Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

From the Earth to the Moon (1998) - Excellent series so far on HBO, only watched the first two episodes. Tom Hanks is already annoying me with his introductions, but with what I have seen it's well acted, written and the direction is serviceable. Highly recommended unless you are anti USA in that case first eat **** and die, second then avoid this like the plague.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120570/

Edited by Kelverin

Pandorum

I liked it lot more than Event Horizon or that other "resent" creepy scifi movie, which had something to do with the sun.

Sunshine?

I saw 9 (the animated one with the rag dolls). Quite honestly, it seemed like a waste of render farms to me. The story was okay, and the action sequences were decent, but the script and the pacing were so horrible, and the characters so bland and boring, that at times I was too bored to even keep watching.

I think I watched Whiteout (bad, even with the pretty Ms Beckinsale), Paranormal Activity (solid, with another pretty girl, and quite well put together, but ultimately rather uninspired), Zombieland (you know how good it is already).

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

District 9 and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

District 9 was fantastic, but the main character was a douche.

Harry Potter was definitely better than the previous one. Its good to have the original writer back.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What a crazy film! I had to investigate on wiki, and see they built the spaceship inside the old battleship rather than simply tacking space engines on a 150 year old exploded wreck.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What a crazy film! I had to investigate on wiki, and see they built the spaceship inside the old battleship rather than simply tacking space engines on a 150 year old exploded wreck.

I'm not sure what the question is, but here's the answer:
The series is fascinating as a reflection of Japanese attitude towards its past military adventurism. That the spaceship is a resurrected Yamato (the storied, supposedly unsinkable mammoth WW 2 battleship symbolizing the Spirit of Great Japan), and that its crew's mission is to reverse the effect of enemy atomic bombardment: these are barmy, cathartic wish-fulfilments. By positing a future where the Japanese noble-warrior tradition is an unambiguous good, and by portraying the Aryan-like alien aggressors as even more fascist and decadent than anything Earth can come up with, Yamato is as close to a pop-culture apologia to kamikaze credo as you can get.

Well, exactly. I've jsut been reading the book Nemesis, which describes the final year of the war against Japan, and I can't imagine anything less evocative of the nobility of the samurai code (besides the prison camps) than that fatal moronic dash to doom, without fighter cover. "In Yamato's gunroom, at sea on the night of 6 April, an ironic voice demanded ' Which country showed the world what aircraft could do by sinking the Prince of Wales?' Her gunnery, never good, failed to down more than a handful of the planes which attacked her. A total waste.

-Elwood Blues

watched Sauna and Outpost last night

Sauna was okay. Was about the end of a war between Sweden and Russia and a group of people travelling and writing up new borders. One of the main characters is a swedish soldier haunted by the murders he's committed during the war. It's definitely a movie that leaves a lot up to the viewer to interpret

Outpost on the other hand was a bit lame. Guy hires some mercenaries to protect him while he checks out an old nazi bunker - pseudo ghost/zombie killings ensue *yawn*

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Avatar. Fun fun fun fun fun. It wont win no prizes for depth but its fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

UP - ingenious. Pixar must have a deal with the devil.

The Fall. A stuntman lies in hospital weaving a tale for a little girl, trying to trick her into getting morphine pills for him. The tale crosses over into reality and back, and the whole movie is a jaw dropping collection beautifully shot scenes.

Let the Right One In. Swedish vampire drama/horor with the best child actors you can imagine. Best Vampire movie ever.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I saw Avatar the night before last. I really liked the effects in 3D. For those of you waiting until you can watch it at home, don't.

I'm also just about done disc two of six for Cowboy Bebop.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

The Fall. A stuntman lies in hospital weaving a tale for a little girl, trying to trick her into getting morphine pills for him. The tale crosses over into reality and back, and the whole movie is a jaw dropping collection beautifully shot scenes.

It's amazingly beautiful.. but I saw it with my buddy and we had visited most of the places filmed in The Fall and because of that it was difficult to really take it in, when they ran around the corner and we knew they had just travelled over 2000 miles :lol:

but a huge kudos to the director, for making all the scenes and location fit together so seamless.. mostly because many of the buildings, which look so peaceful in the film, are situated in urban nightmare sprawl..

Fortune favors the bald.

The Departed - Great movie with great acting. I liked the twists for the most aprt; but near the end they just got dumb and it almsot felt they were just throwing twists for the sake of it not for the story.

If I figured out the end, and I think I did, we're supposed to be that Whalberg's cop was a plant as well? Or did he just go rogue out of anger? K.

300 - This movie was way more entertaining then it had the right to be. Gotta give credit to Butler as I was all set to hate his character but he actually managed to bring some humanity to the over the top role. The plot with thw ife was interesting, and weird, and fun though not really needed. I did like how she handled things, though. The voice over was absolutely not needed as it just annoyed me.

I Am Legend - Great movie. Ending was too over the top perfect; but fine. The part with the dog was incredibly sad, and suitably dark.

KAW - WTF WTF WTF

Lake Placid 2 - Not as good as the original but fun horror movie nontheless.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Caught Sherlock Holmes.. not a bad attempt. Downey Jr and Jude make a good Holmes and Watson.

Guy Ritchie back to doing entertaining films. Hm, he did good films before he married.. he did crappy films during his marriage.. he's split from Madonna and now we have a decent movie.. do I sense a theory there... :lol:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

=

Guy Ritchie back to doing entertaining films. Hm, he did good films before he married.. he did crappy films during his marriage.. he's split from Madonna and now we have a decent movie.. do I sense a theory there... :lol:

He makes good films when he's broke?