Yahtzee reviews

Gorth

He called it weak and unbalanced, not weak and broken, and it was in reference to the boss combat. He praised the choice and reactivity, as well as the fact that you needed to skill up in a given weapon before being able to use it. His main complaint was that the game forces you into situations which can be very hard if you didn't choose the "right" skills, thus the weak and unbalanced aspect.

Just watched it again and your correct, my mistake. I wonder were I got the broken from.

Because every other reviewer under the sun said it was broken unless you went tech/tough/AR because they were playing the doom marine?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

He called it weak and unbalanced, not weak and broken, and it was in reference to the boss combat. He praised the choice and reactivity, as well as the fact that you needed to skill up in a given weapon before being able to use it. His main complaint was that the game forces you into situations which can be very hard if you didn't choose the "right" skills, thus the weak and unbalanced aspect.

Just watched it again and your correct, my mistake. I wonder were I got the broken from.

Because every other reviewer under the sun said it was broken unless you went tech/tough/AR because they were playing the doom marine?

Yahtzee has shown, if nothing else, that he will not jump on the love or hate bandwagon with the rest of reviewers for a given game. I think his review of AP was rather fair and levelheaded compared to the majority of mainstream reviews I've seen - that's pretty sad, to be honest.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Well, this is surely the dilemma. If we ask for rich complex stories with genuine choice with genuine consequences we can hardly burst into tears when we get it. Which is arguably the root of all his criticisms.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yahtzee has shown, if nothing else, that he will not jump on the love or hate bandwagon with the rest of reviewers for a given game. I think his review of AP was rather fair and levelheaded compared to the majority of mainstream reviews I've seen - that's pretty sad, to be honest.
I'm starting to think he doesn't avoid bandwagons so much as intentionally goes against them.

Actually he seemed a lot kinder to it and better about comparisons than most critics... which is odd.

Uh huh!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

He praised the choice and reactivity, as well as the fact that you needed to skill up in a given weapon before being able to use it. His main complaint was that the game forces you into situations which can be very hard if you didn't choose the "right" skills, thus the weak and unbalanced aspect.

I loved how he "narrated" the Grigori situation :lol: Especially his reason for slamming Grigori's head to the table.

He praised the choice and reactivity, as well as the fact that you needed to skill up in a given weapon before being able to use it. His main complaint was that the game forces you into situations which can be very hard if you didn't choose the "right" skills, thus the weak and unbalanced aspect.

I loved how he "narrated" the Grigori situation :lol: Especially his reason for slamming Grigori's head to the table.

"Well now you're just showing off!"

He's absolutely right, and it really surprised in a bad way that Alpha Protocol had boss fights like Brayko's.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The problem with Brayko's boss fight is it was unavoidable and insanely difficult with most builds. Otherwise it was a really awesome boss fight.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The problem with Brayko's boss fight is it was unavoidable and insanely difficult with most builds. Otherwise it was a really awesome boss fight.

basically, if you were a close in fighter, you're screwed.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I beat Brayko with martial arts. I did have Stealth though. But I only used it to start the fight.

I popped up beside him, and just beat him up. It was actually trivially easy.

Did he use his knife?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

He's preaching to the choir. Ok, so not really, but at least this one listener nods his head sagely, having been campaigning against the atrocities that are minigames, qte's, boss fights etc. in crpgs since more than a decade (depending on when each lack of imagination feature was introduced the first time).

Nice to know I'm not the only person in the world :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I beat Brayko with martial arts. I did have Stealth though. But I only used it to start the fight.

I popped up beside him, and just beat him up. It was actually trivially easy.

Did he use his knife?

I beat him up before he could use his knife. It wasn't that bad given I was already right beside him. He had his little cutscene where he cokes up, and when it returned I just combo'd him to death.

:facepalm: Brayko presents a challenge that requires you to work out very specific strategies to defeat him. Players who recognise this and do so find that he is rewarding, and soon enough, simple - and that's the case in *every* build, including martial arts or SMGs. Players who either don't recognise this and continue to try and win it 'their way', or can't work out a viable strategy, or simply don't have the patience, think he is ridiculous.

Now you could argue that having a boss with that much health in a real world setting is stupid to begin with, sure - but that's a different argument altogether. :)

:facepalm: Brayko presents a challenge that requires you to work out very specific strategies to defeat him. Players who recognise this and do so find that he is rewarding, and soon enough, simple - and that's the case in *every* build, including martial arts or SMGs.

It's actually very simple. Run when he's got his knives out.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Brayko was the toughest fight, but when I figured out a decent strategy, it was over in one attempt. But I did need to use my characters skills.

Chainshot to the face to start things off, then I planted a incendiary grenade at my location. With the help of Shadow Operative I moved ta another hiding place while Brayko stormed my first location only to get hit by the fire blast. Then it was just a few more shots (or possibly a chain shot) and he was down.

I wish more fights in games were like that, actually requiring thought and strategy.

The AP review was old-school Yahtzee, just dead-on hillarious critiscism. The Mike Thornton is a douche/ponce/annoying idiot parts were especially delightful since it was my exact opinion.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

:thumbsup: Brayko presents a challenge that requires you to work out very specific strategies to defeat him. Players who recognise this and do so find that he is rewarding, and soon enough, simple - and that's the case in *every* build, including martial arts or SMGs. Players who either don't recognise this and continue to try and win it 'their way', or can't work out a viable strategy, or simply don't have the patience, think he is ridiculous.

Now you could argue that having a boss with that much health in a real world setting is stupid to begin with, sure - but that's a different argument altogether. :)

How do you beat Brayko if you have created a stealth/no combat character?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: