Warhammer 40k: Space Marines

Oner

if a warhammer 40k movie were ever to be made...

...It would be THE movie to dethrone Transformers 2 as the worst movie of all time.

have you seen district 9? the scenes with the power armor look straight out of warhammer, and they look great. I for one really liked that movie, i've only heard bad things about transformers.

edit: straight to dvd animated warhammer movie = i'll pass, thanks.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

have you seen district 9?

Yes.

the scenes with the power armor look straight out of warhammer

No.

Also, whoever is stupid enough to make a high budget WH40K movie deserves to lose all that money when the movie inevitably bombs.

Edited by Purkake

It seems like people are working under the misconception that a WH40K movie/game can only be about the Astartes (Space Marines). Just about everything else in the WH40K universe is more interesting than those.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They aren't uninteresting, just overused. Big armored people stalwart safekeeping the empire against it's many foes, this may be nothing special nowadays, but 40k isn't 5 years old either.

'Cause they're funny as hell.

So the holy-crap-screw-a-40K-movie rule has exceptions...? Hmm...

BATTLE, n. A method of untying with the teeth of a political knot that would not yield to the tongue. - Ambrose Bierce

They aren't uninteresting, just overused. Big armored people stalwart safekeeping the empire against it's many foes, this may be nothing special nowadays, but 40k isn't 5 years old either.

If they could at least feature either some beer swilling, bawdy sons of Fenris or some brain eating, blood drinking maniacs from Baal, not the card board marines then :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If they could at least feature either some beer swilling, bawdy sons of Fenris or some brain eating, blood drinking maniacs from Baal, not the card board marines then :)

World Eaters tbh. Pre- or post-Heresy, either's good. I'd seriously pay to sit and watch Angron's perfectly-timed comedy berserker rages for an hour and a half.

BATTLE, n. A method of untying with the teeth of a political knot that would not yield to the tongue. - Ambrose Bierce

Space Wolves would be cool (especially with an Inquisition conflict), but to be honest, take a chaplain from DoW 1, same armor, same voice actor, have him beat **** up for an hour while spewing his usual lines, and I'd buy the DVD 10 times.

If we want a serious movie, then IG all the way. Nothing like the obvious hopelessness, madness and terror those people have to face.

Aaaand how badass they become if they survive.

If we want a serious movie, then IG all the way. Nothing like the obvious hopelessness, madness and terror those people have to face.

Aaaand how badass they become if they survive.

Odds are, though, that they'd just put Gaunt's Ghosts to the screen. As terrifyingly awesome as Ibram and the First-and-Only are, I'd like to see something new. Whoever they decide to go with as protagonists, though, 'Nids have to be included. ALWAYS.

Colonel Schaefers Last Chancers. Although the "Dirty Dozen" theme is a bit old too.

Does it have to be a "War" thing? Plenty of intrigue, corruption, scheming, brutality, exploitation, subversion etc. to take inspiration from. Heck, Blade Runner could have been set in the WH40K universe. I wouldn't mind another dystopian crime/bounty hunter story. Ferret out the threats from deviant cults, corrupt governors, apostates, heretics, mutants, aliens, etc.

So if not a movie about space marines, then who?

Tau? Eldar :) ?

It must also contain Necrons.

Hahhah, yeah, let's take the least interesting and least personal faction in the universe and have them in! I mean, there's nothing like cashing in with evil robot enemies! The audience doesn't have to think, for god's sake, that's modern filmography!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think a realistic movie with the Space Marines could be nice. As long as you capture how they are basically a bunch of genetically altered fascists who want to purge all life that isn't human....or worship their god emperor. If they portray them as the stalwart defenders of truth and justice then yeah it will suck, lets have a movie where the main characters are just as evil as the threat to the galaxy....which should be the orks since they are hilarious!

But how would the audience relate to a bunch of genetically altered fascists with oversized guns? You need to have relatable characters.

I know, maybe one became a space marine when his family was gruesomely murdered by the evil orks/eldar/under-things? Another could be a bright-eyed idealist who will then be disappointed by all the fascism and sacrifice himself. Also maybe a hard-as-nails commander who is on his last mission before retirement, he lives only for war, but maybe during the course of the story he could learn to love...

Edited by Purkake

I know, maybe one became a space marine when his family was gruesomely murdered by the evil orks/eldar/under-things? Another could be a bright-eyed idealist who will then be disappointed by all the fascism and sacrifice himself.

I could commit geekery again here... but I'm sure someone could do it better than I.

But how would the audience relate to a bunch of genetically altered fascists with oversized guns? You need to have relatable characters.

I know, maybe one became a space marine when his family was gruesomely murdered by the evil orks/eldar/under-things? Another could be a bright-eyed idealist who will then be disappointed by all the fascism and sacrifice himself. Also maybe a hard-as-nails commander who is on his last mission before retirement, he lives only for war, but maybe during the course of the story he could learn to love...

A few "logical" (in-setting logic) issues with that. You do not chose to become a space marine, you get picked after proving yourself worthy. You do not retire as a space marine, only in death does duty end. For most intents and purposes, space marines might as well have been aliens. IG might be a better choice for something where you want people to relate to characters and their situation. Doesn't mean that you can't feature the marines... or the titan legions or the adeptus mechanicus, or the adeptus sororitas or other armed forces. It just feels like it might be easier to sell the idea of one or more human protagonists.

Like Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus in Rome :)

Well, to be a space marine he would have to worship the god emperor, I think he should be the wide eyed idealist whose spirit is crushed by the end of the movie and becomes the vicious fascist by the end of it. Basically have the ending sequence be an awards ceremony or something which symbolizes the end of his transition of kind hearted hero who only wanted to help his people into the dark killer who wants to purge the alien scum.

I am tired of the cliche` of the hero needs to be the kind savior, lets see a movie where the main character starts likable and ends up the spawn of Satan who is willing to do horrible things to "save" humanity.

Many people like the cold distant "bad ass" hero i mean look at the sales to games like Doom and Halo, the main characters have the personality and likability of coke cans yet people still love them.

.....learn to love? Are we making a romantic comedy here? :)

A few "logical" (in-setting logic) issues with that. You do not chose to become a space marine, you get picked after proving yourself worthy. You do not retire as a space marine, only in death does duty end. For most intents and purposes, space marines might as well have been aliens. IG might be a better choice for something where you want people to relate to characters and their situation. Doesn't mean that you can't feature the marines... or the titan legions or the adeptus mechanicus, or the adeptus sororitas or other armed forces. It just feels like it might be easier to sell the idea of one or more human protagonists.

Like Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus in Rome :*

Also one additonal thing, when you die your service doesn't always end. Sometimes they dump your dead self into a large mecha and you keep serving until that is blown up too. You know what they say, waste not want not.

Edited by Atom523

25 years of rulebooks and novels?

say, what do i read to become geektized in W40K?

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page, but the novels would probably be a better start. Kick off with the Horus Heresy series, explains why Chaos Marines exist, and then I think you can pretty much take your pick from there.