Dragon Age Tactics

Monte Carlo

--- Dragon Age: Origins Tactics Thread ----

Note to moderators: Please don't delete. This is the biggest fantasy CRPG release for some time, many of us want to discuss this aspect of the game and the other threads (although enjoyable) do not adequately address the issues. No, we can't all bugger off to the Bio boards. They are all over the place. Plus, we like it here.

Hello, please post your tactical advice here, along with character builds, spell combos and so on. Please use spoiler tags where appropriate, although I'm sure we can all use our discretion and assume that most of us are a certain way through the game. No general comments, reviews, spamming and so on. Many thanks.

Starter for Ten... The Rogue Question. Not since Schleswig-Holstein has there been so much bafflement. All ideas welcome.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

awesome thread, i was hoping we'd get one of these!

my ideas on the rogue: strength to around the upper 20's, then cunning for sure. use dual wielding, not archery

ive been using leliana in my party (to open chests) and she's doing fine in combat once i gave her a sword and dagger combo and make sure to always have her flanking my tanks target. I NEVER send her anywhere on her own. she just cant take any damage

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

When health <= 25%, use smallest potion.

:brows:

also, give your mage a healing spell and have them use it frequently

"No need for strength when you get Lethality, your build fails"

fails?

you cant use the good weapons for dual wielding without strength... no need for lethality early on when coup de grace is better, save lethality for when your cunning is at least 5 or 6 points higher than your strength

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

+backstab daggers with some sweet runes have been doing the job for me...

With ~20 strength to use armor and stuff.

i guess, i just feel like having a good sword and the best dagger available is a better option for damage dealing than two daggers, but i dont really know i could be wrong.

dead wrong.

Note to moderators: Please don't delete. This is the biggest fantasy CRPG release for some time, many of us want to discuss this aspect of the game and the other threads (although enjoyable) do not adequately address the issues. No, we can't all bugger off to the Bio boards. They are all over the place. Plus, we like it here.

Hello, please post your tactical advice here, along with character builds, spell combos and so on. Please use spoiler tags where appropriate, although I'm sure we can all use our discretion and assume that most of us are a certain way through the game. No general comments, reviews, spamming and so on. Many thanks.

For the record, I'm getting mine next week and am appreciating all threads on the subject I can follow without the fear of massive story spoilers. :brows:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I actually did a rogue with around 17 str and it worked okay in the endgame on normal. Dex was the highest stat, leading to a respectable defense rating with +def items. I also put a fair amount into willpower so I could use abilities while dueling & momentum were active.

Lastly, I applied the unofficial dagger bug fix, so that might've skewed things in favor of my dex build.

i thought you were whining about my strength suggestion being around 26-28, yours is only 4 points from that!!!!

a jerkface is you!

(insult is joke not mean)

No need for strength when you get Lethality, your build fails, entrerix.

I put my strength to 25 (27 with buffs) to get Tier 6 swords, which really helped.

*dances around in circle*

see see

"<="

This symbol is very key.

Obvious strategy is that for the most part you should only focus on one weapon style epr character. No need to have a character skilled in both two weapon and two hander style. Only possible exception is a build for melee and archery though most warriors shouldn't need archery.

If you are an archer don't be afraid to buy, and use special arrows.

Healing a must. Either get Wynne as soon as posisble or don't be shy about having Morrigan learn a few heal spells. This isn't D&D, mages don't need to be pegion holed into offense vs defense. Heck, be sure to give Wynne at least 1 or 2 major damage spells.

Try to target spellcasters first if at all possible.

If possible, kiill lesser enemies first as even they cna use talents to stun, and do damage. Boss characters that come in groups ar emuch easier to deal with when they are alone.

Do not be afraid to use lyrium, and heal poutices.

If you ar egonna lean on the AI, take your time and learn how the tatics system works. For the most part, in major battles, don't eb shy to switch between characters. Melee characetrs are mostly fine by themselves, but don't be shy to pitch in for decision for mage spellcasting.

Stunning attacks - both melee or spells - are a must. Duh.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Quick question about the Sleep spell: Is it like D&D in that certain types of enemies (e.g., zombies, demons, constructs, etc.) cannot be put to sleep? I've been working my Mage along both the Sleep and Paralyze lines (thinking to use one against enemies with weak mental resistance, and the other against enemies with weak physical resistance), and knowledge of any exceptions would be helpful in deciding what to prioritize.