Mirror's Edge help!

Arkan

(please move to Skeeter's if necessary)

Just got Mirror's Edge today through EADM. Installed and started up just fine. I ran through the training/first level just fine and found the game to be very interesting.

So I make it to the second level, and after the cutscene with the sister and SWAT enters, my game slows to a crawl, making it impossible to play. What could be causing this?

Here is my setup:

Dell XPS 9000

Vista x64 Home Premium, SP2

Core i7 920 2.66 GHz

GeForce GTX 260 1.75GB (with latest drivers installed)

Onboard 7.1 audio.

I've tried disabling Physx and lowering the settings (which shouldn't be necessary...I can run Crysis maxed out perfectly!)

PLEASE HELP!

Edit: I am running the latest patch (1.01 PhysX) according to EADM

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Hmm...I found something interesting about this issue, here:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/mirrors...d-solution.html

seems it is PhysX related, but Mass Effect is causing a craptastic experience with Mirror's Edge. Both EA games, both have initials of ME...coincidence? Or conspiracy?

I'll try the solution on that page later. If it works, and there is no permanent fix for it, I'll just finish ME and then play ME afterward....

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

It might also be a SecuROM trigger - I seem to remember that there was one around that level that would make your game slow down so much that it became unplayable. :p

the problems I've read about associated with SecuROM are that the character slows down to a walk, not so much that the game drops to about 5 fps.

I had the same problem and mine was the Physx setting that somehow screwed up.. I found an installation online and upgraded it separately which helped, but not much (from 5 fps to 15 or something). I just got through that level and after that the game went smooth again.

Fortune favors the bald.

Hmm...I found something interesting about this issue, here:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/mirrors...d-solution.html

seems it is PhysX related, but Mass Effect is causing a craptastic experience with Mirror's Edge. Both EA games, both have initials of ME...coincidence? Or conspiracy?

I'll try the solution on that page later. If it works, and there is no permanent fix for it, I'll just finish ME and then play ME afterward....

This seems to have been the culprit. I reinstalled the latest PhysX drivers. Restarted the computer and played Mirror's Edge perfectly. Now to load up Mass Effect then Mirror's Edge to see if I can recreat the scenario.

You seem to attract bugs like honey attracts flies. I can't remember the last time I had trouble getting a game to work or ran into a game-stopping bug.

Maybe an exorcism of the PC is in order?

Haha, maybe.

But, yep, it was Mass Effect that was causing the problem. I played a bit then launched Mirror's Edge and I got the slowdown again. I'll just have to finish Mass Effect first, I guess. I dont' want to keep reinstalling PhysX to play Mirror's Edge after playing Mass Effect every time.

I'll finish Mass Effect then do a clean install of Windows 7. Maybe that will get rid of the Vista stigma.