Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Sherlock Holmes there was about equal parts good and bad in this film, probably would have been better off if Guy Richie made the movie as an original franchise. It seemed like it would have been easy to dump the obligatory Holmes shtick and switched it out with say Max Dugan Rereturns Much Later

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I liked the Ritchie/Downey SHERLOCK HOLMES as well. It wasn't quite the original series but I thought it was truer than a lot of adaptions. I found it funny that a lot of people were put off by "Battling Sherlock" when the novels - if my memory holds - has reference to him boxing and knowing Victorian era Martial art/self-defence method Bartitsu (misspelled "Baritsu")

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I have finished titus. I honestly didn't like it much. Wearing modern dress, using motorbikes and cars while telling a historical tale was not funny to me. I didn't read it's novel by william s. as well, but movie is not good at all.

The Illuminator

Democracy starts with allowing different political opinions to express themselves.

Fascism starts with killling all, who has different political opinions than yours.

It's a pity for earth as it is full of fascists claiming to be democratic.

I watched a couple of older movies for the first time. Fargo and Wall Street. I liked them both.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I've not seen the original in a couple of years and the new ones not out yet?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I liked the Ritchie/Downey SHERLOCK HOLMES as well. It wasn't quite the original series but I thought it was truer than a lot of adaptions. I found it funny that a lot of people were put off by "Battling Sherlock" when the novels - if my memory holds - has reference to him boxing and knowing Victorian era Martial art/self-defence method Bartitsu (misspelled "Baritsu")

Absolutely. He beats seven shades out of all sorts of people. The affair of the solitary cyclist springs immediately to mind with no effort.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And apparently Jude Law's second acting job was a part on the old Granada TV Sherlock Holmes series.. and Ritchie got the actors to watch some of those episodes to help get a feel for it.

The film was a fairly enjoyable victorian romp, and the slightly stylised way they had of showing off "how" Holmes saw the world around him and deduced things was quite interesting.. A good way for that form of media to show it off.

Re-watched Tron the other week.. maybe it's the inner geek in me but I still enjoy that film. (Hell, I even enjoyed the Tron 2.0 game that came out about 7 years ago..). But it's kind of funny that there's about 3 or so people in Tron that all turned up in Babylon 5 years later.. Did catch the new trailer for Tron Legacy which does look fairly slick and interesting.. Although shame they aren't meshing in anything from Tron 2.0.. Ah well.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've not seen the original in a couple of years and the new ones not out yet?

Legacy's teaser trailer premiered recently.

Raithe, I agree. Although I suppose Sam Flynn is Jet's substitute, and the film does have him enter the computer world to find his dad, kinda like 2.0.

Edited by Tel Aviv

I have started 'Star Trek-first contact' today and have watched 1st cd while having my breakfastish lunch.

The Illuminator

Democracy starts with allowing different political opinions to express themselves.

Fascism starts with killling all, who has different political opinions than yours.

...when the novels - if my memory holds - has reference to him boxing and knowing Victorian era Martial art/self-defence method Bartitsu (misspelled "Baritsu")

It also says he was a fair shot with a pistol/revolver and an excellent fencer - not to mention the many times he uses more unconventional weapons such as riding crops. :sweat:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

...when the novels - if my memory holds - has reference to him boxing and knowing Victorian era Martial art/self-defence method Bartitsu (misspelled "Baritsu")

It also says he was a fair shot with a pistol/revolver and an excellent fencer - not to mention the many times he uses more unconventional weapons such as riding crops. :(

No to mention being able to bend steel pokers with his bare hands, as in the Adventure of the Speckled Band.

-Elwood Blues

Guest The Architect

Hahahaha!

"Will you take the blue pill, or the red pill?"

"I'll take the ring!"

"I see blue people."

Has anyone here seen Alice in Wonderland? The critics think it's "meh" and people I know LOVED it.

I haven't seen it yet, partly because I'm no fan of Tim Burton and I find it very annoying that he once again

has Johnny Depp with a face painted pale white.

Alpha Protocol = Best game ever created!!! EVER!!!

Can't wait!!! :D

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!

It also says he was a fair shot with a pistol/revolver and an excellent fencer - not to mention the many times he uses more unconventional weapons such as riding crops. :lol:

No to mention being able to bend steel pokers with his bare hands, as in the Adventure of the Speckled Band.

Ahhh... Yes, I had forgotten that - good memory. o:)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Band of Brothers. Never seen it before as I always put it aside for other things to watch. Good story and the concentration camp scenes was unbelievable. So many memorable moments and good to see a different view on things that happened and already been shown in movies like A Bridge too far and Battle of the Bulge which I've seen many times. :lol: Off to watch The Pacific now.

I have finished 'star trek:the first contact'. I want to remind you that the movies I have watched are 'original' and are in vcd format. That's why they are in diivided cds. For the recent movies, I again choose to buy vcd formats as they are cheaper and more affordable for my budget however, if I really enjoy a movie, I prefer dvds. For instance I have bought the dvd form of Conan the Barbarian despite it was an old movie.

An example for a recently made original vcd movie is here(Rambo 4) I have also watched it but about 6 or 7 months ago.

I am against piracy and I think pirate material are stolen material.

The Illuminator

Today I've watched 'Eraser' movie. It was funny with a lot of action inside.

The Illuminator

The Men Who Stare at Goats - Very amusing. In fact I found most of the movie to be a pleasant surprise. I thought the ending was a bit of a letdown, but I can see that there wasn't really much room to go anywhere with it.

I've seen two movies lately. One, Drag me to Hell which I bought on DVD together with a handful of other DVD's and Halloween Resurrection showing late last night on tv.

Drag me to Hell... sheesh, what a disappointment. Talk about a movie that doesn't know what it wants. It's like it's trying to mix romantic comedy, horror comedy and funny comedy, but none of it is particularly funny. The cast is completely wrong, the story (with one microscopic exception towards the end) completely predictable. Like something you would read in a bad comic book and forget the day after, never to revisit. I sure hope it was one of the cheaper movies in my pile :grin:

Halloween Resurrection... What a refreshing change from the above. No aiming for mediocrisy here, but going straight for abysmal failure right away. As if somebody tried to create a bastard child between Blair Witch Project and Americas next Top Model. Bad script, bad acting, bad direction, bad screen play and godawful choice of music. The good part? It made Drag me to Hell look good by comparison :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Doomsday by Neil Marshall of Dog Soldiers and The Descent.

Usually I like films like this, but eh not so great. I know he meant it as an homage, but it felt pretty flat for most of the film. Also I love it when the last remaining denizens of a destroyed world still have perfect white teeth despite 30 odd years of neither toothbrushes or dentists.

Dog Soldiers and The Descent were both good though.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Shutter Island and Sherlock Holmes.

Both of them were disappointing on account of how predictable they are. Sherlock Holmes, the greatest detective, should come up with things that leave me baffled, but I guess they thought audiences were idiots because the resolutions they came up with for all their questions were resolutions I had already written off as being too simple for a Sherlock Holmes story. Shutter Island was even worse, because at the end I found out that the twist I joked about when I saw the first TV Spot was the actual twist.

:ermm:

Took the sprog to see How to Train Your Dragon, which was the best movie I've seen this year. Honestly. Hurt Locker? Meh. Dragons? Yay!

It's a bit strange that all the Vikings had Scottish accents (except for the younger Vikings, who were all American, WTF?) but it sort of worked.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

You only found out Shutter Island's twist at the end? They announced the twist like ten minutes into the movie.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: