Windows 7 OEM version

Wrath of Dagon

I've bought the OEM version and it's a lot cheaper than retail, but before I install it I was wondering if it's really legal. So I read some stuff on the web and found this from an MS mod:

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...b3-cc55cf7b9231

So I guess it's OK, you just have to hope your motherboard doesn't die.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I have an OEM version too and I havent noticed anything wonky.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If you're a college student -or anyone else with a valid .edu address- you can get a full "Upgrade Version" of either Home Premium (x86 or x64) or Professional (x86 or x64) for $30 - and in reality the "Upgrade Versions" can be used as a normal, "Full Version" without any problems. :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

If you're a college student -or anyone else with a valid .edu address- you can get a full "Upgrade Version" of either Home Premium (x86 or x64) or Professional (x86 or x64) for $30 - and in reality the "Upgrade Versions" can be used as a normal, "Full Version" without any problems. :thumbsup:

[/q]

Im using the $30 .edu Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Version and its running great! :lol: Definitly worth $30 bucks! Although I do want a few more gigs of ram to help round out my gaming performance. Im surprised by how well all of my games are running on it too! Im enjoying the widgets also!

If your motherboard dies and you replace it with the same model or very close to it, that's also fine - I've done this. You have to call Microsoft's activation phone line.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

If you're a student of some kind, you should check if your school has a MSDNAA agreement. In that case you can get W7 Ultimate for free :thumbsup: I've had the full version for, like, ages.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Yeah, I wish I could've found someone with an .edu address for that deal. As it is, I wound up paying 110 on Newegg for the Home Premium OEM, which I'm sure will be fine. It's a pretty solid OS and worth the money if you're going to have your computer for a few years. I've been using the release candidate for a while, although I foolishly downloaded the 32 bit version when I should've gotten the 64 bit one. And thus my machine is recognizing only some of the 6 gigs of RAM I have in it.

Should be getting my legit copy tomorrow, though.

Matthew Rorie

I'll probably end up getting the upgrade retail version for my Vista Ultimate (worst 400$ spent). I considered the OEM version back then, but decided against is, since I wasn't "finished" building my PC at the time.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wonder if my old college e-mail still works. :o

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

If your motherboard dies and you replace it with the same model or very close to it, that's also fine - I've done this. You have to call Microsoft's activation phone line.

Apparently you're kind of at their mercy at that point. Plus I'm not sure you'll be able to find the same model in a couple of years.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

• 2 weeks later...
I've bought the OEM version and it's a lot cheaper than retail, but before I install it I was wondering if it's really legal. So I read some stuff on the web and found this from an MS mod:

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...b3-cc55cf7b9231

If you do change out your mobo then call the MS activation center and they will reset your serial # to your new mobo. OR after 6 months your serial gets reset automaticly anyways. Either case issue resolved.

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente