Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

The Book of Eli (2010) - Surprised no one else here commented on this flick given the post-apocalyptic story. Good movie solid 8/10

I saw it this weekend and commented on it. Somehow I ended up putting it above Waterworld and below Postman in the post apoc. movie category.

I did enjoy it though, I'd agree with 8/10.

The Book of Eli - Well, this was tough to review. As a film, it was pretty average. There were some good parts and bad parts. It was too slow in a few spots. The acting was very good and kept the pacing from being too unbearable.

But as a post apocalyptic flick, it was very good. It had some Mad Max/Fallout parts that were just a delight and made it worth the price of admission. Plus I liked the overall plot, it was better than a generic purify the water and reconnect with daddy plot.

Yeah, but was it better than Waterworld?

It was better than Waterworld but not as good as the Postman.

But it also wasn't like 4 hours long, so there ya go.

That's somewhat positive. FOr whatever reason, it made me think of both The Postman and Waterworld when I saw the adverts. WHich is definitely not a good thing. Although, I only saw about the first 30 minutes of The Postman, so maybe it got better later.

LOL I totally missed this conversation, WW and Postman are weak films and in no way measure up to The Book of Eli.

The Postman was extraordinarily bad.

Of course fors ome time I thought The Postman was a remake of the classic Il Postino. Set in a post-apocalypse America. Which would actually have been awesome.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd like to see an uncut definitive version of Waterworld. The initial filmed script ran at over five hours. The original director's cut of the film was trimmed and submitted to the studio at a length of around three hours, however the theatrical cut was eventually released at 136 minutes. The ABC network did show a 177 minute Extended version but even this was heavily edited with language, violence, action and some nudity as it was being screened at a time when minors could see it. Maybe one day we'll see the full version.

I'd like to see an uncut definitive version of Waterworld. The initial filmed script ran at over five hours. The original director's cut of the film was trimmed and submitted to the studio at a length of around three hours, however the theatrical cut was eventually released at 136 minutes. The ABC network did show a 177 minute Extended version but even this was heavily edited with language, violence, action and some nudity as it was being screened at a time when minors could see it. Maybe one day we'll see the full version.

Again I am baffled by studio execs. If you've got 5 frakking hours of footage just bung it all on three DVDs and release it. DVDs cost **** all to make and print. If they didn't we wouldn't have starship troopers 3.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Shall We Dance, the original Japanese version. How did I miss this little gem? Lovely chr. story w/humor and meaning. No flash, no Hollywood ending etc. and all the better for it. I have no desire to see the Richard Gere remake.

Also watched Inglourious Basterds. Hubby didn't like it because of too many subtitles, but I enjoyed it. Not as much as Pulp Fiction (the dialogue in Pulp Ficiton was awesome), but it had moments. Brad Pitt got to have a lot of fun, anyway.

I wouldn't consider Waterworld or The Postman in the worst movies ever camp, but they certainly weren't very good, imo. Exercises in Costner-ego or something. Altho, I must admit I got a kick out of Dennis Hopper hamming it up in Waterworld...heheh

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Road. Quite a slow paced movie but liked the post-apocolaptic look. Also, I liked how Man found the can of coca cola in the vending machine, reminded me of Fallout 3. :lol: The realism was quite good. Cannibalism by people ala Fallout. Also, no food anywhere they went unlike Fallout where there is food and medical surplies strewn around the wasteland. :shifty:

Again I am baffled by studio execs. If you've got 5 frakking hours of footage just bung it all on three DVDs and release it. DVDs cost **** all to make and print. If they didn't we wouldn't have starship troopers 3.

Starship Troopers 3 is probably better than The Postman and Waterworld combined. I say probably becasue I never saw it.

However Starship Troopers the first is totally fab.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Not so much saw as 'going to see', picked up Inglorious Basterds in the Virgin store at the airport yesterday. I'm going to watch it tonight :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein