MW2 cotroversy (spoilers)

Yeah, not playing that level.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's hardly the first time a game has gone around killing innocent people. Oh wait, now it's as a "terrorist" so it's different? In the late 90s there was a "great" game called Postal.

I'm saying the fact that it's disturbing indicates that perhaps game players a human beings and not desensitized drones that go around on shooting sprees killing innocent people.

It's hardly the first time a game has gone around killing innocent people. Oh wait, now it's as a "terrorist" so it's different? In the late 90s there was a "great" game called Postal.

I'm saying the fact that it's disturbing indicates that perhaps game players a human beings and not desensitized drones that go around on shooting sprees killing innocent people.

Postal wasn't a mainstream game by any stretch of the imagination, and the whole point of it was to be as offensive as possible. And I don't think anyone is saying players are like real terrorists, it's just the implications of playing a terrorist in a very realistic setting ripped from today's headlines, but I guess nothing is off limits anymore, I'm really not surprised.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Postal wasn't a mainstream game by any stretch of the imagination, and the whole point of it was to be as offensive as possible. And I don't think anyone is saying players are like real terrorists, it's just the implications of playing a terrorist in a very realistic setting ripped from today's headlines, but I guess nothing is off limits anymore, I'm really not surprised.

Postal may not be a mainstream game (it still saw dual page ads in PC Gamer though), but Grand Theft Auto 3 certainly was. And the rest of the series. Not to mention games like Manhunt, Bully, etc.

What implications are you referring to about playing a terrorist in a very realistic setting ripped from today's headlines. Is this the game that's finally gonna truly desensitize us all and make us indifferent about killing other human beings?

Should things be off limits? And if so, who decides what should be off limits?

I remember reading a news item back when Munch's Scream was stolen that when armed men invaded the museum, the people inside 'were afraid that they were terrorists'. As if you're going to any deader when you're shot by a terrorist as opposed to by a, say, ex-yugoslav mercenary working on a made-to-measure robbery for organised crime.

*facepalm*

Terrorists are the boogeymen of the 21st century.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm not sure I get what's so different about this video game violence.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

What implications are you referring to about playing a terrorist in a very realistic setting ripped from today's headlines. Is this the game that's finally gonna truly desensitize us all and make us indifferent about killing other human beings?
Well, the other games already desensitized gamers enough to where it's now acceptable to play a terrorist, which would be unthinkable a decade ago. No, I don't think it'll turn gamers into terrorists, but it does contribute to indifference to other people's suffering and to moral relativism when re-enacting the real murder of real people is acceptable to play for entertainment.

I remember reading a news item back when Munch's Scream was stolen that when armed men invaded the museum, the people inside 'were afraid that they were terrorists'. As if you're going to any deader when you're shot by a terrorist as opposed to by a, say, ex-yugoslav mercenary working on a made-to-measure robbery for organised crime.
I think the point there was if they're just criminals, they don't have any particular reason to kill you if you don't resist, whereas if they're terrorists, they probably are there to kill you. Feel free to use that in you next case.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Well, the other games already desensitized gamers enough to where it's now acceptable to play a terrorist, which would be unthinkable a decade ago.

Never heard of Counter-Strike and Command and Conquer Generals?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

i could be wrong, but your understanding of the concept of moral relativism seems to be way off. it's been a while since college though so maybe i'm remembering it wrong

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I think the point there was if they're just criminals, they don't have any particular reason to kill you if you don't resist...

looks like you never met real ex-USSR or ex-yugo mafia... be happy about it... i would say the chance of some of them killing you, me or any other western world inhabitant is about 100x higher than any terrorist killing you or me...

Yes, but the context is a little different there.

Not much, in CS for example you had Airport level, where you could as a terrorist kill innocent hostages...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Modern Warfare 2 is a fantasy action game designed for intense, realistic game play that mirrors real life conflicts, much like epic, action movies. It is appropriately rated 18 for violent scenes, which means it is intended for those who are 18 and older.

:grin: Wow, I cant believe they're going with an AO rating.

Edited by Gfted1

...and to moral relativism...

So?

...when re-enacting the real murder of real people is acceptable to play for entertainment.

Wait a second, unless I am very much mistaken Modern Warfare 2 is, in fact, a work of fiction and thus this is not a re-enactment of anything.

I think the point there was if they're just criminals, they don't have any particular reason to kill you if you don't resist...

Nope.

Yes, but the context is a little different there.

Not really.

I couldn't care less. It's still just a video game, people.

I agree.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot