EA cutting 1500 jobs

Niten_Ryu

I don't really care to much about EA letting people go. Here in Iowa we have whole companies moving out of the state. 1500 is small potatoes compared to the tens of thousands who have lost their jobs already.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

It's an interesting problem though. How many of you believe that a company has a moral duty not to lay off staff if it can be avoided, and where does the idea come from. Isn't dog eat dog the basic operation of businesses in a Capitalist society.

There is some evidence to the contrary, for instance public pension plans in many European countries approach their investments with an ethics clause, but private companies....

Many do take the highroad to acquire and maintain a good image. Things like a 'CO2' policy are getting common for companies which depend on a good standing in the public, but do we expect companies to maintain staff - especially in an economic crisis where getting laid off is a more serious business.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It's an interesting problem though. How many of you believe that a company has a moral duty not to lay off staff if it can be avoided, and where does the idea come from. Isn't dog eat dog the basic operation of businesses in a Capitalist society.

There is some evidence to the contrary, for instance public pension plans in many European countries approach their investments with an ethics clause, but private companies....

Many do take the highroad to acquire and maintain a good image. Things like a 'CO2' policy are getting common for companies which depend on a good standing in the public, but do we expect companies to maintain staff - especially in an economic crisis where getting laid off is a more serious business.

Have you ever though, that with more and more people getting layed off left and right, there will be soon very few people who will still be able to afford any nonessential things?

What then? Making even more layoffs?

Basic Action - Reaction thing is in play... The more unemployed people in a country, the lower chance to actualy sell your product, unless you are food, alcohol or condom maker...

But yes, that would be Longterm Thinking... and that does not fit into this fiscal year's bottom line, presented to shareholders, so why they would care...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It's an interesting problem though. How many of you believe that a company has a moral duty not to lay off staff if it can be avoided

As a largely left of centre voter, it may surprise you thart I value control of inflation above unempoylemtn..

And tangentially to that, I value company growth moral duty to not lay off workers.

BUT only if the company can justify it. Interplay could not. It's a shame interplay has not gone horribly bankrupt yet, dragging Herve Caen under in a most pleasing manner,

For the sake of argument, lets say that HR at EA are doing a wonderful job. They are hiring the best of the best for each position.

In conclusion, EA is being dumb, really dumb. When you spend years to get a competent workforce, you just do not lay them off for a potential short-term profit. Once they're gone, they're gone forever. This policy will be the downfall in the long run. I mean really, who the hell wants to work for a company that treats its workers as expendable bricks?

//Edit: I do not know of the law, but isn't this a case where the union representing the workers should step in? Don't tell me that these guys do not have a collective agreement for contracts and working standards with the company, do they?

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

//Edit: I do not know of the law, but isn't this a case where the union representing the workers should step in? Don't tell me that these guys do not have a collective agreement for contracts and working standards with the company, do they?

i dont think america really has unions in the same capacity or power as europe does.

i dont think america really has unions in the same capacity or power as europe does.

How lame. Why aren't they organizing themselves? What a bunch of pushovers.

Those guys should be more like the french. When the government tried to slash prices, they blocked the stairs to parliament with manure, so that the representives had to walk through s*** to get to work.

Just an idea for alanchu whenever the time is right ;)

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

How lame. Why aren't they organizing themselves? What a bunch of pushovers.

because to them unions and workers rights in general = communism or the mob. in the states everyone thinks he's gonna be rich some day, JUST YOU WAIT SOME DAY I'LL FIRE YOU!

I don't know what unions are like in Europe (or in America for that matter) but we do have them though they aren't prevalent in every industry, which from what I hear is a good thing. Unions had a purpose at one time and there's still a few places where they can be used but for the most part they (unjustly) inflate salary, benefits, etc exponentially increasing the cost of labor for companies. This was one of the bigger issues with Ford. Yeah Ford sucks either way but its pretty tough to compete when your paying out labor costs that are higher than your competitors.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

EA's losses are huge, they're bleeding money. A company is not a charity, it's there to make money for the shareholders, nothing else. I bet those of you complaining the most wouldn't like to spend your own money to employ someone you don't need, but then again you're probably producing nothing but internet rants. Also life isn't fair, no one owes you anything, including a job, waah, waah!

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Companies aren't there to be moral. They're there to make money. And, no, employees aren't loyal. Employees work for companies becaue they want to get paid. You cna't buy loyalty. I guarantee everyone of those 1500 people who got cut would have quit working there in an instant if they could find a better job. Even if them quitting would hurt the company. And, not one person here would take that quitter to task. Abnd, if EA had just let go 10 or so people, nobody here would say a thing either. This is about numbers.

Do I do a happy dance when people lose their job? No. But, I don't think companies OWE anyone anything other than what is in the contract. Period. And, vice versa.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's funny how these companies are so evil for doing layoffs, yet don't have that stigma removed when they hire and maintain some of the largest staffs throughout the world.

Because they do it for charity. ;)

I'm not saying they do it for charity.

It's just popular to bash the big businesses. Always has been.

I do think some legislation to protect workers is a good thing, but preventing companies from firing workers would be suicidal for the economy. If I owned/ran a company with potential growth prospects that require hiring new people to realize, I simply would not hire anybody if I knew that I could not fire them if things didn't work out or some sort of crisis hit that could drive me to bankrupcy (which would incidently lead to the firing of all the workers in the end, since the company would be no more) if I didn't downsize. I would instead stay small and forego the potential benefits of expansion in order to avoid this huge risk.

Companies cannot afford to keep unnecessary workers (even if they have become unnecessary due to external conditions, such as a general economic crisis) on a long-term basis or they will fail. Temporarily, workers can be kept underemployed for the sake of preserving morale/image/skilled employees, but this cannot usually go on for a long time. State-owned (or private but subsidized) companies may be able to preserve employment artificially, but only at the expense of explicit or implicit subsidies from the government.

Still, employees do deserve some protection - it is a matter of balance.

Note: EA just reported a significant loss in the last quarter. Just to illustrate how large a loss it was - on an annualized basis it would be more than 25% of its entire market capitalization. Therein, I guess, is the explanation for the layoffs.

Shame never any high ups get caught by these. Makes sense if they suffered a large loss to do this though (how I got nailed from Yahoo, yay).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In conclusion, EA is being dumb, really dumb. When you spend years to get a competent workforce, you just do not lay them off for a potential short-term profit. Once they're gone, they're gone forever. This policy will be the downfall in the long run. I mean really, who the hell wants to work for a company that treats its workers as expendable bricks?

You're making an assumption here though. None of us know what the motivations are, and as Electronic Arts has been running deficits for a while now, it's evident that they aren't in the business of laying people off simply to make short term goals attainable. Otherwise these layoffs would have come much sooner (and probably with the other layoffs they have done).

You're making an assumption here though. None of us know what the motivations are, and as Electronic Arts has been running deficits for a while now, it's evident that they aren't in the business of laying people off simply to make short term goals attainable. Otherwise these layoffs would have come much sooner (and probably with the other layoffs they have done).

They were at a severe loss? What happened to less profit in last quarter than expected? I am getting mixed messages here :shifty:

Back to the point. I was not talking about laws, i was talking about the employees organizing themselves to balance themselves as a power block against the decisions of upper management. Right now, they seem like gullible pushovers that can be treated as trash.

On the ford/GM/chrysler thing. As i said, balance in terms of power. Evidently, the unions were running the show with the management not caring or playing golf. They have themselves to blame.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

They were at a severe loss? What happened to less profit in last quarter than expected? I am getting mixed messages here

I don't know where people are getting the idea of profit from. Also from GamaSutra.

"EA Announces Increased Net Loss, Confirms 1,500 Layoffs"

Electronic Arts saw a decline in GAAP revenue, but they did post a record high for non-GAAP revenue (which it seems most people latched onto here, assuming that EA was rolling around in profits).

Edited by alanschu

My mistake, sorry.

Then it is pretty understable.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I don't know what unions are like in Europe (or in America for that matter) but we do have them though they aren't prevalent in every industry, which from what I hear is a good thing. Unions had a purpose at one time and there's still a few places where they can be used but for the most part they (unjustly) inflate salary, benefits, etc exponentially increasing the cost of labor for companies. This was one of the bigger issues with Ford. Yeah Ford sucks either way but its pretty tough to compete when your paying out labor costs that are higher than your competitors.

Oh noes, what an outrageous idea, to actualy pay employees the money they deserve... and giving them benefits... 2 dollars a hour and 80 hours a week should be enough rewards, no other benefits needed...

They were at a severe loss? What happened to less profit in last quarter than expected? I am getting mixed messages here

I don't know where people are getting the idea of profit from. Also from GamaSutra.

"EA Announces Increased Net Loss, Confirms 1,500 Layoffs"

Electronic Arts saw a decline in GAAP revenue, but they did post a record high for non-GAAP revenue (which it seems most people latched onto here, assuming that EA was rolling around in profits).

Maybe if they did not buy a company here for 800 millions and company there for 300 millions they would not be now in net loss :shifty:

"... 2 dollars a hour and 80 hours a week should be enough rewards, no other benefits needed..."

Yeah, because that's exactly what EA does. :x Even at its worst, it didn't do that. Nice try, though.

"Then it is pretty understable."

Companies don't use let people go just for the fun of it. It doesn't make sence to hire someone, train them, and then can them for ****s and giggles.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm not sure exactly how the GAAP and non-GAAP adjustments work, but would purchasing assets be considered a loss?

If they purchase it on loan, they have to pay the money back and it is substracted from your income... i do not know how it is correctly calculated aswell so i rather shut up :x but seeing in same day, that company spends 300 millions and cuts off 1500 employees is very rare sight even in "high" bussiness... to be honest up to this day i have never seen such an announcement from any other companies...