Dragon Age story/plot discussion

alanschu

do you get to take the skin boat to tuna town in both of the romances? there's nothing i like better in my rpg's than getting to see the beast with two backs if ya know what i mean. bumpin uglies is where it's at. burying the one eyed worm is whats lacking in most modern games, i'm glad dragon age lets me butter the muffin unlike fallout 3 or oblivion that had no frolicking in the corn field. anyway i'm really looking forward to spearing the bearded clam.

I'm level 10 and I've yet to meet the 'trainer' to become a Champion... anyone know where (s)he is? Maybe I should become a Templar instead... :)

You have to finish Redcliffe completely. That's how I got it. My character went Templar/Berserker, but I think Champion/Templar would be the most powerful combo. Templars are very effective in fights with mages and the Champion increases abilities etc.

I didn't find the berserker's skills very useful. I think they were going for increased damage output at the cost of reduced defense & stamina, but enemies have so much HP anyways and they tend to swarm so basically you just die.

I think a good defense is much better than a good offense in DA.

Hmm, you saying Morrigan has some interesting stuff at the end of the game sounds intriguing and makes me wonder if I should just stick with Morrigan, though I wanted to experience as much of the content as possible and although Leliana would probably be a better fit for my goody two shoes character (yeah, I simply cannot play evil... and I love happy endings...). I presume that having not played with Leliana, you don't know if she also has some interesting stuff at the end, right?

(BTW: I am loving this game! The BioWare folk have really outdone themselves. Oh, and also there are no stability issues I have experienced at all - I guess the delay allowed their Q&A department to really nail it this time.)

That is correct. While I did get to experience some of the "early" romance type stuff with Leliana (which I thought was interesting), I definitely don't know the details of it farther down its path.

I'm level 10 and I've yet to meet the 'trainer' to become a Champion... anyone know where (s)he is? Maybe I should become a Templar instead... :)

This one is a bit obscure.

How you will likely have to get it: It'll be on a book on a vendor. Keep and eye out for it.

The most consistent way of getting it (I'm not sure where the book is), is unfortunately done much later in the game, towards the end game. The trainer is a person that you don't have access to until all the open world plots are done. It is

Loghain

(this could be a big spoiler. Read at own risk!!!!

Once you unlock any specialization, they should be available for all subsequent characters though.

Hmm, you saying Morrigan has some interesting stuff at the end of the game sounds intriguing and makes me wonder if I should just stick with Morrigan, though I wanted to experience as much of the content as possible and although Leliana would probably be a better fit for my goody two shoes character (yeah, I simply cannot play evil... and I love happy endings...). I presume that having not played with Leliana, you don't know if she also has some interesting stuff at the end, right?

(BTW: I am loving this game! The BioWare folk have really outdone themselves. Oh, and also there are no stability issues I have experienced at all - I guess the delay allowed their Q&A department to really nail it this time.)

That is correct. While I did get to experience some of the "early" romance type stuff with Leliana (which I thought was interesting), I definitely don't know the details of it farther down its path.

Hmm, that gives me an idea. Perhaps one way would be to try to develop a romance with Leliana first and then switch to Morrigan later thus getting to experience also the interesting Morrigan romance end-game content that has been referred to by you and Azure (of course, it could be that Leliana also has interesting end-game romance content [could somebody who has done the Leliana romance confirm or deny that?]).

The above plan poses only one problem, namely that I have already sort of started the romance with Morrigan. Then again, perhaps the game doesn't quite recognize it as a fully fledged romance yet. Does anybody know at what point the romance 'officially' begins to be a romance in terms of how the game views it?

I just got to that part with Morrigan, near the ending, and it is very intriguing. Has me wondering what the inevitable sequel will be about.

I would say definitely stick with Morrigan your first time around. I think it works with the story better. Leliana will definitely not give you the options Morrigan does at the end.

Start spilling the beans alan.

Will Superman make an appearance in the sequel?

I guess female Grey Wardens get nothing then? Male Grey Warden = canon?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Morrigan gets on my nerves. The way I'm playing, I can barely get her approval over 0.

Then again, I did a really ridiculous goodie-two-shoes thingie in Redcliffe and I was astonished to see a "Leliana disapproves -5" on screen afterwards. Darn irony.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I think you will see the Morrigan end-game content regardless of whether you romance her or not. Its part of the story and explains why Morrigan is in your party in the first place. I think she will approach your character with certain options regardless of whether you romance her or not.

However, if you do romance her, that particular portion of the game is more meaningful for your character.

Seems like you want to experience as much as the game allows during your first playthrough, so perhaps romancing Leliana will expose you more to the game, since I'm pretty sure the Morrigan end game content is an integral part of the story and sequels and will happen no matter what.

I just got to that part with Morrigan, near the ending, and it is very intriguing. Has me wondering what the inevitable sequel will be about.

I would say definitely stick with Morrigan your first time around. I think it works with the story better. Leliana will definitely not give you the options Morrigan does at the end.

Start spilling the beans alan.

Will Superman make an appearance in the sequel?

I guess female Grey Wardens get nothing then? Male Grey Warden = canon?

Well, I thought that too, but there are (BIG SPOILER)

two other options that Morrigan has. She will probably ask you to get either Alistair or Loghain (if alive) to help.

I think you will see the Morrigan end-game content regardless of whether you romance her or not. Its part of the story and explains why Morrigan is in your party in the first place. I think she will approach your character with certain options regardless of whether you romance her or not.

However, if you do romance her, that particular portion of the game is more meaningful for your character.

Seems like you want to experience as much as the game allows during your first playthrough, so perhaps romancing Leliana will expose you more to the game, since I'm pretty sure the Morrigan end game content is an integral part of the story and sequels and will happen no matter what.

The dialogue is very, very different if Morrigan loves you. As is her epilogue.

Well life got a hell of a lot easier with Wynne, hah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have to admit, that bit that is annoying me is healing in boss combats in this game. I don't know why, but after visiting most of the locations, raiding all the elfroot plants I can find, buying all the potions from merchants.. I'm always sucking down with only 2 or 3 poultices... usually the lesser.

In ways I'm feeling that I have to be missing something blindingly obvious.. but still.. Morrigans herbalism ramped up, but no ingredients available to actually make any of the damn things myself..

Having to start the Brood Mother battle with 3 lesser healing poultices, and 6 lesser lyrium potions... Is proving to be a touch of a problem...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I just installed my copy and went to my BioWare account to register it... and there's no way to do it. Can I get the free DLC without registering it? The BioWAre forums are completely bogged... I have to wait for an eternity for the pages to even come up.

Di, I found the quickest and easiest way of managing this problem was simply opening a new account in-game if that makes sense.

All of a sudden it worked very quickly, maybe a server issue or something.

Actually, I haven't even tried playing the game yet. I usually get all the bureaucratic stuff done first. Is there a place in-game to register? If so, thank you so very much for the info!