Yahtzee reviews

Gorth

:thumbsup: Brayko presents a challenge that requires you to work out very specific strategies to defeat him. Players who recognise this and do so find that he is rewarding, and soon enough, simple - and that's the case in *every* build, including martial arts or SMGs. Players who either don't recognise this and continue to try and win it 'their way', or can't work out a viable strategy, or simply don't have the patience, think he is ridiculous.

Now you could argue that having a boss with that much health in a real world setting is stupid to begin with, sure - but that's a different argument altogether. :)

How do you beat Brayko if you have created a stealth/no combat character?

How is that possible? You probably have some points into gadgets or toughness by that point.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

:thumbsup: Brayko presents a challenge that requires you to work out very specific strategies to defeat him. Players who recognise this and do so find that he is rewarding, and soon enough, simple - and that's the case in *every* build, including martial arts or SMGs. Players who either don't recognise this and continue to try and win it 'their way', or can't work out a viable strategy, or simply don't have the patience, think he is ridiculous.

Now you could argue that having a boss with that much health in a real world setting is stupid to begin with, sure - but that's a different argument altogether. :)

I managed to do it on normal. He was the first boss I faced so I didn't even have that many points in stealth and no points in any other skills. It took a lot of running around and focusing on his minions with an assault rifle. Eventually the minions stopped spawning and it got a bit quite a bit easier as he didn't run off to the top balcony anymore and there weren't any other enemies to worry about.

Depends on what you mean by no combat. Do you mean all points into, say, Technical Aptitude, Stealth and Toughness? That's the only way in which you'd have a character who is unskilled at every kind of combat (4 guns, gadgets, martial arts). If that's the case, I'd say:

(1) By going out of your way to create a character which is deliberately and radically poor at combat, well, you're asking for the game to hand you a smackdown;

(2) Having no skills still doesn't prevent you from using weapons; Shadow Operative is king here, and you should have Brilliance as well, which gives you a huge advantage in outmaneuvring Brayko. Stealth to avoid his knives, get behind him, lob an incendiary grenade and explosion grenade (time it so 2nd explodes when his armour is down) and slam assault rifle at him. He's gone.

I haven't done this, since I never made such a character, but once I did beat him on Hard with Stealth, grenades and SMGs alone, with zero skills in SMGs. So it was pretty close, I just had Overclock to help.

Depends on what you mean by no combat. Do you mean all points into, say, Technical Aptitude, Stealth and Toughness? That's the only way in which you'd have a character who is unskilled at every kind of combat (4 guns, gadgets, martial arts). If that's the case, I'd say:

(1) By going out of your way to create a character which is deliberately and radically poor at combat, well, you're asking for the game to hand you a smackdown;

(2) Having no skills still doesn't prevent you from using weapons; Shadow Operative is king here, and you should have Brilliance as well, which gives you a huge advantage in outmaneuvring Brayko. Stealth to avoid his knives, get behind him, lob an incendiary grenade and explosion grenade (time it so 2nd explodes when his armour is down) and slam assault rifle at him. He's gone.

I haven't done this, since I never made such a character, but once I did beat him on Hard with Stealth, grenades and SMGs alone, with zero skills in SMGs. So it was pretty close, I just had Overclock to help.

In Veteran, I made a character who, by the time I reached Brayko, had maxed out Stealth and Technical Aptitude, while Martial Arts was about halfway in. I couldn't get near him with such skills because as soon as he took out his knives he'd knock off, at the very least, half my health.

And the game was designed for such a character, by the way. It was downright easy, in fact. Except for the boss fights, of course.

If it wasn't for the stealth glitch in that fight, I probably wouldn't have gotten through it. And even then it took ages to ping away at his health with the pistol.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Why go near him? O_o

At first I didn't know he was quite so deadly, and figured my unarmed skills might be enough.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

With shadow op you shouldn't have issues getting close to him.

Who would want to do such a stupid thing?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

My shotgunner says hy.

Your shotgunner is also probably dead.

I shadow OP'd right beside Brayko and beat him with martial arts. Then he had his cutscene where he goes crazy, and because I was right beside him, I beat him up before he was able to pull out his knives and start doing stuff.

For such a "stupid" thing to do, it was probably even easier to pull off than using chain shot. It was certainly much, much faster. Plus you get some hilarious dialogue from Brayko as he screams out barks at you "Ollie Ollie Oxen Free.... whatever the **** that means"

My shotgunner says hy.

Your shotgunner is also probably dead.

Killed Brayko on first try actually.

So did I, I just wasn't on hard, or using veteran.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with this fight.

He telegraphs practically everything.

because it's REALLY hard to wade in and pummel him without getting throttled, where as if you went with ANY remotely long ranged weapon the difficulty drops like crazy. I think most of it stems from his coked up version where basically you either run the heck away from him or try to time your shot perfectly so that you pop him before he manages to start swinging and knock out most of your HP.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well, I guess I'll mark this one up to my gaming style.

I tend to play things very very defensively, even when in close/mid range.

Take your time... wait for your opening... heal when needed... run like hell if things start to go south. :lol:

Take your time... wait for your opening... heal when needed... run like hell if things start to go south. :lol:

That's how I beat Brayko as well, along with a few well-timed (read: damn lucky) chainshots.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

The problem was the teleporting knife attack. He'd be on the other side of them room, then suddenly warp right next to you and take you out with a single stab. I assumed I had to damage him to make him stop, rather than just avoid him so that made it a lot harder.

But mostly it was the horrible controls, Id try to jump out form behind cover and run only to find myself crouchwalking whilst staring directly into a wall somewhere.. whereupon Brayko would teleport next to me and stab me to death.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah I noticed that too, not always but sometimes. He'd even be up on the second floor at times, then bam, he's right on my heels as I try to move to different cover.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Honestly, I think Yahtzee's wittier than a bloodhound, but the song at the end of the review wasn't that bad (though it did remind me of Schoolhouse Rock).

Uh huh... She's hot 2 IMHO!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!