Yahtzee reviews

Gorth

Hey, I like Obsidian, but I have to admit I'm as worried as anyone about whether or not they'll come out with a polished and completed game. They're sort of known for bugs and incomplete stories.

As of this tiem last year it is my opinion that orginal themes and original mechanics INEVITABLY end up with some bugs. Because hwen you are being original you hit original problems that by definition you didn't know to expect. You are also usually dealing with far more complex degrees of freedom.

This is a pretty revolutionary angle, but I really am taking it: bugs aren't necessarily a sign of badness.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hey, I like Obsidian, but I have to admit I'm as worried as anyone about whether or not they'll come out with a polished and completed game. They're sort of known for bugs and incomplete stories.

To be honest, after hearing a lot of people pleased with Alpha Protocol NOT being plagued with bugs and generally more polished than Obsidian's previous games (granted, the complaints about controls, ai and graphics show that they still have a lot of hard work for the next year to come if they want to become a REALLY respected studio) and the fact that there's Josh at the helm of the project (his interviews about NWN2 pretty much convinced me that if he had been at the helm of the project from the beginning Obsids could have made a much more polished game, not wanting to diss Ferret but he WAS overambitious for NWN2) with a 18/24 months timeframe (not much, but it's not nearly as bad as KOTOR2) made me a bit more optimistic.

Then I hear about the game 'still not being in alpha state as far as the content goes' by Todd Howard (who sounded HAPPY about the thing, lol) and I'm a bit less optimistic.

.... Which means I'll have to wait for the game to come out before judging the bugginess.

The game pretty much sounded very underwhelming, considering the development time.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I was pretty interested in Alan Wake, but it had the misfortune of being released on the same day as Red Dead and within half a month of Alpha Protocol and I usually don't like buying 2 games so close together, let alone 3 and Alan Wake was the short straw of the group. I've added it to a growing list of 'will play someday' along with Borderlands, Batman AA & a few other titles.

I was pretty interested in Alan Wake, but it had the misfortune of being released on the same day as Red Dead and within half a month of Alpha Protocol and I usually don't like buying 2 games so close together, let alone 3 and Alan Wake was the short straw of the group. I've added it to a growing list of 'will play someday' along with Borderlands, Batman AA & a few other titles.

For the best result, I recommend Borderlands when (if) it becomes really cheap or when you find a good sale/bargain, and definitely with 2-3 friends buying with you.

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

First review in awhile that made me lol. Specifically the "love of his country" bit.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

NWN2 could marry my sister, if I didn't like it too much to let it.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I can't compute how anyone could like NWN1 more than NWN2? Unless perhaps they were some sort of postman idiot savant.

-Elwood Blues

I can't compute how anyone could like NWN1 more than NWN2? Unless perhaps they were some sort of postman idiot savant.

The expansions were actually pretty nice, the multiplayer was far stronger (I don't know how NWN2's multiplayer is now, but at release it was a mess) and the modding tools were easier to use, so we have a LOT MORE mods to play with, though, to be pretty honest, the average level of quality is lower than NWN2's.

Also, some found the interface and absence of a party better, not to mention that the combat felt more alive with NWN's animations (.... they screwed up attacks of opportunity though, so I'm glad that Obsidian took them out, though they could have done a better job at making combat interesting to see).

The expansions were actually pretty nice, the multiplayer was far stronger (I don't know how NWN2's multiplayer is now, but at release it was a mess) and the modding tools were easier to use, so we have a LOT MORE mods to play with, though, to be pretty honest, the average level of quality is lower than NWN2's.

Also, some found the interface and absence of a party better, not to mention that the combat felt more alive with NWN's animations (.... they screwed up attacks of opportunity though, so I'm glad that Obsidian took them out, though they could have done a better job at making combat interesting to see).

If the add ons were goood I don't want to slander them. But the original campaign was as much fun as being ordered around by that wheelchair guy in Little Britain.

-Elwood Blues

If the add ons were goood I don't want to slander them. But the original campaign was as much fun as being ordered around by that wheelchair guy in Little Britain.

Yeah, the OC was as bad as Bioware gets.. never really understood what happened, they must have had some problems during development.

There were a couple of fun side quests, and that's about it.

As for the two add-ons, honestly, opinions vary, and the first is generally reputed to be worse than the second (Hordes) but I still enjoyed them.

Betraying your allies (convinced that you've been announced as their hero by a prophecy no less!) mid campaign to help a drow queen was great fun, even if it didn't mean anything in the end (pure railroading leads you to the same end chapter anyway).

True, Khelgar alone makes my money spent on it all the worthwhile. And Qara. And Sand. And their fighting in the Sunken Flagon. Damn, I think I need to go find my disks, reinstall and play it all over again!

Sand was so awesome.

Judge: And you, Sand? Anything more you wish to add that you did not say in the first three hours?

Sand: Only that the dress the ambassador is wearing is clearly out of fashion, a blatant attempt to distract the court from the matter at hand, and is more appropriate for a Docks prostitute than a diplomatic envoy. Thank you.

Anyone have the voiced link handy?

Edited by Oner

"I can't compute how anyone could like NWN1 more than NWN2?"

That's easy. NWN1 is far, and away better. the two OCs are about equal but sorry nothing makes me laugh more than people claiming a story about having a sword up your butt is better than *anything*. That's laughable. Plus, NWN2 is brought down by one of the sozziest games ever.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.