Lost tabs and windows on firefox - Urgent problem - help please!

ramza

Hello everyone,

So, I am having some big problem and need to find a solution but I am getting desperate about my situation.

Whenever my father comes to my place, he messes around with my computer and keeps making me lose precious data. Unfortunately, I don't have another pc around, so it's the only one he can use.

I have told him so many times not to mess with my tabs and windows, but (due to both indifference and lack of more advanced computer knowledge), he keeps closing my windows and tabs after he is done browsing. As a consequence, every time he comes over, I lose everything and have yet to find a solution so as to avoid this.

I usually keep around 10 windows open with 5 tabs each and all are important for my research.

I have grown sick and tired of having to remember each time which webpages I was looking at (they don't appear in my history). Sometimes, I am losing stuff never to be found again...

How can I retrieve all my tabs and windows again? I had a crash yesterday night and when I opened my pc this morning, I loaded up my previous session. Then, in the afternoon, my dad closed 60% of my windows. I checked my profile folder and the sessionstore.bak file from this morning (before all this mess happened) is still there (I even made a back up, just in case). Is it still possible to retrieve everything?

I am renaming my sessionstore.bak from this morning into sessionstore.js and restart firefox, but I see no changes.

The remaining 5 windows keep popping up but the other ones seem to be lost. The bak file dates from 9 o'clock this morning and my father started messing with my pc at 15:00. My pc didn't restart in the meantime, so it can't have recorded the changes... What am I doing wrong?

I would appreciate any help as I have some important research to do for my university.

Thanks in advance!

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

CTRL+SHIFT+T to open closed tabs.

History->Recently Closed Tabs/Windows to open specific ones.

As for the "parent problem", I found the best solution to be getting them a netbook.

EDIT: As for the current situation, you could try history, but I'd say you're screwed.

Edited by Purkake

IT WORKED! I AM SAVED!

Actually, I was changing the file before shutting down Firefox. As a result, it always saved the already opened session.

I changed the file after shutting it down and everything went back to normal.

Thanks for the advice anyway! I used the Session Manager add-on instead.

Edited by ramza

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

May I suggest you hold a cup of hot coffee near his groin and muse out loud how shaky your hands would get if anything happened to your tabs?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have now created a new profile on Windows for my father to use. I wonder why I hadn't thought of that earlier... Silly me...

I like your idea Walsingham, but he's the one who bought my pc, so I am using it to his own terms (that's what he says, at least).

Edited by ramza

Double post, sorry.

Edited by ramza

I have now created a new profile on Windows for my father to use. I wonder why I hadn't thought of that earlier... Silly me...

I like your idea Walsingham, but he's the one who bought my pc, so I am using it to his own terms (that's what he says, at least).

Schoolboy error on his part. Now he's established that rule all you have to do is buy him some pants. The next time he does something on the PC you don't like... WEDGIE!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.