Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Surrogates. Not great. Watchable, nothing more.

Going to watch The Hangover tonight, see what the fuss is about.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Firefly: Just starting to watch my box set of this that I bought many moons ago. Much better than I gave it credit for. Fillion, and the rest of the actors did a darn good job. That said, it does seem to heavily 'borrow' from other places largely ST most noteably with the borg like ship and the 'reapers' or whatever they are. Still, very nice fun.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Surrogates. Not great. Watchable, nothing more.

yeah i watched that a couple of weeks ago

kinda bland and a lot of stuff completely unexplained, but i guess the comic/book/whatever it's based on is more in depth

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Book of Eli. It was different in Falloutish kind of way.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Ninja Assassin - so so. The shaky cam was annoying during the action sequences.. especially with the amount of shadows and light flashing off weapons.. But some impressive blood spurts and amusing de-limbing.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Firefly: Just starting to watch my box set of this that I bought many moons ago. Much better than I gave it credit for. Fillion, and the rest of the actors did a darn good job. That said, it does seem to heavily 'borrow' from other places largely ST most noteably with the borg like ship and the 'reapers' or whatever they are. Still, very nice fun.

Weirdly I was just reflecting how the 'homage' they do to other sources enriches it. But each to their own.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Nowhere did I bash them for borrowing stuff.I was just led to beleive by all the Firefly fanboys that it was some super original show. It isn't. Still fun; but not original. Just finished the second disc. Awesome stuff. My favorite characters are the brother-sister dual as their story is what intrigues me the most. The captain is definitely complex, but the big goon is just a retard. Don't really care for him a bit (not the actor's fault; just the character).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Really? I love Jayne because there's a person hidden underneath all those layers of stupid. He is the stereotypical henchmen, except when it really comes down to it, he's not.

I actually think the real appeal in Firefly lies in the characters. Every other show I've ever watched there were the characters that I thought were boring or bad. But on Firefly, I like everyone. Even when I dislike the problem of the episode, the characters are such a blast to watch that I still love it.

So yeah I might be biased because I like everyone. When

Wash was killed off in the Serenity movie

it got to me like no other movie

death

has done before.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Ponyo wasn't even nominated. The academy's retardation knows no bounds.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oh my god. I have shamed myself as an animator and as an animation fan. How could
have flown under my radar until it was nominated for freaking Oscar.

It looks awesome.

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

Ponyo wasn't even nominated. The academy's retardation knows no bounds.

Can't believe I'm going to have to defend the goddamned academy here, but...

I think you're overreacting a little bit. Ponyo definitely deserved a nomination, but so did all the movies nominated for an academy award. It was just a fantastic year for animation. I personally would rate Ponyo above Princess and the Frog and The Fantastic Mr. Fox, but both are close calls.

Don't get me wrong, I love Miyazaki, but Ponyo wasn't near his regular level of excellence. It was actually a little standard. It's good enough to compete with these other movies, but unlike Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away it wasn't so amazing that it just blows the competition out of the water right away. It's a great film, and if it was nominated, hell, if it won, it would have deserved it. But all films that were nominated for the best animated feature deserve it too.

Edited by TrueNeutral

While I haven't seen Brendan and the Secret of Kells, I have to say that the other two movies don't really hold a candle to Ponyo. Even Up, which is far and away the best of the two was rather uneven and could quickly go from sublime to standard American animation. I'd say that Ponyo, while not up to the level of Mononoke or Totoro, still provides a deeper, better animated experience with little or no low points.

Besides, these are the Oscars not the Let's-See-If-Miyazaki-Outdoes-Himself-This-Time awards.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Other two movies? There were five nominees. Up (also nominated straight up for Best Picture), Coraline, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Secret of Kells and The Princess and the Frog.

Fair enough, to each their own opinion. I was disappointed with Ponyo. And I don't mean disappointed as in 'Miyazaki failed to surprise me again'. To me it seemed to fall back to standard Japanese animation as much as you said Up did for standard American animation, and honestly that is a far worse thing to fall back to. I liked both Up and Coraline better, and I just finished watching Kells and I like it at least equally if not more as well (though this will most likely change since I finished watching it literally five minutes ago and it still has to settle). I would personally have nominated Ponyo over The Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Princess and the Frog, but they were also great animated films and they were definitely good enough to get nominated.

I agree with you that Ponyo should have been nominated, but calling the academy retards over what was a tough decision rather than the obvious ****-up you make it out to be is just far too harsh. It looks like the ranting of a fanboy more than anything.

I'm just happy Monsters Vs. Aliens wasn't on the list. Then I would have been pissed. Dreamworks really needs to up their game.

EDIT: In their defense, since bringing in Chris Sanders (who is still pissed over the whole Bolt debacle) How To Train Your Dragon looks like that's exactly what they're doing.

DOUBLE EDIT: But then again, there's Shrek 4 on the horizon. Damnit, Dreamworks!

Edited by TrueNeutral

It definitely penetrated the US market more than The Secret of Kells, however. I'm an animator always busy with the animation industry, and even I missed that movie. But every animation fan knows when a new Hayao Miyazaki film comes out and will damn sure make a point of seeing it as soon as humanly possible. The man is a legend.

Edited by TrueNeutral

CGI in the background and the environment is just fine, for the main characters though it falls horribly short compared to good ol' fashioned line drawings. You sense the software at work and it just lacks charm. I don't know how else to explain it. Sometimes CGI characters work, but it isn't very often.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I agree, CGI characters often just feel flat and have that annoying glassy stare that is so hard to get rid off (in my experience). I didn't think this was the case with Up though. In fact, I think the reason why Pixar's CGI films are so strong is that they're made mostly by 2D animators reschooled to do 3D. It's also why Dreamworks fails so often. They either just don't understand principles of animation or think they don't apply for 3D. It's not a coincidence that their strongest offering so far (Kung Fu Panda) was also the one that had the most 2D animators and designers working on it. And it's no coincidence that How To Train Your Dragon is looking uncharacteristically good for a Dreamworks flick because they pulled in 2D creator Chris Sanders (mostly known for writing and directing Lilo & Stich) to direct.