Graphic Glitches

CoM_Solaufein

My new ATI 5870 card is showing glitches. I can see little white spots and sometimes little red spots when I do video playback or playing games. At first I thought it may be an Windows XP thing since at that time there wasn't really any support for it driver wise. Now that I have Windows 7 I see it still exists. Some times it disappears when I do ALT TAB and go back to the program again.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

My last card, a 1950 pro developed a problem with overheating vram, it manifested as random bits of texture appearing in games, bits of texture flying about making kind of texture rain and eventually shutting the card down and forcing me to restart.

ATiTool has a thing that helps detect overheating, try that.

Its at 32 C which is nothing compared to the 50 C that my OC over clocked 3870's run on my other computer. It runs worse in Win 7. The CCC crashes constantly, I get lines across my screen. I'm yanking this piece of **** out and returning it. I know better to buy anything that is a first release. I see good reviews on the card, sure would be nice if I bought one that actually worked.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

I should have just went with my first choice that being the 4890. There's nothing DX11 right now so it wouldn't have been a big deal.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

My last card, a 1950 pro developed a problem with overheating vram, it manifested as random bits of texture appearing in games, bits of texture flying about making kind of texture rain and eventually shutting the card down and forcing me to restart.

ATiTool has a thing that helps detect overheating, try that.

That is a neat tool. It didn't come up with anything wrong with the card. :thumbsup:

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Can you switch cards when you return it and get the extra money back? :thumbsup:

I don't know. I already requested a replacement.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Another simple test would be to open up the side of your case and blow a desk fan into it and see if problems persist.

That is quite possibly the stupidest idea ever. You're not going to cool chips with a desk fan.

Negative. My first thought was worse idea.

Ice-cubes.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Another simple test would be to open up the side of your case and blow a desk fan into it and see if problems persist.

That is quite possibly the stupidest idea ever. You're not going to cool chips with a desk fan.

Actually if there is poor airflow through the case then opening it up and using a desk fan can cool it quite a bit. Since overheating doesn't seem to be the problem though it would be kind of pointless.

I hope the new one works out for you Lucian.

In all of the years that I have been assembling my own computers, I never had bought any defect hardware until now. Seeing this is the first time that I am using a Sapphire product, this casts a black eye on them and their quality. I broswed the reviews at Newegg and I see I'm not the only one who has had a problem like mine. I'll get a replacement but I doubt I'll buy one of their cards again. The replacement better work otherwise I'll take my money back and buy a card from a different manufacturer.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

I have a Sapphire 4850 with their custom cooler and it works super special awesomely so far, also positive experiences with Asus and Msi. The only card that died on me was a Gigabyte 7600GT with passive cooling.

If you're getting stuff from Newegg, I've heard good things about EVGA cards.

Edited by Purkake

I've used Diamond and MSI cards and haven't had any problems from them. Diamond I have used mostly throughout my computer building years. MSI I tried when I bought two cards for Crossfire. They're pretty good.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

I've had a Diamond S3 Virge DX and Diamond Riva128 (the first ever mainstream nVidia chip!) and two Diamond TNT2s before the company sort of went under. Leadtek GF3 Ti200, Sparkle GF4 Ti4200 also still alive, but since then I've had a pretty rotten run, Radeon 9800 Pro died, Gainward GeForce 7900GT died, HIS X1950XT fan crapped out, 8800GT ok now with a 3rd party cooler.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm using an XFX 5850 and I've been noticing some odd glitches as well. Most noticeable is texture flickering in Borderlands, Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, and especially in Left 4 Dead. It's pretty annoying. The card runs around 60C at load, which is high but I don't think it's necessarily high enough to cause crazy stuff like this. I'm assuming it's just poor drivers at the moment. I'm running Windows 7 as well. No crashes yet, though.

Matthew Rorie

I'm using an XFX 5850 and I've been noticing some odd glitches as well. Most noticeable is texture flickering in Borderlands, Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, and especially in Left 4 Dead. It's pretty annoying. The card runs around 60C at load, which is high but I don't think it's necessarily high enough to cause crazy stuff like this. I'm assuming it's just poor drivers at the moment. I'm running Windows 7 as well. No crashes yet, though.

That's how it started when my Radeon 1950 Pro ended up dying. I think it was the RAM overheating, you only see the GPU's temperature. Sometimes the heatsink isn't even connected to the RAM.

Edited by Purkake

That's how it started when my Radeon 1950 Pro ended up dying. I think it was the RAM overheating, you only see the GPU's temperature. Sometimes the heatsink isn't even connected to the RAM.

That could be the case. I'll send in the registration card for the extra warranty length, take a few screenshots of the corruption, and if the next major driver release doesn't take care of it I'll RMA it.

It's difficult to tell with these new Radeons because they have the sleeves that run all the way up and down the card. There's no way to see the RAM at all.

Matthew Rorie

If you RMA it and got it from Newegg, looks like it will be a while get it. A lot of their 5000 series ATI cards are out of stock. Looks like I'll be waiting for my replacement for a while. :o

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG