Modern Literature.. or Wheel of Time book 12 arriving..

Raithe

Now for those of you who aren't total 21st century purely electronic geeks...

The new book from the Wheel of Time goes public in just a couple of days, and I ran across an advance review of The Gathering Storm at Tor..

Personally it did kind of amuse me some..

So, what do I mean by

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Lol, hysterical review, especially the throwing the book part. I for one am interested in the book, god knows Ive got around a decade invested in the series. Book 11 is still sitting on my shelf unread simply because I havent had the energy to try to reaquaint myself with the story after a long layoff.

BTW, I thought his widow was finishing the series.

Lol, hysterical review, especially the throwing the book part. I for one am interested in the book, god knows Ive got around a decade invested in the series. Book 11 is still sitting on my shelf unread simply because I havent had the energy to try to reaquaint myself with the story after a long layoff.

Book 11 is as good as couple of the first books. It almost made me forgive him for book 10.

BTW, I thought his widow was finishing the series.

The widow hand picked Brandon Sanderson to finish the series.

His Mistborn trilogy is quite good and worth a read.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

His widow was the editor for all the books he wrote, and she's continued in her role as editor for the final books.

Also, during the final few months of his illness, Jordan sat down (or at least, propped himself up in bed) to tell the story to his friends and family (who also recorded it) plus he was one of those authors who built up a seriously extensive collection of databases of characters, plots, subplots, arcs, and general notes...

...final books.

Book 12 isnt the last in the series? Do you know how many in total are planned?

Book 12(I think it currently divided in to two) is the final book, but he was planning on telling other stories as well.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The new author did an extensive blog on it..

Apparently by the time he had about 2/3 of the plot, sub-plots, character arcs and such done he'd reached the point of 750,000 words.

Which is a bit silly for a single book. So they sat down, hashed it out, and are going to be releasing 3 books, the idea is one a year. Starting with "The Gathering Storm", followed by "Towers of Midnight", and the final book "A Memory of Light".

Edited by Raithe

I'm amazed anybody would cry over the Wheel of Time.

Other than crying if forced to read all 12 books.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

There are some areas that draw out too long... but I have to say, it's infinitely better then Lord of the Rings..

Although I'm one of those people who admire the sheer technical aspects of Tolkien's work (while remembering he wrote it all purely as someplace to hang his created language of "Elven") and applauding it's effect on the fantasy genre.. while thinking that as a fictional set of books to read was fairly fracking appaling. Impecabbly detailed, crafted with extreme attention.. but a good read? Eh..that not so much.

Whereas I found the Wheel of Time had an awful lot of soul and characters you can really get interested in. Even in the drawn out sections, and some of the lesser books, I still had to turn pages and go onto the next book just to see what happens and how it all evolves...

I didn't know about this. Excellent news.

I absolutely hated the book that didn't have Mat in it... I think it was book 7 or 8. Mat's plotlines were the only thing that saved books 9 & 10 for me... Mat's probably the only major male character that doesn't turn into a whining pussie. I had a really hard time not skipping the plotlines of most of the girls in the book. Jordan really turned an epic (books 1-5) into the fantasy version of Dawson's Creek.

I was really surprised & glad that there were actually things happening in book 11 & the most tedious plotline in the entire series wrapped up.

There are some areas that draw out too long... but I have to say, it's infinitely better then Lord of the Rings..

That's a huge can of worms you're opening, mate...

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

That's a huge can of worms you're opening, mate...

What's a forum post without there being a huge can of worms? ;)

Actually, I remember an interview with Jordan where he got asked about why Matt wasn't in that book, his reply was something along the lines of "A bloody wall fell on him! I didn't really expect people to find paragraphs of Matt wrapped in bandages, in bed, doing nothing beyond healing that interesting...."

I'll read it.... later. I'm with Hurlie, it's hard to get back into that one after a long layoff.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

eh Matt annoyed the hell outta me for the first couple of books - he was pretty much Gollum

after that though he got pretty badass

oh and one other thing - the romances in WoT are bloody terrible

Elayne re: Rand = i only met him once briefly but zomg sooo in love

Perrin re: Faile = this chick annoys the crap outta me, but oh noes she walked into a trap - must save her coz i love her now!

etc ;)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

eh Matt annoyed the hell outta me for the first couple of books - he was pretty much Gollum

after that though he got pretty badass

oh and one other thing - the romances in WoT are bloody terrible

Elayne re: Rand = i only met him once briefly but zomg sooo in love

Perrin re: Faile = this chick annoys the crap outta me, but oh noes she walked into a trap - must save her coz i love her now!

etc ;)

Heh, Jordan eventually turns all men into pussies under the thumbs of the girls... it even happened to Juilin (sp?) & Bayle Domon, lulz. The whole shtick between Tuon & Mat was brilliantly written, though.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Mat and Rand(post book 7) are the only reason I read the series. Never bought any of the books though.

Which book ended with the cleaning of the Shadar Logoth? I think I'm stuck somewhere around there. I'll probably pick them up and reacquaint myself with the series once I'm done with the vastly more awesome Malazan Book of the Fallen series. And perhaps after Bakker, Martin, new LeGuins, Donaldson...might be a while.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Nothing earth-shattering, but I enjoyed the expansiveness of the stories when I was in high school and with lots of time. I think I endured up to book 9 or so, but something like 6-9 were total dross. Good to see if they've picked up again, though I probably dont remember enough of it now to pick it up again.

That's one working theory... As I've said, I find the technical side of it good, I can appreciate the details and the effort Tolkien spent in building up the world, the history, the characters.... But that doesn't make it a good "read". There aren't that many characters that really grab you and make you root for them, and it does tend to bury you in irrelevant details that don't really have anything to do with the story... But I'm willing to admit thats just how I feel when I've read it..

That and the minor annoying things.. like if the Eagles were smart enough to rescue Gandalf.. and were capable of flying into Mordor to rescue Sam and Frodo.. why no-one thought to put the one ring in a packet, tie it to an Eagle's leg and say "hey, fly into mordor and drop this off in Mt.Doom would ya?" :(

Let's not turn this into a love/hate LotR flamefest, ok?

Books 7-10 are pretty bad at places, but Knife of Dreams really does bring it back and apparently the Gathering Storm is supposed to be super special awesome. If anyone wants to catch up, just get the audio books. You can do other stuff while listening to them and the narrators are really good.