Warhammer 40k: Space Marines

Oner

If you are lucky, you might find some of the old rule books in bargain bins in second hand book stores. Rogue Trader and the two Realms of Chaos books are especially worth keeping an eye out for.

As Floodland said, The Horus Heresy series of novels. My current favourite is actually an art book The Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, which has a surprising amount of background details and stories. Including how Malcador instigated the creation of the Holy Inquisition as his last act before getting sentenced to the chair.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Off-topic, but I just recognised the card in your sig, overseer :)

But yeah, concerning Horus Heresy, I can't wait until I get to whichever one of the books has an Ultramarine and a World Eater on the same ship. I was grabbed when my stepdad gave me an excerpt along the lines of the World Eater, sat at the table where battleplans are being discussed and "twitching with bloodlust". Which reminds me, I really should be reading more of the books than I am at the moment.

BATTLE, n. A method of untying with the teeth of a political knot that would not yield to the tongue. - Ambrose Bierce

As Floodland said, The Horus Heresy series of novels. My current favourite is actually an art book The Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, which has a surprising amount of background details and stories. Including how Malcador instigated the creation of the Holy Inquisition as his last act before getting sentenced to the chair.

My proudest achievement if I do say so. :)

Anyway, the Horus Heresy series is pretty good - I mean it's not amazing literary genius and some of the books are pretty bad considering that even (Descent of Angels, and Battle for the Abyss, in my opinion. The SMs in that book aren't real uber zealots, I guess that's one of the effects of the heresy that they end up like that in 40k. They should make a movie based on Ciaphas Cain :D

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ah yes, World Eaters... They will slice and dice their opponents, then grab their entrails and strangle them with it and then suck out their eyeballs when they start to pop. That was before they turned bad :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ah yes, World Eaters... They will slice and dice their opponents, then grab their entrails and strangle them with it and then suck out their eyeballs when they start to pop. That was before they turned bad :*

Like I said, I'd pay good money to just sit and watch the most-likely cinematic glory of Angron going absolutely apes**t for an hour and a half. I shouldn't have laughed when he burst out of the rubble in Galaxy in Flames, but I did. And it was good. I should probably stop surfing 1d4chan, it reminded me too much of an Angry Marine version of the 1d4chan Kharn :)

@overseer: Is it one of the three people I think it is? Or is that guess way out?

Edited by Floodland

BATTLE, n. A method of untying with the teeth of a political knot that would not yield to the tongue. - Ambrose Bierce

@overseer: Is it one of the three people I think it is? Or is that guess way out?

couldn't fit the entire number unfortunately

Ah, right :o

"Nice screensaver!"

Edited by Floodland

But how would the audience relate to a bunch of genetically altered fascists with oversized guns? You need to have relatable characters.

I know, maybe one became a space marine when his family was gruesomely murdered by the evil orks/eldar/under-things? Another could be a bright-eyed idealist who will then be disappointed by all the fascism and sacrifice himself. Also maybe a hard-as-nails commander who is on his last mission before retirement, he lives only for war, but maybe during the course of the story he could learn to love...

**** please, you're offending my good taste.

Well, to be a space marine he would have to worship the god emperor, I think he should be the wide eyed idealist whose spirit is crushed by the end of the movie and becomes the vicious fascist by the end of it. Basically have the ending sequence be an awards ceremony or something which symbolizes the end of his transition of kind hearted hero who only wanted to help his people into the dark killer who wants to purge the alien scum.

I am tired of the cliche` of the hero needs to be the kind savior, lets see a movie where the main character starts likable and ends up the spawn of Satan who is willing to do horrible things to "save" humanity. MGS 3-like ending FTW

Many people like the cold distant "bad ass" hero i mean look at the sales to games like Doom and Halo, the main characters have the personality and likability of coke cans yet people still love them. Nah, the Master Chief and friends hype ensues because someone combines idiots with popularity. As for Doom, we know why play it, and it sure as Hell (haha) isn't because of the Doom Guy. Duke Nukem on the other hand...

Also one additonal thing, when you die your service doesn't always end. Sometimes they dump your dead self into a large mecha and you keep serving until that is blown up too. You know what they say, waste not want not. Dreadnoughts are just very very wounded, no?

Responses added in the quote.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page, but the novels would probably be a better start. Kick off with the Horus Heresy series, explains why Chaos Marines exist, and then I think you can pretty much take your pick from there.
I heard there's some piece of backstory which implies that

the Horus Heresy was just one big Just As Planned of the Emperor

. I don't know if I like that.

I should probably stop surfing 1d4chan, it reminded me too much of an Angry Marine version of the 1d4chan Kharn :o
4chan Kharn rules. :lol:

The trailer doesn't tell me what kind of game it is. Space marines look cool on a tabletop, and really stupid up close, and I'm tired of their Warhammer RTSs now.
TPS focusing on melee, probably Dynasty Warriors style (1 swing = 10 dead).

:lol: I was kidding, if some of you didn't catch that.

say, what do i read to become geektized in W40K?

TVtropes, of course!

That's the best summary I've seen in a very long time :o

"Commander Chenkov of Valhalla routinely abuses the Imperial Guard's reserves to overwhelm the enemy with endless waves of poorly-trained, disposable conscripts. He's also been known to use his troops to clear minefields for tanks and bog enemy units down so that the artillery can shell them, and once executed a million of his own men to build a dam from their bodies. His regiment, the Tundra Wolves, has been refounded more than a dozen times in recent decades due to casualties, and it's rumored that he's killed more of his own men than he has of the enemy. And of course, since this is the Imperium, he's routinely awarded medals and commendations for quickly defeating the enemy with these brutal tactics. "

...he used to lead my Valhallan army ;)

Damnit, why did you link ot TVtropes, now I lost half an hour of time I could have used to work on homework!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Why is Relic wasting it's talent on some silly action game? They better should work on Homeworld 3 or something.

Because the sad reality is that there is a much higher chance of the silly action game making more money and selling more copies then Homeworld 3.

Though at the same time i am only now starting to get into the Warhammer 40K universe so i would personally love to play a game in it. Though does it always have to be Space Marines and Orks?

Though does it always have to be Space Marines and Orks?
Personally I prefer Orks over Chaos or Eldar. Unless Chaos is being led by Eliphas.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind the change either.

If we want a serious movie, then IG all the way. Nothing like the obvious hopelessness, madness and terror those people have to face.

Aaaand how badass they become if they survive.

Odds are, though, that they'd just put Gaunt's Ghosts to the screen. As terrifyingly awesome as Ibram and the First-and-Only are, I'd like to see something new. Whoever they decide to go with as protagonists, though, 'Nids have to be included. ALWAYS.

The Ghosts would get my vote. Would have to be Paul Bettany for Gaunt. He's the only actor I can thin of who would carry off the complexity of the character. Of course, I also think they should have it with Earth people instead of Tanith. Fling together a mess of Yanks, Brits, pacifists, the elderly, a big stew of people being forced to cope with Guard discipline and the 40k universe in general.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.