Dragon age discussion

Gorth

am positive that the exit grid for dalish camp gots one. circle tower in hallway just before you encounter wynne for first time. orzamar before you enter proving grounds... and elsewhere. oten/orten/whatever thaig gots one... just after entering map, and right before you come upon that first ogre corpse. am not recalling one in haven, but am reasonably sure we got some chatter just before entering gauntlet.

truth-to-tell, our party were extreme chatty. with all the backtracking we did to have the french girl open chests and dog "find" items, we musta heard every chatter option a few times 'cause jnpcs did begin repeating selves after a while. if Gromnir were wynne, we woulda' been mighty offended that allister kept asking her 'bout getting knocked up. very crass.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There are 'banter spots' basically in every major civilized area. Some evn have two. Sometimes they do repeat. The diea of having palces where random banter starts is cool; but the execution was too obvious. Shouldn't be obvious where/when something triggers. <>

Overall, the DA npcs talk quite abit. Way more than any BIO game including BG2. With basically every quest (barring the really simple board ones) at least once npc will say something.

Finally took Zev into my part. Love the whole pick up scenario. Funny.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not sure why they choose to make hot spots for inter-party dialog. A random timer would have been much better I think and make more sense.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I loathed the random timer in Baldur's Gate 2. Though BG2 suffered from the part that I couldn't instigate dialogue as well. But it was always absurd when two NPCs would decide to have a spat right as we walked into a dragon's lair.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

My gaming experience has improved markedly. I fought a dragon on top of a mountain and I was pretty happy with it, happy enough to reload to play it again. I'm not unapologetic for my initial rage though because the mage tower and the fade are still incredibly horrible levels and I'm still not completely sold just yet.

Inventory and items are seriously starting to piss me off. I keep on having to break stuff just to fit it in my pack even though I'm just going to sell it to a merchant since 99% of the stuff is crap. I'm still using gear that's like 8 hours old and its still better than the "epics" I'm fighting for now. Also the tiered system lacks integrity. Etc.

Other than that, I have no idea what is going on most of the time but ignorance is bliss I suppose. And by bliss I mean being punched in the groin while eating french onion soup on a fantastically cold night.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I loathed the random timer in Baldur's Gate 2. Though BG2 suffered from the part that I couldn't instigate dialogue as well. But it was always absurd when two NPCs would decide to have a spat right as we walked into a dragon's lair.

What DA needs, is more triggers to initiate banter. However if they do that, people that aren't interested in the characters will complain about having to listen to it. It's a no-win situation.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

More triggers? It has a lot already. More would just be overkill.

Neevr got the inventory not being enough. Problem with DA's inventory system is it gives you way too much space. I always had room to grab everything even when I had a rogue and before I bought some backpacks. To me, they should give a very limited carrying capicty per character with both size and weight limitations. And, when you go on the world map for traveling there should be a chance things can get taken. To compaicite, you should be able to purchase a donkey/wagon for extra ph@t lewt if needed... but, that should have a chance to be taken too while exploring but you get the option of having a group of characters guard it. <>

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Banter?

Options > Gameplay > Banter On / Off

Simple, treat like blood spatter. The developers have an extremely detailed tactics options system but you can't shut the NPCs up. Strange.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Banter?

Options > Gameplay > Banter On / Off

Simple, treat like blood spatter. The developers have an extremely detailed tactics options system but you can't shut the NPCs up. Strange.

Actually I don't think it'd be that simple at all. I know we as fans always love options, but fans ask for this sort of stuff all the time without realizing that it's not just a simple piece of code to implement (even though they often "help" us by sending us pseudo code).

I haven't looked around in the code too much, but I'm not aware of any hooks whatsoever that would exist to make this feasible. Even if it was implemented from the start, I think it'd probably be more trouble that it'd be worth. I think it's at a healthy balance right now.

Actually I don't think it'd be that simple at all. I know we as fans always love options, but fans ask for this sort of stuff all the time without realizing that it's not just a simple piece of code to implement (even though they often "help" us by sending us pseudo code).

If it ain't easy, it should be easy and someone has made bad design choices with the engine. Disable "banter" triggers globally. Then again, I think I hate Dragon Age engine even more then Gamebryo so it'd only make sense if something as simple as that would be hidden under tons of code :lol:

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Then have a flag for every area. chat=0 no possibility for random banter, chat=1 then a chance.

this way you can set what areas are appropite for such and no talk about shoes in the deep roads for example.

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I don't find the banter that annoying, in fact the acoustics for some reason mean that I have to zoom right in to hear it.

Alistair's explanation of Fereldan cuisine to Imoen-Chick was actually rather witty ("you have to cook everything until it's completely grey...")

sonsofgygax.JPG

As I've mentioned before I don't really play magic-users in RPGs. Warriors? Yeah, Rogues? Definitely. Clerics? Why not?

But the nerdy mage who stands at the back casting sleep? Nope.

Dragon Age changes that, right? After all, it's the most powerful class, you are a walking avatar of arcane power, capable of dealing with any given problem as long as you have one or two side-kicks to kite for you. There's all those spell effects to experiment with, Blood Magic, Arcane Warrior, blowing stuff up...

But...

You look like an idiot. For. The. Entire. Game. Maybe I shouldn't care that mage-hats look like condoms with teeth. Maybe wearing Liberace's dressing gown for fifty hours of gameplay should be strangely liberating.

OTOH, even my crap rogue who dies all the time looks like Russell Crowe in Gladiator. My warrior looks completely badass, straight out of King Arthur, y'know the Dark Ages Special forces version with Keira Knightley in camouflage paint.

So, i've already given up on my mage in Hogwarts. He looks so goofy it's making me laugh. This is the power trade-off that the developers decided was the best way to balance Dragon Age - you might be Ownage personified, but you are gonna look like an extra from a really bad pantomime for the entire game.

LOL!

sonsofgygax.JPG

You look like an idiot. For. The. Entire. Game. Maybe I shouldn't care that mage-hats look like condoms with teeth. Maybe wearing Liberace's dressing gown for fifty hours of gameplay should be strangely liberating.

You sir win best quote of the week award! LOL

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

That's why you become an Arcane Warrior asap, don Dragonbone/Juggernaut Armour and start swinging Spellweaver.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

That's the same reaction a friend and I had to KotOR's Mandalorian soldiers.

Hey look, the Condomhead Army is here!

Leliana's banter with Morrigan was pretty boring, and weird. Talking about shoes while you're strolling around in the Deep Roads... huh. :grin:

Nah that was pretty c00l. What better of a place to talk about shoes, traveling down the Deep Roads.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

What DA needs, is more triggers to initiate banter. However if they do that, people that aren't interested in the characters will complain about having to listen to it. It's a no-win situation.

They need more banters with not just your character but with other NPCs in the party or those people you meet along your travels.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

OTOH, even my crap rogue who dies all the time looks like Russell Crowe in Gladiator. My warrior looks completely badass, straight out of King Arthur, y'know the Dark Ages Special forces version with Keira Knightley in camouflage paint.

*points at enormous shoulder pads & Dalish Elf bra armour*

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.