EA cutting 1500 jobs

Niten_Ryu

http://kotaku.com/5400728/ea-cutting-1500-...to-reduce-costs

Maybe risks with IPs like Mirror's Edge were too big. Or maybe it's just good ol' fashion greed (as their revenues rise 2% from last year) :)

-edit-

More stuff at http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25999

No word on Bioware. EA Black Box (Need for Speed), Tiburon (Madden) and Mythic Entertainment (Warhammer Online) are hit hardest.

EA Redwood including Visceral Games (Dead Space) and The Sims teams might be under axe too.

Oh yeah, EA bought PlayFish (somekind of facebook game developer) for 300 million dollar earlier today :o

Edited by Niten_Ryu

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Damn, and they were being so awesome. How long 'till they turn evil again?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I doubt EA would go under by keeping the 1500 but if cutting employees is what they have to do its what they have to do. Not really understanding the perspective of people either, they are cutting these jobs now, not last year which probably means they were doing them a solid. Making a profit isn't evil either unless of course you're executing a nefarious scheme like the oil companies.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

maybe they just cut their 1500 worst people. like cutting cancer out of a victim.

maybe not.

who know?

ea knows?

maybe they dont?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The thing is that they're not firing people because they're running a loss, they just believe that the second half of 2009 will earn them less profits than they had estimated. So it's evil, alright.

Im kind of hardcore when it comes to labour issues, but I wholeheartedly say that it should be illegal of a company to lay off employees for economic reasons as long as the company is running a profit. Its far more important for society as a whole that people are employed, than for a big company to increase their short-term profits.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The thing is that they're not firing people because they're running a loss, they just believe that the second half of 2009 will earn them less profits than they had estimated. So it's evil, alright.

Im kind of hardcore when it comes to labour issues, but I wholeheartedly say that it should be illegal of a company to lay off employees for economic reasons as long as the company is running a profit. Its far more important for society as a whole that people are employed, than for a big company to increase their short-term profits.

Well then, we can all rejoice that you work in video games (right?) and not legislation. :)

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Well then, we can all rejoice that you work in video games (right?) and not legislation. :o

The best scenario is that they put KB in a cage and only let him out to make awesome games because he's insane otherwise. Good Lord, Kaftan, I'm glad you're not running for office right now. ...Are you? :)

It's called downsizing and it's all about remaining competitive and the message, to the shareholders, of a strong earnings report. Just making money is not enough, you have to do better than predicted. Sacking a lot of people and telling the rest that they have to do more with less works better than just telling everybody that they have to do more with less.

Growth through acquisitions is faster than expanding the core business, and if you don't do it you don't look like you are going places.

in order to "narrow its product portfolio to provide greater focus on titles with higher margin opportunities."

Think sequels and reboots of proven titles, and not much else.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Forcing a company to keep employees just because it's the moral thing to do is rather immoral. It's their company. They should be able to it run it as they see fit. There's already way too many laws that try to destroy companies and tell owners who risk THEIR money on how they run their business.

IMO, if a company wants to fire someone they should be allowed to. Period. Even for racist, sexist, or any nonsensical reason.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"What do you mean 'forcing' there is no expectation that a company has do anything other than making money for their shareholders, what are you, a Communist ?"

Your comment doens't make sense. Why would I be a communist when I'm not for it. But, yes, the law most certainly forces companies to do certain things including when it comes to who they can or cannot hire and fire. This is undisputable FACT.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"What do you mean 'forcing' there is no expectation that a company has do anything other than making money for their shareholders, what are you, a Communist ?"

Your comment doens't make sense. Why would I be a communist when I'm not for it. But, yes, the law most certainly forces companies to do certain things including when it comes to who they can or cannot hire and fire. This is undisputable FACT.

The only laws regarding hiring and firing deal with discrimination.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

i wonder if you had the same words about it if you got the boot from your job...

kicking out 1500 people and then purchasing something for 300 millions... says a lot about the culture of the company...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It's the nature of capitalism. Hire and fire people based on a whim (well, predicition but unless they're clairvoyant it's pretty much guesswork) and maybe ruin a few lives? Who cares, you can just hire new people a few years down the line when times are better. I personally think it's unsustainable and evil but I guess if you agree with the princibles of capitalism EA aren't any more evil than any company operating withing the current system.

It's the nature of capitalism. Hire and fire people based on a whim (well, predicition but unless they're clairvoyant it's pretty much guesswork) and maybe ruin a few lives? Who cares, you can just hire new people a few years down the line when times are better. I personally think it's unsustainable and evil but I guess if you agree with the princibles of capitalism EA aren't any more evil than any company operating withing the current system.

there are many companies with much much different culture than EA, they rather sacrifice some profits, than ruining lives of some of their employees, or they rather sack 1.5 exec with million per month salary than to sack 1000 people with 1500 per month salary...

people love to work for these companies, nothing saves as much money as stable and satisfied working crew, which does not search all day for new job...

most of these companies are not publicly traded companies though...

there are many companies with much much different culture than EA, they rather sacrifice some profits, than ruining lives of some of their employees, or they rather sack 1.5 exec with million per month salary than to sack 1000 people with 1500 per month salary...

people love to work for these companies, nothing saves as much money as stable and satisfied working crew, which does not search all day for new job...

Name one company that would rather sack an exec than a few hundred regular employees. Sure some companies are more ruthless when it comes to being cost-effective, but believe me none that are the size of EA have the luxury of being humane, at least not without a goverment bailout.

Naturally smaller firms are a completely different matter, but at the large scale when 1500 is around 10% of the workforce even bigger lay outs are not unheard of.

Name one company that would rather sack an exec than a few hundred regular employees. Sure some companies are more ruthless when it comes to being cost-effective, but believe me none that are the size of EA have the luxury of being humane, at least not without a goverment bailout.

Naturally smaller firms are a completely different matter, but at the large scale when 1500 is around 10% of the workforce even bigger lay outs are not unheard of.

If the company is struggling with profits, it's more of a fail of the executive than the common workforce... i would say it would be logical step to kick them out 1st...

If the company is struggling with profits, it's more of a fail of the executive than the common workforce... i would say it would be logical step to kick them out 1st...

That didn't answer my question. Name me one company that has sacked their executives before the workforce in the current economical situation. As usual common sense has nothing to do with reality.

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

i wonder if you had the same words about it if you got the boot from your job...

I'd be emotional and not particularly in an appropriate state of mind to be in any way impartial. Though I have been laid off from a job before. I was laid off because the power plant manager ran one of the boilers 6 months over schedule, and the plant needed to cut costs as they were millions of dollars over budget. They fired and replaced the plant manager, and I was informed a week later that I was being laid off. I got over it.

How would I like it if I were randomly given the lottery winnings? Pretty good!

kicking out 1500 people and then purchasing something for 300 millions... says a lot about the culture of the company...

Those who wish to see what they want to see, will draw their own conclusions regardless of whether or not facts are actually released. Since you don't like EA, I hardly expect you to look at this in any way but negatively. I'll bet even if reasons were given, you'd dismiss them due to your bias.

Laying off 1500 people while purchasing something for 300 million (and absorbing all the employees that come with that company) implies just as easily that the projects and departments those 1500 people were in, were not successful and were being carried by the other departments, and that the 300 million dollar buyout is one that is more in line for the direction that the company wishes to take (or one that they feel will garner significant returns on investment).

The culture of the company could just as easily be one that doesn't feel that unsuccessful divisions that are money sinks should continue to be giant vacuums of money with no return on any investments.

Edited by alanschu

It's funny how these companies are so evil for doing layoffs, yet don't have that stigma removed when they hire and maintain some of the largest staffs throughout the world.

The company lists large revenues, but I'll admit I am horrible at dissecting those things, and still don't really know if that means they made a profit.

It's funny how these companies are so evil for doing layoffs, yet don't have that stigma removed when they hire and maintain some of the largest staffs throughout the world.

The company lists large revenues, but I'll admit I am horrible at dissecting those things, and still don't really know if that means they made a profit.

Well you might have mistook my post. I said that the current system of laying off people every other year and hiring them back the next is pretty damn evil.

I don't think EA is any more evil than the paper companies in Finland who are sacking half of their workforce here and moving to south america where labour is cheap and enviromental laws changeable with enough money. It's the nature of the system they have to work in. Do I think capitalism as a whole is evil and unsustainable (unless we invent a free form of energy like fusion power pretty damn soon)? Yeah, but that doesn't make EA any more evil than the next company of their caliber.

In this specific instance I'd suggest that if you work for a big company with a reputation as bastards then you've no right to complain when - surprise surprise - they behave like bastards.

However that is not to say I don't think they're bastards and I wouldn't want to work for them. In fact I'd go further and say anyone who collaborates with such bastards deserves all they get. It's the reserve side of selling out.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

In this specific instance I'd suggest that if you work for a big company with a reputation as bastards then you've no right to complain when - surprise surprise - they behave like bastards.

However that is not to say I don't think they're bastards and I wouldn't want to work for them. In fact I'd go further and say anyone who collaborates with such bastards deserves all they get. It's the reserve side of selling out.

What really sucks that a big company like EA can treat their workers pretty much how they choose, within loose laws that are easy to circumvent. On the other hand employees are expected complete dedication and loyalty, even going as far as not being abled to tell your family that the company might reduce workforce in the near future (this has happened a lot lately here, and our labour laws are much tighter than in the states). If you disagree with the rules you're the first one to get sacked with the excuse of being cost efficient. So you're basically expected to work your ass off and be thankful when you finally get laid off.

I guess this all is fair to guys like Volourn.