Business Models for PC RPGs

EdwinP

These days you can't make money selling users a single game through a retailer - unless its a best seller. You need to offer a product that gives you a constant stream of income - either via a monthly feee (i.e. WOW) or a constant stream of expansions that are so low priced that a fan of the game finds it hard not to purchase it.

From what I am reading the new Dragon Age Origins business model is to follow the game release with a constrant stream (i.e. monthly) of add-on adventures and enhancements that players can purchase directly from Bioware (EA). The improved toolset will allow their design experts to turn out these high quality enhancements at a minimal cost.

This makes perfect sense, a $40 game of which Bioware receives $20 (50%) from retailers can easily become a $100 game of which Bioware receives $20 + $60 in addons. If they later offer a subscription model for these add-ons they will have a guaranteed stream of income for a specific period of time.

They are doing what Atari should have done with NWN2 and TOEE. Release a constant stream of direct purchase updates to increase the lifetime value of the product.

Take TOEE (Temple of Elemental Evil) for example, here you had a game with the best turn D&D based tactical combat engine of the time. There were no expansions or add-ons (other than the free and idependently developed Keep on the Borderlands by CO8.oRG). The game died, and they did not maximize its potential income.

It would have been a relatively inexpensive matter to offer a TOEE subscription package that offered new content monthly to the core package (new classes, spells, NPCs, magical items, races, creatures, quests and adventures) that utilized the existing locations and added new adventure locations for say $9.95 a month - thats about $120 a year - the price of 3 games. If sales did not meet profit projections they could have stopped the subscriptions.

These days you can't make money selling users a single game through a retailer - unless its a best seller. You need to offer a product that gives you a constant stream of income - either via a monthly feee (i.e. WOW) or a constant stream of expansions that are so low priced that a fan of the game finds it hard not to purchase it.

Games are still sold through retailers without DLC or subscriptions and make money without being best sellers. NWN2 had 3 expansions.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

It's not worth the money. I'm not opposed to the business model per se, although it doesn't strike me personally as a particularly enjoyable way to play a game, but I'll just purchase all the content when it comes out collected onto one dvd at the store. A gold edition of the game or whatever.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I dont see the appeal of releasing little bits here and there in a small game world (compared to a MMORPG). I mean, are you going to replay the entire game just to get a keep? Or to try a few new spells? Or to get a new item? I dunno, maybe a new race would be worth it, but for me, replaying a single player game has never happened. Even my all time favorite, BGII has a large mod-made expansion come out (whos name escapes me at the moment) with tons of new classes and stuff and I just couldnt get into it enough to experience the same story with only a slight twist. Hell, I cant even bother to level my alts in WoW because I dont want to go through all the old crap again.

ToEE died because it wasn't really a good game. It got bad reviews and had a pretty mediocre reception by the public. DLC would not have done anything to save it. Bioware does not release games in such a state, and that is why they are successful.

I'm a big fan of the ToEE combat engine, but lets call a spade a spade.

These days you can't make money selling users a single game through a retailer - unless its a best seller.

your entire thread is based on this statement, do you have any evidence of this statement being true?

so long as your proceeds outweigh your costs (including leases, technology, salaries, marketing, development etc etc etc) you've made money. a game can even do barely more than break even and you're still in the game because you've gained at least the years of salary it took to develop it.

how do you define best-seller?

was world of goo a bestseller?

was nwn 2 a best seller?

gears of war?

torment?

your whole post is just speculation imo

edit: another obvious problem with your inanity is that dragon age is going to be a bestseller, regardless of whether it has dlc or not. the dlc isnt what makes it a bestseller, its the quality and marketing.

the key to making money is making a good game and marketing it, without going overbudget on your costs, dlc is just bonus on top of that, its not what makes or breaks anything

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

These days you can't make money selling users a single game through a retailer - unless its a best seller.

your entire thread is based on this statement, do you have any evidence of this statement being true?

Less then 30% of the games break even

And it's for this generation. If prices stay the same and games sell as much as they do now, in next generation situation will be even worse. Personally I think something need to change but there cerrtainly ain't easy solution.

I hate the whole DLC idea for singleplayer games. I don't need extra content unless it's total new adventure like in MotB or GTA 4 (exclusive damnit) DLCs. Content like Wardens Keep or Fallout 3 DLCs mean nothing to me.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

"I hate the whole DLC idea for singleplayer games."

Then don't buy them. DLC is there for those who want them.

I hate the whole diea of makeup but hey, it's there for those who want it. *shrUG*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

less than 30% of games are good (imo), so right now i say the success rate is better than it should be.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

google metacritic, look at how many games are above 85%, then look at how many are below.

What's the metric for a "good game?"

Is 80% not acceptable?

Have there been games that achieve your metascore but were not profitable? How strong is the correlation?

Metacritic sure ain't the best way to define how good a game is, it is misleading.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

From what I am reading the new Dragon Age Origins business model is to follow the game release with a constrant stream (i.e. monthly) of add-on adventures and enhancements that players can purchase directly from Bioware (EA). The improved toolset will allow their design experts to turn out these high quality enhancements at a minimal cost.

This makes perfect sense, a $40 game of which Bioware receives $20 (50%) from retailers can easily become a $100 game of which Bioware receives $20 + $60 in addons. If they later offer a subscription model for these add-ons they will have a guaranteed stream of income for a specific period of time.

They are doing what Atari should have done with NWN2 and TOEE. Release a constant stream of direct purchase updates to increase the lifetime value of the product.

Take TOEE (Temple of Elemental Evil) for example, here you had a game with the best turn D&D based tactical combat engine of the time. There were no expansions or add-ons (other than the free and idependently developed Keep on the Borderlands by CO8.oRG). The game died, and they did not maximize its potential income.

It would have been a relatively inexpensive matter to offer a TOEE subscription package that offered new content monthly to the core package (new classes, spells, NPCs, magical items, races, creatures, quests and adventures) that utilized the existing locations and added new adventure locations for say $9.95 a month - thats about $120 a year - the price of 3 games. If sales did not meet profit projections they could have stopped the subscriptions.

yes that's what we realy need... monthly subcription to be able to play single player games... The only thing we need now, is the introduction of downloadable End Boss fights!!!

"Did you enjoy the game, now we offer to you, the possibility to beat it for only 10$ Buy now the End Boss DLC, from our online store!!!"

</sarcasm off>

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Now i found that they even offer Digital Download Collector's Edition... This is extremely ridiculous...

yeah this sort of collector's edition will realy shine in my shelf near my Night Vision Goggles, PIP-Boy and Yo****aka Amano's artwork...

EDIT: And please make something with your bad word filtering thingie... if it filter's out the name of one of the best japanese game artists, there is something wrong :p

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

yes that's what we realy need... monthly subcription to be able to play single player games... The only thing we need now, is the introduction of downloadable End Boss fights!!!

"Did you enjoy the game, now we offer to you, the possibility to beat it for only 10$ Buy now the End Boss DLC, from our online store!!!"

</sarcasm off>

And people seem to be buying it. And they can't even be console peasants, cos it's the, you know, PC version. What's up with THAT? :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Is 80% not acceptable?

Have there been games that achieve your metascore but were not profitable? How strong is the correlation?

360 platform.

Assassin's Creed has an overall of 81 on metacritic, it sold 4.53 million.

Fable 2 overall 89, sold 3.21 mil.

Mass Effect overall of 91, sold 2.08 mil.

Fallout 3 overall 93, sold 2.63 mil.

Oblivion overall 94, sold 2.84 mil.

It seem pretty random to me, I don't think metacritic score has that big of a say in sales numbers.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Is 80% not acceptable?

360 platform.

It seem pretty random to me, I don't think metacritic score has that big of a say in sales numbers.

Do you have a source for these sales numbers?

Is 80% not acceptable?

360 platform.

Oh I wouldn't doubt that there is a correlation somewhere. I would bet a lot of money that you have more game sales if you score more than 50% in metacritic compared to below :)

What determines a "good" game is tricky though. And whether or not game buyers want it is also a different story.