Dragon Age Discussion

CoM_Solaufein

Question time: I gave Leliana her flower, was it a good or a bad thing I didn't ask for a kiss? :ermm:

Bad thing if you're trying to screw over Morrigan as much as possible.

I think I botched the love-triangle-shtick yesterday. Leliana asked my PC whether there was something more between Alistair and PC (pretty weird thing to ask after kissing in front of her several times, but anyway) and I chose the straight-up honest answer. :lol:

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I've only played through two origins - first as an elf magi, then as an elf rogue, but I'm wondering: where is this dark fantasy I was promised? Is it coming later? Because so far it feels pretty high fantasy to me.

As I said in another post, it's about as dark as the ending of White Christmas.

sonsofgygax.JPG

In other news, I spared Zevran because he knows six different card games, twelve massages and is good at parties. And he sounds like Zorro. You see, I don't care if he's about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike in combat, he makes me laugh so he's in.

What gifts does he like?

sonsofgygax.JPG

observation:

please note that Gromnir ain't calling the da rogue "useless". we played through origin and osterwhatzitz with rogue and it seemed perfect viable... but the rogue concept in da is kinda wacky and seeming illogical. is either an archer or two-fisted fighter that gots access to stealth and lockpicking... though oddly 'nuff, any character, regardless of class, can choose trap making or picking of pockets. as irrational as the d&d ranger was (inspired by some nightmarish amalgam of drizz't and aragorn), bioware's rogue makes even less sense. also, as bio has chosen to hide the rules o' the game from view, it is difficult to figure out how to build such a character... especially as the info we has concerning the mechanics o' daggers and bows is current wrong as such stuff is bugged. we know that cunning is important for rogue, but is not easy to see exactly why based on in-game descriptions.

am simply not seeing a point for rogue, and with rules hidden and mechanics broken it is difficult to approach character building rationally. is not that rogues is useless... 'cause they ain't useless. rogues IS wacky. warrior-lite with potential for lockpicking and a couple extra skill points? why? why make such a class?

we wanna play a rogue, cause they ain't necessary useless... and 'cause the two rogue jnpcs is useless. am sick and tired of returning to maps after combat to disarm traps and 1007 chests.

once bio figures out problems with daggers and bows...

once somebody unravels actual mechanics o' da rulez...

once Gromnir gets finished with our first play through...

*shrug*

is not that da rogues is useless... is that their usefulness seems forced and awkward.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I thought the Dwarf city did a good job of capturing a more mature element. The whole caste system is pretty jacked up. Maybe you should stop choosing to play a pansy elf?

Well, I thought it would be all "dark, gritty and mature" because of the whole zomg elf slavery /zomg thing, but so far it's been kinda lame and predictable. I guess I'll play a dwarf next.

Gromnir said it better than I did (damn his eyes!), it's almost as if the developers won't allow optimal NPC builds as not to steal the glory from the PC.

Which is rubbish, please give me optimally built NPCs to give me a clue how to build a good character for myself later. It's not as if the rules are particularly transparent or anything, are they? 8.40 damage? Huh?

I want a rogue who can open locks, lob grenades, be a half-decent mage-attrition archer and lend a decent hand in combat.

Purkake - I am now committed to my Human Noble Warrior game, am 22% of the way through and want to finish. Also, now have Dragon Armour, that makes me look like a Cylon. Ha ha ha.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm sick of these moments where one is supposed to enter a conspicuously large room and get ambushed by a horde of enemies, but instead one tries to use some tactics and hold back the entire party save Imoen-chick who is supposed to lure some mooks with her bow.

But instead, what then happens is that the 'ambush' triggers and enemies literally appear out of nowhere next to the rest of your party.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

As I said before, manage your expectations, this game will not lead you to the promised land or die for your sins, it's just another video game.

Thanks, Captain. Mind your cape.

Just don't step on it.

Purkake - I am now committed to my Human Noble Warrior game, am 22% of the way through and want to finish. Also, now have Dragon Armour, that makes me look like a Cylon. Ha ha ha.

:thumbsup:

I thought the Dwarf city did a good job of capturing a more mature element. The whole caste system is pretty jacked up. Maybe you should stop choosing to play a pansy elf?

Gromnir is an "every point counts" kinda guy. the forced stealing skill for level 1 rogue is wasted.

also, we played the first 5 minutes o' the dwarven rogue commoner origin. were kinda... thick. bio writers has not yet figured out that writing text that is read is a different skill than is writing for live (or digital) actors. dialogue that seem ok on paper may become sappy, maudlin or excessive when given voice and actor talents. however, we does agree that the dwarven caste system seems far more interesting from the commoner pov.

our first rogue play will be dwarf. origin material impact not seem great or significant past the origin material, but we does see potential for both dwarf commoner and noble.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You know what, I've thus far failed to mention how stable and un-buggy this game is, and for that alone Bioware deserve a little bit more credit (damn it, three Bio plaudits in a day, I must return to the lab and put this right!).

The only bug I've discovered is minor but supremely annoying. Alistair says something along the lines of "Can you get a ladder? So you can get off my back." It's one of the most annoying NPC lines since Ira in JA2 ("You got my ear!"), difference being I could switch it off.

Am currently in Soldier's Peak and he's not even in my party but I'm still getting it, as if the ghost of Alistair is always with me. It's bloody annoying, probably a minor bug that will be squished in a patch.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

But instead, what then happens is that the 'ambush' triggers and enemies literally appear out of nowhere next to the rest of your party.

it doesn't seem to be doing this in the NWN (1 or 2) fashion in which you get pulled into the middle of the room and then surrounded. the forced cut-scene configurations always piss me off.

taks

comrade taks... just because.