Monte's Dragon Age Thread

Monte Carlo

This is my thread about Dragon Age. I will update it as I go.

Initial thoughts:

* As I posted in Alan's thread, the UK CE feels crappy and not very collectible.

* It installs smoother than a smooth thing covered in olive oil - very nice.

* I like the music. Now I'm going to make a character and download my bonus stuff, which I will share with you all later.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

So are you going light side or dark side?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Too early to call - as long as evil doesn't equal stupid like in a lot of RPGs I might take the dark path...

Am downloading my free content - again it's very slick and intuitive. I like the way Bioware has clearly put a lot of pre-release effort into this part of the game.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Oh dear, I have decided that I like online game shopping and spent four quid on Bio points to buy the Keep DLC because I know I'll play it.

Unfashionable View of The Year - I like in-game microtransactions. I am being sucked into Bio's Starbucks vibe. Help.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hmmm, Shale is taking forever to download although I guess the servers are trembling like the USS Enterprise's shields under Klingon attack at the moment.

Anybody want to join an Obsidz Forum-Users DA Group? It will be the coolest.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm assuming this is some sort of Let's Play.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Actually, I like this thread because the other one is long and advertised as spoilerish. I just started playing the game and so this one is a good place for me to post.

Anyhow, the game in the very early going rocks. I've finished the tutorial and now I'll be getting to the real meat, I'm sure.

The voice acting is superb. The Fade is wonderful. Really hearkens back to some of the things that I enjoyed so much about other games. It's exotic in the same way as Planescape. The scenery always seems to be moving out of the corner of your eye, which almost has an FPS sort of feel as you turn to look at something. The statue is great. I'll probably eventually be irritated by the codex, but right now I'm reading it and it's surprisingly readable. Some of the entries are long, though, so I do skim sometimes. Still, for the hackneyed backstory of elves and dwarves in decline, the presentation is quite refreshing so far.

My impression is that this really is a labor of love. They've gone out of their way to try to create a vibrant world with a good eye for detail. That has the potential of getting to be ridiculous in the long run. Like jjc said in a different thread, if they over explain everything, it will suck. However, if they keep the attention to detail while still keeping that feeling of something moving underneath or just out of the corner of your eye, it will be great.

One little observation. The *twist* in the Fade was broadcast a mile away. Why? After all, it's not like they were sloppy in how they presented the *twist*. No, the problem is that you know they're going to put a *twist* in the game all over the place and the one they included in the Fade just happens to be the most logical one. Too bad. If every area has such *twists* *twists* *twists*, then I'll be disappointed. On the other hand, I think what they did in the Fade is important in that it warns the player about how things play out between demons and humans. In that respect, I'm not judging it too harshly. Yet.

One little observation. The *twist* in the Fade was broadcast a mile away. Why? After all, it's not like they were sloppy in how they presented the *twist*. No, the problem is that you know they're going to put a *twist* in the game all over the place and the one they included in the Fade just happens to be the most logical one. Too bad. If every area has such *twists* *twists* *twists*, then I'll be disappointed. On the other hand, I think what they did in the Fade is important in that it warns the player about how things play out between demons and humans. In that respect, I'm not judging it too harshly. Yet.

Are you referring to the Mage Origin?

*sigh*..

From a guy over at the Bio-boards;

-------------------------

Quote: Posted 11/05/09 13:41 (GMT) by Akka le Vil

Honestly, this entire ultra-regen is butchering a lot of the game, and I hate it more and more and more. A lot of fun and immersion has been sucked out of the universe. There is no difference if you end up a fight nearly full health or on the brink of death, all is erased in literally five seconds ; it means that all fights are inconsequential, they are numerous and always with lots and lots of enemies - if a fight isn't dangerous enough to potentially kill at least one character, it means nothing, as all consequences are repaired by the time you open the next door.

There is absolutely no feeling of "going deeper and deeper into the darkness", because you're always at full capacity, always fresh just like when you entered the dungeon.

This was all what I was afraid of, and more. Really a very, very bad design decision, which make the game bend on the "action game" genre in-between the dialogue phases. Quite disappointing.

--------------------------------------------------------

So it's NWN2 all over again, with even more linearity and button-mashing? BLEH!

The game plays itself, and the gamer is left to press the (mouse)button with his left hand, while he downs a beer with his right..

I'm sure the storyline is interesting, so I'll wait for DA: The Movie. :sorcerer:

J.

To each his own.

I'd vehemently argue against the game playing itself. I'd like to see anyone try to play the game with a drink in one hand even with regenerating health.

It doesn't regenerate in combat, and if you decide to half-ass it and not even try, you're going to die.

Edited by alanschu

Already I can see so much in this game to like... and a few things that are like tiny stones in your sock - they might be small but they're really irritating.

The regenerating health is one thing - it's like "Hey, everybody rests after every combat, let's do it for them." Well I don't. I'm not a console twitch gamer, I like planning resources and a challenge. I'm cranking it up to hard. The cutscenes are another. The blood animations are so bad that I hope when they de-brief the game somebody does a walk of shame. Some of the dialogue responses were written for a sulky kid and so much for dark fantasy - the NPCs in castle Cousland all dress like Liberace.

*MINOR SPOILER* OTOH going to war with your [Oedipus complex]rather attractive[/Oedipus complex] and heavily armed mother is fun.

The combat is so very nearly there - love the camera views, the graphics are absolutely fine and the blend of RTwP and Diablo-style special attacks with cool-downs works remarkably well. It's the most fun combat I've played in a CRPG for several years, although it's early days.

My character is a Human Noble Warrior, he looks like Tom Selleck. I've gone for sword and shield, which is good fun. The dog is cool, the GUI is a labour of love, am going to completely dig the tactics options when I get into it all.

In fact, once some genius has modded some of the Stuff I Hate out of this game, which are minor things, then this will be a very good game.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm not a console twitch gamer

I don't think that the decision has anything to do with being a console gamer. As far as I know, it was in before the game existed on the console.

I agree though that the art style was a bit excessive in the blood. I turned off the blood splatter on character models because I found it distracting in conversations. I didn't mind the odd impaling or aother finishing blows, but the fact that my character wouldn't wipe my face made me cringe o:)

The cutscenes are another. The blood animations are so bad that I hope when they de-brief the game somebody does a walk of shame.

The blood in

the scene where Teyrn Cousland dies

is especially egregious.

Anyone who'd lost that much blood would be dead already, yet he's holding himself up and talking.

Other than the blood issue, trying to find the perfect face (the character creator didn't help me with that, as what looks good in it looks stupid in the game when compared to NPCs), and trying to figure out if sword'n'board will let me do some decent damage, I'm having a grand ole time. It's like BG2 all over again right now, which makes it totally worth it.

Mother Cousland would've made an excellent Grey Warden herself. She kicked butt until a knight with a huge hammer knocked her out.

I don't really care about damage, bashing people in the face with a shield is fun. My dog Laika can chew 'em all up.

EDIT: oh, and the camera is driving me nuts during combat.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.