Dragon Age story/plot discussion

alanschu

"I had a whole bunch of them by then. Now (at level 12) I'm just tossing them left and right, it's multiple enchantment slots or bust."

Meh. I'm gettings crewed for some reason. Hope it's not some sort of lame bug.

This has probably been answered much earlier in the thread, but is the l00t random?

The USPS failed to get me my copy on its Saturday round (despite receiving it at the local post office at about 4:00 that morning, according to my online tracking), but it should be waiting for me when I come home today. And Wednesday is a federal holiday! :ermm:

So far I've played the Dalish Elf (fighter), Human Noble (rogue) and Magi origin. I'm not sure which one to continue with... :ermm:

Am finding it annoying that I can't change the camera angle whilst in strategy mode. I actually preferred NWN2's camera.

"I had a whole bunch of them by then. Now (at level 12) I'm just tossing them left and right, it's multiple enchantment slots or bust."

I think it depends on where one goes first after Lothering. Some areas may drop lots of good loot compared to others.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It's identical to Diablo, some weapons have slots. Talk to Sandal and an arbitration screen opens up, pop the appropriate rune into the item and that's it.

All the crafting in this game is so easy even I can do it. I make lots of potions, it's a shame plants don't regrow.

Cheers

MC

I actually found the crafting to be a bit too simple.

But I always did laugh when in the middle of a hard fight, I could instantly craft me up some health potions :ermm:

So far I've played the Dalish Elf (fighter), Human Noble (rogue) and Magi origin. I'm not sure which one to continue with... :ermm:

Am finding it annoying that I can't change the camera angle whilst in strategy mode. I actually preferred NWN2's camera.

It's supposed to be isometric and you can still rotate it by holding the right mouse button, no?

This has probably been answered much earlier in the thread, but is the l00t random?

Some of the loot is random, but a lot of it is not. I don't think the socketable items are random.

I've been playing for 20 hours and according to the in-game statistics only completely 13% of the game and explored 18% of the world... this is definitely going over 100 hours.

I'm at 42 hours (Main character + 4 additional origin stories) with 36% game completion and 82% of the world explored. I'm almost finished my first run. I'd expect that I'm not more than 1 or 2 areas away from the final boss. I am currently

clearing out the palace grounds before I head over to the Fort where the Archdemon is hanging out. First time through I got wiped in the opening encounter of the Fort. That damn curse of mortality is a huge pain in the ass.

Currently level 18 I believe. Hoping to get Wynne to 19 before the end so I can give her Cone of Cold.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that those stats are based on your achievements earned. I believe you get an achievement (maybe just a hidden one.... I can't remember) for every area you reach the first time, and the 36% game completion is definitely based on achievements. It's a bit misleading, but I'm pretty sure the only way to get every achievement is to actually 100% experience all of the content in the game, sooo it technically is accurate along that metric :p

Yay. I has teh game.

Installed, redeemed the code for the Shale DLC, downloaded and installed that, and made me a wizardy-type character (human male). I took the first level of the Cold spells and whatever-you-call the one that has the sleep spell in it. I had futzed about with the character creator a few days ago, but I didn't bother uploading anything. Bonus items are for the weak.

I hear there's a patch, but I didn't see any in-game updater. Is one forced to apply it the old-fashioned way?

The opening cinematic was very ho-hum, as was the intro to the Mage Origin, but it is nice to see the DA logo come up when starting the game, accompanied by something other than the silly Manson music.

am thinking that we has gotten more use from cone of cold than any other spell thus far... combine with our big damage warrior using mighty blow, and we gots shattered enemies littering dungeon floors all across felderan (sp?). line up right and we typically freeze 3-4 bad guys at once. is odd, but 'cause enemy ai seems prioritize targets based on armour worn, lightly armoured mages seems to be able to move relative unmolested 'bout the battlefield.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

IIRC there was a fair bit of tweaking (before I started work) with the threat mechanics, part of which is the AI setting its initial threat levels based on the armor rating of the game. I guess before this "tank" characters were very ineffective since their ability to keep the enemy focus paled in comparison to the damage and effects of the mages. As a result, the consequence led to ineffective mages because you couldn't really use them without them dying very quickly. Essentially, combat was deemed to not be very much fun from what I hear.

It could probably use more tweaking. Feedback for stuff like this could be useful for other games as well as potential patches.

Around the office, the most effective groups in terms of face stomping tended to be:

1 tank and 3 mages, with a heavy leaning to those 3 mages being blood mages.

Edited by alanschu

I think it works alright at the moment - tanks' threaten abilities are needed because even when you hide your mages, the collision mechanics mean the enemies sort of 'squeeze' past your wall of armed warriors to get at your mages, breaking formation. It's been an issue since NWN1 with the coming of 3D, so without good 'threaten' abilities you'd have a giant, bloody mess.

I still can't get Shale to work - the DLC is now enabled, but he doesn't appear in my world map. Is it because I started the game before I finished downloading? I'm not too bothered as I can do it in the second playthrough, but it's all rather opaque.

Well I finally beat it! Total play time for that character was just under 44 hours (43:58) and I was somewhere in the 80's for percentage of the world explored and had done very few of the side quests. Constantly running across the country with the load times I was getting would not have been pleasant. No more all nighters!

The final battle actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Edited by Deraldin

I have some questions about the romances with Morrigan or Leliana.

1) Which romance would you say has more content or is just generally better?

2) a) Is it possible to romance Morrigan first and then switch to Leliana after that romance is 'complete'?

2) b) If the above is possible, is it still achievable to maintain a friendly relationship with Morrigan after ending the romance with her and switching to Leliana?

Thanks! :p

1) I have only played through enough to see Morrigan. She has some interesting stuff at the end of the game though.

2) I'm 99% sure you CAN switch. I know with other romances you can. It permanently cuts you off from the "first" one though.

3) If you do stuff to improve the approval, you'll be friends again.

1) I have only played through enough to see Morrigan. She has some interesting stuff at the end of the game though.

2) I'm 99% sure you CAN switch. I know with other romances you can. It permanently cuts you off from the "first" one though.

3) If you do stuff to improve the approval, you'll be friends again.

Thanks for the answers! :)

Hmm, you saying Morrigan has some interesting stuff at the end of the game sounds intriguing and makes me wonder if I should just stick with Morrigan, though I wanted to experience as much of the content as possible and although Leliana would probably be a better fit for my goody two shoes character (yeah, I simply cannot play evil... and I love happy endings...). I presume that having not played with Leliana, you don't know if she also has some interesting stuff at the end, right?

(BTW: I am loving this game! The BioWare folk have really outdone themselves. Oh, and also there are no stability issues I have experienced at all - I guess the delay allowed their Q&A department to really nail it this time.)

I just got to that part with Morrigan, near the ending, and it is very intriguing. Has me wondering what the inevitable sequel will be about.

I would say definitely stick with Morrigan your first time around. I think it works with the story better. Leliana will definitely not give you the options Morrigan does at the end.

Start spilling the beans alan.

Will Superman make an appearance in the sequel?

Edited by Azure79