File sharers are big spenders

kirottu

Almost one in 10 of those questioned aged between 16 and 50 said they downloaded music illegally.

However, eight out of 10 of that group also bought CDs, vinyl and as MP3s.

Maybe it's important for file sharers to state that they also buy music to avoid stigma. 1000 polls is the bare minimum needed to call most things statistical, and then only if the entries had been selected to reflect the country's demographic.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

One interesting question would be to determine whether people downloading something for free would EVER have paid for it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If I like the artist and want to support their music I buy the CDs and such if they are available. If I don't like the music I just delete it. Of course I don't see the point of downloading music any more thanks to the Last.FM addition to the XBox360. I simply type in the type of music I am in the mood for and it is streamed right on through.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Gorgon and TN make good points. 1K participants isn't much, especially when they start making conclusions based on sub-categories (mostly age ranges) within their sample. And partly, this survey is picking up the portion of the population who simply likes music more than most people, and is more willing to make special efforts to get new music.

Second, this is a survey. The type of people who will admit to piracy are probably also the type of people who ideologically view it as a valid distribution channel (you know, the ones who bring up wholly irrelevant points about record company overhead in all these arguments) and are trying to convince others that there's nothing wrong with it because they support the artists they like in other ways. Other people who have downloaded stuff will simply lie.

I use pay per month napster and I rarely buy anything unless it's as a gift. It was simple logic when I realised I was buying maybe two or three albums a month. Cheaper to get a subscription, not to mention more convenient.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The thing is if I am going to spend money I would like to have something physical to hold. I'm a bit of a ludite in that regard.

Given your political affections, which are those of an 18th century British Prime-Minister, I can only regard this as moderate and progessive.

-Elwood Blues

Let me assure you that if you move house more than once a decade you'll be glad not to be burdened by jewel cases.

Actually there was a problem last night when I discovred that the propellerheads aren't on the damn service I use.

-Elwood Blues

I actually agree with him, though. I much prefer to actually own something physical rather than what in my mind is still nothing more than a collection ones and zeroes.

The CD itself only stores a collection of ones and zeroes. It's just about storage media. I prefer my storage media to be solid state memory or hard drives because it's much easier to propagate copies that way, thus significantly decreasing the risk of losing your product.

Of course, online DRM tends to fly complete in the face of this.

I actually agree with him, though. I much prefer to actually own something physical rather than what in my mind is still nothing more than a collection ones and zeroes.

The CD itself only stores a collection of ones and zeroes. It's just about storage media. I prefer my storage media to be solid state memory or hard drives because it's much easier to propagate copies that way, thus significantly decreasing the risk of losing your product.

I download more music per year that most people listen to their whole life. I also buy more music per year than most do in a decade (bought records for 2 to 3 thousand

Flac or at least higher quality mp3s. Most of them are terrible!

While I know this is true, it seems far more physical to me than the ones and zeroes on a computer. I blame this on harddrive crashes.

Of course, I do rip all my CDs so I have copies.