Gamestop

I wanted to pre-order Dragon Age at Gamestop a while back and they refused to do it, saying that they can only put me into the database to pre-order the game for me if I show them a state ID (which being a foreigner in the U.S., I don't have). Fine, so I came back after the game was released for the PC and they refused to sell it to me, saying again that I have to have a state ID, this time using the fact that the game is rated as Mature as the reason for this. I am doing my Ph.D. in the U.S. and I, therefore, had my university ID with me in both cases, but that was insufficient for them. Also bear in mind that I am in my late 20s and although it is possible that I look younger than my age (I wouldn't know), I surely don't look like some sort of teenager below 18. The third time around I came with my passport and they finally sold me the game. Gamestop is 1.4-2 miles away from where I live and I don't have a car, so have to walk there, so because of this, I walked more than 10 miles to get a copy of Dragon Age... :lol:

Sounds fishy. You should probably sue them.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well for the reserve AND the pickup we need ID. Something from the government that says you're over the age of 17. We have to be very careful about this simply because of the fact that if we screw up in the slightest, we loose our jobs and they get sued.

>.>

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I wanted to pre-order Dragon Age at Gamestop a while back and they refused to do it, saying that they can only put me into the database to pre-order the game for me if I show them a state ID (which being a foreigner in the U.S., I don't have). Fine, so I came back after the game was released for the PC and they refused to sell it to me, saying again that I have to have a state ID, this time using the fact that the game is rated as Mature as the reason for this. I am doing my Ph.D. in the U.S. and I, therefore, had my university ID with me in both cases, but that was insufficient for them. Also bear in mind that I am in my late 20s and although it is possible that I look younger than my age (I wouldn't know), I surely don't look like some sort of teenager below 18. The third time around I came with my passport and they finally sold me the game. Gamestop is 1.4-2 miles away from where I live and I don't have a car, so have to walk there, so because of this, I walked more than 10 miles to get a copy of Dragon Age... :down:

What state is this? Gamestop has actually never asked me for ID unless I was trading in games.

It sounds fairly suspicious, you might want to call in a complaint to the Gamestop HQ. I did this once and the branch manager actually called me to follow up, so it does work.

Do you have any other ID other than a student ID though? I would think something from your country, or even a visa, would be more than adequate to prove age. I'm all for carding underage folks, I'm tired of games being blamed for dumb kids.

I'm curious what state this is in, as well. I've never been asked for ID for a video game, in Gamestop or otherwise.

I don't know if it's "fishy" but it's definitely odd to me...different state laws or something?

Edit: like a policy of "if you look under 40 we'll ID" taken too seriously?

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For those interested in the state, this was in Ohio.

I do have an ID from my country and that is the one I took with me when I went there for the third time and they finally sold me the game (or maybe it was just that there was a different guy at the counter, he, he). Generally, I don't carry it around though. I usually carry my student ID and most places have no problems accepting that. Perhaps I just look too young to be trusted to be of legal age, but I don't think I look like some sort of immature teenager.

Oh well, I certainly won't dwell on it - maybe the calories burned to get the game will help to make up for the hours I will sit in front of the computer playing Dragon Age and munching on unhealthy snacks. :down: I just found it weird, hence my comment on the boards.

P.S.

As DeadlyNightshade pointed out, some of us like hard copies. Actually, I would have no problem with getting digital copies (it would certainly be convenient to pick up), if it weren't for the need to activate them upon each installation, but that is for another topic...

Edited by Magister Lajciak

Best Buy cards me all the time for games. I find it annoying and I avoid shopping for games there whenever possible.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well for the reserve AND the pickup we need ID.

I can agree that this is the case - even people who know that I'm over 17 request an ID just in case the bossman is looking. And that's not just as GameStop, Best Buy and other stores have the same policy. :down:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I never get carded for alcohol but I still get carded for computer games. It's pretty weird. :/

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think the guideline they gave us was "if they look under 25 card 'em" but I usually play the safe side and card EVERYONE... even the 90 year old granny.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I wanted to pre-order Dragon Age at Gamestop a while back and they refused to do it, saying that they can only put me into the database to pre-order the game for me if I show them a state ID (which being a foreigner in the U.S., I don't have). Fine, so I came back after the game was released for the PC and they refused to sell it to me, saying again that I have to have a state ID, this time using the fact that the game is rated as Mature as the reason for this. I am doing my Ph.D. in the U.S. and I, therefore, had my university ID with me in both cases, but that was insufficient for them. Also bear in mind that I am in my late 20s and although it is possible that I look younger than my age (I wouldn't know), I surely don't look like some sort of teenager below 18. The third time around I came with my passport and they finally sold me the game. Gamestop is 1.4-2 miles away from where I live and I don't have a car, so have to walk there, so because of this, I walked more than 10 miles to get a copy of Dragon Age... :o

Well, now you've lost weight walking 10 miles, so just get a whole lot of food and play DA and eat all day.

90 year old granny.

You must be the one who keeps carding me. Stop it.