Yahtzee reviews

Gorth

Oner is right. Of all the things Yahtzee could have praised GoW over DMC he chose the one that makes no sense at all, since DMC emphasizes style far more than GoW.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Ok guys he made a mistake. Get over it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I must have missed that part.

Maybe he has selective amnesia? Who cares? It's just a videogame about dudes with too many belts, geez.

Feel free to boycott him and send him angry letters.

Edited by Purkake

Okay, I have to write this down somewhere, you are the lucky ones.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...-Dantes-Inferno

"I'm a little tired of the term God of War Clone. God of War took its style of hack and slash gameplay directly from Devil May Cry, which evolved it from previous games."

-The Youth Counselor

I've heard this argument before, and it doesn't hold weight for me. Being the first doesn't necessarily mean you get to be the benchmark: Doom was the game that put FPSes on the map, after all, despite Wolfenstein 3D being the first (and there were others that were even earlier, like Catacomb 3-D). Devil May Cry might have created a model for frantic hack-and-slash gameplay, but God of War gave it style.

Yahtzee.

YOU ****ING MOROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And then there was the second paragraph

Besides, despite similarities in the core gameplay, God of War and Devil May Cry aren't cut from the same cloth. It seems more like they're heading vaguely towards the same place from vastly different directions. DMC has more of the Japanese-style hack and slash about it - extremely over-the-top, with more emphasis on combat variety and less on level design, and with end-of-mission scoring screens that give a more arcade-y feel. Whereas God of War's model has greater emphasis on environments and storytelling but with gameplay that's more function-over-style, treating monsters more as obstacles to get past than opportunities to show off your skills. And that's what Dante's Inferno rips off. So there.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Then I guess it comes down to style. Devil May Cry is more about the style of action than characters, environment, or story. God of War is more of a brutal version of DMC with a stylish set of characters environments and a good story, which appears to be what he's getting at. DMC is ONLY style, God of War is significantly more.

DMC isn't exactly the most significant intellectual work of the millenium, but saying the environment, characters and story aren't stylish is just untrue. I could just as well say GoW is ONLY gore while DMC is significantly more. At least, more than you think it is. ;)

Unless I'm misunderstanding you somewhere.

DMC isn't exactly the most significant intellectual work of the millenium, but saying the environment, characters and story aren't stylish is just untrue. I could just as well say GoW is ONLY gore while DMC is significantly more. At least, more than you think it is. ;)

Unless I'm misunderstanding you somewhere.

Not saying they don't have SOME style, but that GoW's is better done and (in my eyes) has more style to it.

Not saying they don't have SOME style, but that GoW's is better done and (in my eyes) has more style to it.

I would argue that GoW has more substance over style. The focus of the game is brutality not style, fights in it are meant to be an ordeal, an obstacle and not the center.

Plus when it comes to side arms DM>GoW.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Nothing wrong with Oner's post from where I'm standing. :sorcerer:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

....and another that i will not bother with, thanks to mr. Yahtzee.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

....and another that i will not bother with, thanks to mr. Yahtzee.

If you use ZP as your main source of reviews, it doesn't seem like you'll buy very many games... I think he's only liked 3 games that he's reviewed (Bioshock, Portal, and... something else)...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

If you use ZP as your main source of reviews, it doesn't seem like you'll buy very many games... I think he's only liked 3 games that he's reviewed (Bioshock, Portal, and... something else)...
Psychonauts, you heretic.