Dragon Age Discussion

CoM_Solaufein

Don't worry about it Hurlshot,

the other guy was an opportunistic bigot who hated poor people, I kept the forge and he didn't wait long to feed all the outcasts to the every hungry soul-eater.. so I'm beginning to think Bhelen wasn't such a bad choice..

Fortune favors the bald.

I don't know... I guess we can always hope for more (I do too), but I did enjoy the Fallout-esque summaries of the character's and locations you visit at the end. I also enjoyed dealing with Redcliffe's situation, especially since I didn't know of the third option at that time.

Sure, I liked the summary too. It could have used a narrator though. But the choices didn't really come back to haunt you during the game.

Spoiler!:

I let Flemeth live, and I expected to get something juicy from it during the game, but I got nothing. Although that is understandable if my suspicions are correct about Morrigan and Flemeth. But still, not much consequences during the game.

What would be an example? I know it won't be perfect, but going back to Redcliffe, I was happy to see myself get a verbal lashing from Alistair at the party camp after my solution.

When you see the archdemon in Deep Roads, nobody says a word. When you go to find Sten's sword, and the guy who found it says that he sold it, Sten says nothing during the whole discussion. They don't speak to each other in the camp at all. Stuff like that bothers me.

I think it's mature in that it's dark, where sometimes the choice you make is the lesser of two evils (or greater, if you prefer). There have actually been posts on the main board of people complaining that it's TOO dark and depressing, so I guess your mileage may vary.

Yeah I've seen the topic in DA forums :) But yes, I think it does need a lot of efford to shock me with these things.

Damn the woman who sings in some songs in DA can sing! The song that plays in end credits is really beatiful, and the remix in cool too.

Spoiler!:

I let Flemeth live, and I expected to get something juicy from it during the game, but I got nothing. Although that is understandable if my suspicions are correct about Morrigan and Flemeth. But still, not much consequences during the game.

So you expected something that could never happen and it's the game's fault ?

1.13 killed off Ja2.

:)

So now when the game is released, it is suddenly prohibited to say anything bad about the game? Shouldn't it be the other way around, if anything?

Nah. you can say anything you want about the game. And, we can agree or disagree with you all we want. That's why it is a DISCUSSION thread not an I AGREE WITH YOU thread.

Differing opinions, and views is a good thing.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So now when the game is released, it is suddenly prohibited to say anything bad about the game? Shouldn't it be the other way around, if anything?

you should rank every bio and obsidian rpg in your opinion and then show where you put DA. because i ask nicedly

pleez

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

What would be an example? I know it won't be perfect, but going back to Redcliffe, I was happy to see myself get a verbal lashing from Alistair at the party camp after my solution.

When you see the archdemon in Deep Roads, nobody says a word. When you go to find Sten's sword, and the guy who found it says that he sold it, Sten says nothing during the whole discussion. They don't speak to each other in the camp at all. Stuff like that bothers me.

That's odd, Sten mouthed off a few times in my play through when we were pursuing the sword. Considering his demeanor, I thought it was clear how concerned he was about it and that he was likely to kill anyone who got in his way.

I couldn't get a romance with Leliana going, so I went over to Morrigan and asked if she wasn't ever lonely in the big forest.. that made her go from "friendly" to "caring", even if the approval number was the same. So my guess is that you have to trigger a specific dialouge that "flirts", I think this is true with everyone. Like saying you approve of the elfs homosexual tendencies. :) I had also done her quest, so maybe that is necessary.

No I did her quests, got her ring, did the romance, but I didn't get a different ending. First playthrough Morrigan epilogue with her romance, no different from second playthrough with Leliana romance. I suspect it might be because of the type character I played, he wasn't a nice guy and agreed with the love is a weakness convo and took the low path through a lot of the adventure. Maybe the epilogue is reserved for those who play the nice guy.

I'm loving Dragon Age, but I'd say it is more combat heavy than the last few Bioware games. In fact I was really feeling like Orzimar and the Deep Roads were a bit of a grind, but the reward at the end was worth it. What I'm really enjoying is the tough moral choices, like the dwarf one:

There is more combat in DAO then in other games, but there is also a hell of a lot more dialogue then in Bio previous games. There is also a ton of banter between characters, that is certain to parts of each place(Orzimar bridge leading to prowess). If you ask me they didn't put in enough triggers for the banter to start, unless you deliberately look for these triggers, you won't hear half of it between two characters, nevermind the other seven.

One of the best ones was Morrigan complaining about Leliana staring at her breasts. :)

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Nope, I'm looking at get-up animations. A bad stand up comedy if you will.

eh? am thinking you miss the point. am imagining that golems is 'posed to look clumsy. furthermore, golems has gotta have some drawback or there wouldn't be no challenge at all. have your golem spring up off the mat like some chinese gymnast would not only look silly, but it would be unfair. just as the big 2-h weapons is ponderous/ridiculous slow, so too is your golem.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Sorry, you're missing the point. An ogre fight consists of sitting there, waiting for the ogre to finish spamming his skills so I can use 2 skills on 'im. Everything else is waiting for the golem to slowly get up (fun fact: enemies get up faster from knockdowns than you, a fireball and a melee group hug kindly demonstrated it to me) just to be knocked down again. Boring and unfair.

Besides, the drawback of the golem is weakness against magic. You couldn't even beat the ogre without the golem morph, so it's not like you have a choice.

In other news, Bio was kind enough to line up increasingly difficult and utterly pointless scripted encounters for me (<3 that friendly darkspawn 4v4+8 archers, just so Wynne can have a collapse cinematic), so I'm basically stuck. Wohoo.

And no, I won't set the game on easy.

you should rank every bio and obsidian rpg in your opinion and then show where you put DA. because i ask nicedly

pleez

Eh, it's really hard to me to compare the older games to modern games. If I think about BG2, alot of the goodness I see in it is just pure nostalgia. And the thing with KotOR is that I really liked the game when it came out, but nowdays I really can't force myself to play it, unless someone offers money from it. But I give a shot:

1. NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer

2. Baldur's Gate 2

3. Dragon Age. Yep :) I didn't say it was a BAD game, I just kinda hoped that it would have shown a new direction to RPG's.

4. Mass Effect

5. KotOR 2

6. KotOR

5. NWN 2

6. NWN

I haven't played the rest.

if you had STARTED with that chart then a lot of ugliness could have been avoided !!!!!!!!!!

whoah, and your chart looks almost EXACTLY like mine too

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

No Planescape?

Burn the heathen!

HOOLY HELL!! Planescape is the number 1 or 2! How the hell I forgot that one!

Edit:

No Planescape?

Burn the heathen!

bio and obsidian rpg

Oh right.

Edited by Slinky

One thing I like about DA is alot of the encounters make sense. If you are going to kill a random merchant, he doesn't suddenly gain the ability to summon frost demons just to make the encounter challenging. You plunge your knife into him a few times as he takes a few pathetic swings and its over. No mercenary legions pouring out of a back room to defend a broke merchant.

But then at certain points it abandons that completely in the name of making battles challenging. Why are a room full of mercenaries sitting around indefinitely at the perfect position to defend a dining hall while mages hide in the back corner as far away from the door you HAVE to enter through as possible, in perfect spell-slinging location. They sit around like that all day I assume? They are psychic?

I do welcome the challenge though, and would rather have the tough encounters I've had, then steamrolling everything. I'm loving the game even though the challenge at some points is really artificial.

I'm more surprised at the production values, I haven't seen a single random encounter use the same map and most of them are more than just a bunch of "bandits" or whatnot. It's kind of sad how much better it is in DA than in ME, which literally had like three different level designs for all the side-quests.

BIS->Obsidian.
A BIS game is a BIS game, an Obs game is an Obs game. :)

But it's (mostly) the same people under a different name...

Edited by Purkake

Lesbian hot sex alert!

My character went to a brothel and got laid.

I guess.

Ho hum affair it was. Wasn't really that hot.

There will probably be a mod made that makes such encounters more thrilling.

Trying to start a romance with Leliana.

Currently taking care of business at Redcliffe. Some undead killing and save the arl.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

"BIS->Obsidian"

No.

"But it's (mostly) the same people under a different name..."

Mostly? IIRC, Obsidian has 100+ employees, and maybe 20-25 of them AT MOST worked at BIS/INTERPLAY. Outside, of the top 3-4 Obsidian bigwigs (guys like Mr. U), the connection to BIS is not there.

To me, it's a disservice to Obsidian to compare it to BIS. BIS was a failed division of a company barely hanging on for dear live while Obsidian has made mostly successful sequels to successful games. And, outside of the cancelation of one of their proposed games, they seem to be doing okay as a company.

In essence...

DEATH TO BIS LONG LIVE OBSIDIAN (not counting soz)!!!!!

ON TOPIC: DA is good but it does have some annoyances...

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Nope, I'm looking at get-up animations. A bad stand up comedy if you will.

eh? am thinking you miss the point. am imagining that golems is 'posed to look clumsy. furthermore, golems has gotta have some drawback or there wouldn't be no challenge at all. have your golem spring up off the mat like some chinese gymnast would not only look silly, but it would be unfair. just as the big 2-h weapons is ponderous/ridiculous slow, so too is your golem.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Sorry, you're missing the point. An ogre fight consists of sitting there, waiting for the ogre to finish spamming his skills so I can use 2 skills on 'im.

your inability to use golem and other shapes is not Gromnir's problem. regardless, the speed with which the golem moves is not only reasonable in context of the game, it is balanced.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)