I need a new coat

Walsingham

So far my favourite is this one from French Connection. It looks reasonably practical, sober yet stylish.

My previous coat was from FC and lasted tolerably well given the amount of use I put it to. Sadly it is beginning to go threadbare at most trailing edges :(

My greatest concern with FC is that they design for fashion, and hence not short fat blokes.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I suggest compiling various small critter pelts, denim, and sand paper; then welding them to a bath robe. If you prefer, submerge in the darkest stain available.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Id recommend something that doesnt shoutout "sexual predator in the house" as much :*

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Id recommend something that doesnt shoutout "sexual predator in the house" as much :*

Good point. Yeah Wals that coat is a little crazy in the someones gonna get loved tenderly against their will look.

I'd go with something more regular overcoatish that is longer than a regular coat but not tenchcoat long.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Does it reallly say 'sex maniac'? I was going for more 'French Detective'/

Wait. Is that the same thing?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

can't help you walsh... i wear ski coats (usually just the shell) almost exclusively. i have a couple leather affairs, too, one of which i don't really like and the other is dying a rather painful lining death - but they don't get worn very often.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Yes you can, you can be Obersturmbahnf

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Maybe, I think i was thinking about the autobahn. Well, those blasted jerries are all nutters anyway, can never tell how they spell their rubbish language.

He's a Pom, how could he possibly wear anything but tweed? ;(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Length should depend on primary means of locomotion. If you walk and take lots of mass transit, get a long (knee length or so) coat. If you drive, get a shorter one. Long coats are great in foul weather, but can make getting into and out of cars difficult.

Length should depend on primary means of locomotion. If you walk and take lots of mass transit, get a long (knee length or so) coat. If you drive, get a shorter one. Long coats are great in foul weather, but can make getting into and out of cars difficult.

Finally some sensible advice. :ermm: Yes, I walk almost everywhere* and will aim for a longer coat. My main regret is that I no-longer possess my KGB officer's greatcoat which I used to own many years ago. The very thing for brisk weather, and no I think about it, ideally cut for the ever so portly. Sadly I fear it would be too outlandish a mode of dress for work or even going about town.

*Hence, you will recall my rant about the inadequacy of the crotch in fashionable trousers.

-Elwood Blues

*Hence, you will recall my rant about the inadequacy of the crotch in fashionable trousers.

I went and read it and now I have uncomfortable picture of you skin-tight jeans.

Uncomfortable... in my pants! High five!

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I keep two long coats.

One is a traditional khaki-colored trenchcoat. This is for rainy conditions-- throw on a nice wool cap and you can get through light rain just fine without an umbrella. It has a button-in liner for seasonal variations, but it's still not warm enough for true wintertime conditions.

The other is an dark grey (nearly black) wool topcoat. This is my primary wintertime outerwear. Paired with a nice thick scarf, it's as warm as a ski parka (with the bonus of being knee-length) and infinitely more fashionable.

The cut of the coat is mostly a stylistic choice, although the single- v. double-breasted choice is important. Double-breasted coats will be warmer and more weatherproof. But they can also exacerbate the 'portly frame' issues, making you look wider across the middle. And a longish scarf, if positioned correctly, can address the problem of wind/rain blowing in between the buttons on a single-breaster.

Edited by Enoch

in my pants!

harvey_birdman.JPG

Ha-ha! I see what you did there.

Apparently being hung like a donkey is a problem.

I wouldn't know about that. But I do know that being hung at all seems to be a problem. It did occur to me that you're supposed to wear them low slung around your hips, but I saw a man trying to run for a train wearing them like that. It was entirely hilarious.

I have been investigating the russian coat option, and it works out to about 100 pounds, including shipping, but I can't help feeling I'm too old for such nonsense. i.e. I'm not a student or professor.

EDIT: I found these that I like, but the top one is

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues