Dragon Age story/plot discussion

alanschu

I'm going to start on Hard and pause to micro everyone a la IE games, so the lack of an action queue might get annoying. I didn't bother with the scripts in BG, or FF12, and I'm not going to bother now - I have strategy and simulation games that do that sort of thing much better.

I'm sure it helps those of us who don't want to pause every 2 seconds, though.

Its not available here until Friday, so I suppose half of you will have beaten the game by then and will spoil me silly.

Wondering one thing, Alan. Can you open the console and muck around? I always end up wanting to change my class/gender/occupation etc. several hours into the game and its poop to have to replay it. I think I played the first part of NWN2 2-3 times before I got a character I was happy with.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

A sword-and-board Berserker doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll go that route if I need to.

Change the sword to a spear and you've got the historical gallic berserker. Change it to an axe and you have a germanic one. Just saying.

Right then, guess I'll get this game. Funnily enough, it's going to be the first Bioware game since KotOR that I've bought, but some of the comments here have sold me. Now, I'll just wait for the bargain bin to thunk.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm going to start on Hard and pause to micro everyone a la IE games, so the lack of an action queue might get annoying. I didn't bother with the scripts in BG, or FF12, and I'm not going to bother now - I have strategy and simulation games that do that sort of thing much better.

I'm sure it helps those of us who don't want to pause every 2 seconds, though.

I'm the same way. Inveterate control freak and pause whore in RTWP CRPGs. Although I tend to play everything on the default difficulty.

Currently downloading the character creator. There's a better than even chance that I'll put an order in on Amazon later this evening. (And then wait patiently for the free shipping option, which usually doesn't take as long as they advertise around here.) The early reviews have mostly confirmed my suspicions about the game-- i.e., it's a competent party-based fantasy CRPG, and whether one considers it "OK" or "Great" depends heavily on one's tolerance for (or, I suppose, enjoyment of) genre cliches, clumsy sex n' gore fan service, and Bioware character writing. Other than a Civ4 game or two I'd like to wrap up, I don't have much else I'd rather be playing right now.

Wondering one thing, Alan. Can you open the console and muck around? I always end up wanting to change my class/gender/occupation etc. several hours into the game and its poop to have to replay it. I think I played the first part of NWN2 2-3 times before I got a character I was happy with.

I can't confirm, but I don't think the game shipped with the dev console being active. It was standard tilde to access it during development, so someone else can probably confirm.

If you have an idea of what type of character you'd like, I could help out (and by Friday, others probably could as well) during your planning stages.

I can't confirm, but I don't think the game shipped with the dev console being active.

However many games are that way, and most of those only require a 0-to-1 .ini edit to re-enable it. :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

So apparently Steam bumped me up to a Deluxe Edition even though I paid for a regular digital release. Too late to fix their mistake now - I redeemed the code they gave me.

To celebrate I am going to spend the $15 accidentally saved on alcohol. High fives all around!

If you have an idea of what type of character you'd like, I could help out (and by Friday, others probably could as well) during your planning stages.

I want one that looks totally badass and isnt too boring toplay with :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ok so I might buy this. Two questions though.

Can we turn off the ridiculous blood splatter effect on character models and can we play through the entire without any sex scenes/romance? No offense, but Bio fan service isn't really what I'm looking for in an RPG.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I've heard that you can turn off the blood - bigger question for me, can you turn off or tone down those big ugly markers and glitters on selected objects? I'll be a happy chump if I can play with as little of those massive arrows and circles making everything look like a government form as possible.

And I'm sure every romance will have a 'piss off, git' option that BG2 had.

Well the romance I'm pretty sure won't be necessary. I'm just wondering if there are any other Bio fan service (read: goofy sex scenes).

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Oh noes!!! :o

:o

It's cool, I had a save file handy right after the conversation with Duncan & Cailan. :) I found it amusing actually, I ran up to the crevice in the cliff to get a closer look at the surrounding area and it ports you there. :thumbsup: Reminds me of my WoW days where me and a friend from IRL would hack/wall walk our way into areas that were still in development (Caverns of Time pre BC for you WoW players here,) GM Isle, Zul-gurub beta.... *sigh* good times.

But yeah, here's the exact cliff (complete with crevice) and an image of the map.

screenshot2009110322290.jpg

screenshot2009110322292.jpg

Edited by Syraxis

You only have sex/romance type stuff happen if you choose for it to happen. I haven't seen a BioWare game where this has been unavoidable. Certainly nothing somewhat random like the scene with the Oracle in Mass Effect, which may not be "unavoidable" but certainly wasn't expected.

The blood splatter effect can be turned off. In fact, I did turn it off. I have no issues with armor getting bloodied, but I think they should have had it slowly go away over time. So a conversation right after battle, sure some blood works. After wandering around for a bit, wipe your face dammit! Hahaha.

Not sure what you're asking Tigranes. Are you referring to the highlighted sparkles on lootable items and whatnot?

As an added bonus, one more shot of the bottom (for those curious) :thumbsup:

screenshot2009110321342.jpg

Oh! You found a way to run off the "intended walking area" for Ostagar? HAHAHAHA. Yeah if you get down there some how, it's gonna look super weird because it's all designed to NOT be seen from every angle hahaha.

I'd like to take this time to comment that I joined the game at the very end of the PC development, and hence did no PC testing (outside of what I found while playing the game "normally" i.e. not specifically looking to break the game). :o

I wonder if it's a Vista issue? Or some weird rare bug with the installer? I have "heard" that Vista really prefers stuff to be installed in Program Files, but I wouldn't think that that outright prohibits installs from happening outside of there. Otherwise you'd have already mentioned it!

I assume it is a Vista issue, but others haven

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm going to start on Hard and pause to micro everyone a la IE games, so the lack of an action queue might get annoying.

That, I just can't understand that decision. Plus if they had an action queue, they could let you autopause on action queue going empty, saving you all that random pausing every 2 sec. The official answer from Laidlaw was to use the AI scripts instead, if I understood him correctly.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The blood splatter effect can be turned off. In fact, I did turn it off. I have no issues with armor getting bloodied, but I think they should have had it slowly go away over time. So a conversation right after battle, sure some blood works. After wandering around for a bit, wipe your face dammit! Hahaha.

:thumbsup:

Nice to know it's optional at least. How's everyone finding the difficulty? I've read a couple of complaints that it's too steep.

The AI system looks awesome, actually.

i started a while ago as a mage then had to bug out for cub scouts (my son, not me). now i'm back and...

let's just say there's a character in the beginning sequence that has its reverb turned up so high it is almost impossible to understand what it says. thankfully, the few items you really need to understand they put the sentences at the top so you could read them.

is it supposed to be that way?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Are you referring to the opening video? I never had a problem hearing it. Or was an in game conversation during one of the origin stories?

How's everyone finding the difficulty? I've read a couple of complaints that it's too steep.

I initially found it quite difficult. It seems like Maria is having a much easier go of it than I did on my first playthrough. I had full party wipes at two scenes during the prelude. One was in the Korcari Wilds

With the encounter on the bridge. I was flanked by stealthed rogues from behind, and a spellcasting Emissary smashed me with a fireball, and resulted in me chasing him and getting caught up in some traps as the Emissary chuckled at me.

My second wipe was at the end of the Tower,

with the Ogre, after the battle with the darkspawn has begun at Ostagar. I ended up beating it the second time with some entertaining kiting haha

Though a lot of my early difficulties were because I was not at all expecting the game to be difficult (like KOTOR and ME) so I was caught off guard to start.

Edited by alanschu