Two video problems

Hello everybody,

recently I installed Kotor 2 on my PC. Although my computer meets recommended requirements for the game (except processor, which meets minimum requirements), I have some problems.

My video card is ATI Radeon 9200, 128mb.

1. In the graphics options, Frame Buffer Effects are grayed out, and I can't enable them (while I can enable Soft Shadows). My video drivers are not latest: with latest drivers, I get very low fps, and Frame Buffer Effects and Soft Shadows are both grayed out. I installed elder drivers, because I red that sometimes, with old games, older drivers are more suitable, since new drivers often doesn't support old games.

Anyway, I can't enable Frame Buffer Effects with any drivers.

2. In medium and large levels I experience huge fps drop when looking in certain directions: for example, if I am in the east of the map, and look to the west, fps drop very much. If I'm on the west of the map - vice versa. If I'm in the middle of the map, fps drop is slight. In another words, if I face direction where the most of the level is, fps drop very much. This happens even when there are objects (walls, doors, etc) between me and the rest of that level. For example, I can be in closed room, and when looking in one direction, I have high fps, when looking in another - very low.

this problem happens with all the video drivers I have.

If you may suspect this, I reinstalled my OS (windows xp) two days ago.

Any suggestions?

If i remember correctly, there's a solution for the dramatic fps drop.

This page explains how to fix the problem.

http://www.tweakguides.com/KOTOR2_7.html

Open the file swkotor2.ini which is in your game folder

create the line Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

the number 1 will disable vertex buffer objects.

Vertex Buffer Objects are an OpenGL method of storing vertex data in video memory. Enabling Vertex Buffer Objects (Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=0) can improve performance in certain situations, however it seems KOTOR 2 has some issues with this method and you should set it =1 if you want to resolve slowdown issues in the game (e.g. on Dantooine). It may also help reduce the incidence of crashes in KOTOR 2. Note that this setting does not exist by default, so you should create it under this section and set it to =1.

If i remember correctly, there's a solution for the dramatic fps drop.

This page explains how to fix the problem.

http://www.tweakguides.com/KOTOR2_7.html

Open the file swkotor2.ini which is in your game folder

create the line Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

the number 1 will disable vertex buffer objects.

Vertex Buffer Objects are an OpenGL method of storing vertex data in video memory. Enabling Vertex Buffer Objects (Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=0) can improve performance in certain situations, however it seems KOTOR 2 has some issues with this method and you should set it =1 if you want to resolve slowdown issues in the game (e.g. on Dantooine). It may also help reduce the incidence of crashes in KOTOR 2. Note that this setting does not exist by default, so you should create it under this section and set it to =1.

I tried Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 command, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in neither the fps drop, neither in Frame Buffer Effects being grayed out.

In that link you gave me, are you refering to this?:

"

Hide SecondStoryTiles=0

When set to 1, this option is supposed to improve performance by reducing what is visible in the distance. While part of the game engine, I don't believe this setting has any impact on KOTOR 2.

"

If so, I tried this also, and it gave no difference...

Did I something wrong here?

Sorry, i don't know how to solve his problem, apart from suggesting the vertex buffer trick or changing the video card to a better one...

What is your processor? You said it meets minimum requirement...

My processor is ADM Athlon XP 1500+. How could processor be related with my problem?