Interesting read about copyright, piracy and fear

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...pyright-law.ars

very interesting read and look from different perspective on purpose of current copyright laws, written by a copyright lawyer who is in this bussiness for 27 years...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Laws can, though, stifle innovation, and in this respect the copyright industries have been successful, and tragically so, for the public and for authors. Innovation leads to greater consumer demand and therefore greater profits for copyright owners.

Time for tiny personal rant. Drawing tablets with integrated graphical display are useful in all kind of various design work. Only problem is that there's only one company that manufacture 'em. Wacom from Japan. They basically own all patents for that type of technology.

If you can get new 21" LCD display for $200, Wacom type of device will cost at least 10 times as much. Technology is very simple, as there only need to be some way to handle the pressure in order to be able to draw different type of lines. Wacom products like Cintiq are not even that durable and spare parts (or fixing it) cost small fortune. There's also tons of issues with drivers, jitter, scratches, heating, dead pixels ect ect. I'd say lack of competition in this area creates serious issues in all kinds of design and creative work.

When amatours start to hack normal LCD displays and start to build their own DIY projects, you know there's a problem in somewhere. Don't too wide patents or strict licensing policy create automatical monopoly ?

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Laws can, though, stifle innovation, and in this respect the copyright industries have been successful, and tragically so, for the public and for authors. Innovation leads to greater consumer demand and therefore greater profits for copyright owners.

Time for tiny personal rant. Drawing tablets with integrated graphical display are useful in all kind of various design work. Only problem is that there's only one company that manufacture 'em. Wacom from Japan. They basically own all patents for that type of technology.

If you can get new 21" LCD display for $200, Wacom type of device will cost at least 10 times as much. Technology is very simple, as there only need to be some way to handle the pressure in order to be able to draw different type of lines. Wacom products like Cintiq are not even that durable and spare parts (or fixing it) cost small fortune. There's also tons of issues with drivers, jitter, scratches, heating, dead pixels ect ect. I'd say lack of competition in this area creates serious issues in all kinds of design and creative work.

When amatours start to hack normal LCD displays and start to build their own DIY projects, you know there's a problem in somewhere. Don't too wide patents or strict licensing policy create automatical monopoly ?

I've wanted one of those for ages, and I could never understand why it was so mind blowingly expensive.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Oh no, watch taks and the rest of the right wing nuts come storming in after reading the "a failed ideology that the unregulated private pursuit of profit is also in the best interest of the public" statement and dismiss him as a leftist hippie. Or something equally dumb.
He's actually supporting what taks always goes on about... that big businesses tend to game the system in their favour. He's arguing for less state intervention:

making him the top lawyer at the MPAA or RIAA would be fascinating to watch, though we're doubtful that those atop the big content industries share his easy confidence that innovation quickly produces greater profits, or that "less copyright law" can be "better copyright law."

You need to read the whole article, not just the first ten lines.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Okay, taks. You need to read the article, too! :lol:

edit: by "he", I meant the copyright lawyer the article talks about.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I believe leetster meant the article support your view, not mkreku.

ah, gotcha. thanks.

yes, i agree, the lawyer dude and i are on the same page. numbers man has thus recognized what i stand for! yay!

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Okay, taks. You need to read the article, too! :lol:

i did, actually. see above post.

that's what i misinterpreted. :ban:

you have earned a cookie for the day!

there is a movement among the hard-core capitalist economists to get rid of copyright and patent law, btw. i agree with their arguments but haven't been able to convince myself to fully support them (i don't know why... habit maybe). i have a patent*, but it does nothing for me and, ultimately, patents don't really do anything for anybody as they are easily busted (copyright is a bit more useful for the owner).

taks

* actually two patents, with a 3rd on the way, but they are all for the same idea. i haven't figured out how or why they keep the process going for something that really isn't worth anything (to me, at least) nor what i would consider all that original.

The patent system is so abused and broken now it would just be better to get rid of it entirely, all it does is let a few parasites blackmail and stifle innovators. The copyright law though works exactly like it should, I don't see any question of fairness or ethics, just because a large segment of the population is willing to violate the law doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the law itself.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Just because a large segment of the population is willing to violate the law doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the law itself.

If the segment is larger than 50% I'd argue that there's something wrong with the law.. They are there for us, not the other way around.

Fortune favors the bald.

that's what i misinterpreted. -_-

you have earned a cookie for the day!

Hey, no fair! Where did the posts disappear to?

The copyright law though works exactly like it should, I don't see any question of fairness or ethics, just because a large segment of the population is willing to violate the law doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the law itself.
In my opinion as a certified attorney-at-lol, I'd say a law can work as designed, and still fail to accomplish what the lawmakers intended for it.

maybe he should be made copyright czar, since he is king of being smart about it...

....unscramble....

too bad he's not on the federal supreme court

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I usually don't bother reading books by corporate lawyers, but the Wired review got me interested. I decided to check out the author's blog where to my dismay I couldn't locate a PDF download. So in the end I'm not reading it as I prefer progressive writers who are actually progressive in practice.

But I do have a question for those who have read the book (if there's any here). The author wrote (according to Ars Technica) "If stronger criminal laws are necessary to deter infringers, why not impose the death penalty, as China has done?", did he also consider the Chinese IP situation in his book? China is a major economy where copyright and patent laws are practically non-existent, does the author think such loose regulation helped Chinese companies to be more innovative?

interesting point. from what i understand, until recently, the chinese basically broke patents they coudln't come to favorable terms on anyway (read: we'll pay you nothing and you'll let us infringe, capiche?).

taks

I usually don't bother reading books by corporate lawyers, but the Wired review got me interested. I decided to check out the author's blog where to my dismay I couldn't locate a PDF download. So in the end I'm not reading it as I prefer progressive writers who are actually progressive in practice.

But I do have a question for those who have read the book (if there's any here). The author wrote (according to Ars Technica) "If stronger criminal laws are necessary to deter infringers, why not impose the death penalty, as China has done?", did he also consider the Chinese IP situation in his book? China is a major economy where copyright and patent laws are practically non-existent, does the author think such loose regulation helped Chinese companies to be more innovative?

Disclaimer: This is my personal oppinion and might not be correct, if you agree or dont' i will not go further into the discussion, because i do not want to turn this into flame war and do not want to get the thread closed.

The reason why i think China is so fast pacing is that they do not care about any sort of patens, they take an idea which is successful and most of the time they innovate and they offer it that way. This is very helpful to the nation and their industrial growth as a whole (this works better for centralized government like China has, than for a country with "lobbycracy" and "free market"), but not very helpful to the people who spent initial time to develop the original idea...

No copyright/patents at all is imo not very good idea, the people who are working hard on inventing the stuff should be able to get the money invested back and make some profits. But the way how the system works now is completely ridiculous, 12 year patent protection for pharmaceuticals, which can save lives, versus 100+ years copyright protection to everyone who just gets a blowjob and puts it on a DVD...

and another interesting article on Ars Technica about the issue of P2P and copyright holders with very interesting citation, from people in music bussiness and the European Commissioner for Information Society and Media - Viviane Reding.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...a-hard-sell.ars

Haha, i can only laugh at naivety from growing up thinking that the sole reason of a patent is to ensure that a product is build according to the patent itself. For example: Product "A" is product "A" according to the specifications of the patent, not adhering to those specifications and you can no longer call it product "A", but product "B" instead. :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, giving away what he can sell wouldn't make him progressive or even coherent... it would make him stupid. That's not what he's talking about, I think. Has he actually sued anyone for illegally copying his book?

interesting point. from what i understand, until recently, the chinese basically broke patents they coudln't come to favorable terms on anyway (read: we'll pay you nothing and you'll let us infringe, capiche?).
Yeah it looks like ignoring the concept of intellectual property altogether saves the Chinese the hassle of actually being innovative themselves.

Well, giving away what he can sell wouldn't make him progressive or even coherent... it would make him stupid. That's not what he's talking about, I think. Has he actually sued anyone for illegally copying his book?

A lot of academics give out fully-indexed PDF files of their published books freely on their websites. I don't think that makes them stupid. But perhaps I shouldn't expect that much, even when the author is basing some of his arguments against the current copyright/patent regime on the benefits of spreading knowledge rapidly.

Edited by Masterfade