Fable III to include microtransactions

Syraxis

Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux isn't just pushing the curve on Xbox 360 with now-confirmed Project Natal support in Fable 3; during his speech at the annual BAFTA gathering, the legendary designer revealed his intent to integrate an "in-game shop" within the game world, enabling players to purchase DLC without disrupting the game experience (i.e. exiting to the Xbox Live Marketplace). In a report on the presentation, That VideoGame Blog noted that Molyneux had suggested special weapons, for example, could be sold for about

So, once I paid for the game, it forces me to pay more just to get through?

How Microsoft-ish.

Well the idea would appear to be that you are paying for additional content from within the game vs some other way.

The additional content would have to be paid for either way, whether in game or out.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

^ In-game DLC, signposting optional stuff that looks heavily like progressing in the game is pretty rare.

Although obvious once you think about it. In future games publishers will own your game - you'll have to buy it online, register it online, be online to play it and buy stuff online from within the game. In effect, you'll only rent this virutal product.

I'm going back to hex-based wargames on a board with little minis.

sonsofgygax.JPG

But will it use Natal? That's the real question.

@Monte Carlo: Welcome to today, you haven't owned your games for a while now, not on the PC, at least. Businesses will do what they can to make money, if people are willing to buy it, what's the problem?

Edited by Purkake

But will it use Natal? That's the real question.

"Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux isn't just pushing the curve on Xbox 360 with now-confirmed Project Natal support in Fable 3..."

^ Just failed my Geek Lore check, what's Natal, apart from a S. African province?

Its the Xbox 260 "Controler Free Gaming" periphrial.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

...you haven't owned your games for a while now, not on the PC, at least.

That's not clear as your view is, I'm guessing, based on the EULA - something that is legally gray.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It sounds to me like they're charging to go to places you otherwise would have to work through in the game. Like if Bioware offered to bring your character to the Underdark in BG2 for a few bucks. You'd get there even if you didn't pay but it eliminates the hassle of, you know, playing the game. That is assuming that the areas in question aren't DLC. It's not entirely clear from the quote.

If they aren't, that tells us 3 things about Molyneux and Fable 3, things that we should already know, really.

1. The narrative is an optional framing device for the game experience. Fable 3 is either sandbox or episodic in its setup.

2. The game design abhors difficulty in all its forms (duh)

3. Giving players instant gratification is important.

I'd wager that these are the reasons why Fable is the most popular RPG franchise ever created (I think?) but then, I'm also pretty sure the National Enquirer gets better circulation than the Economist.

Thinking about it, it could be a pretty cool way of playing a game and it really lends itself to RPGs.

Think of it as the core game being the rulebooks of a RPG and all the DLC as modules / splatbooks. If a game was awesome enough, and the developers committed to it long-term, then it might be groovy.

sonsofgygax.JPG

There's nothing cool and groovy about having that bull**** enforced on a singleplayer game.

QFT

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

So, once I paid for the game, it forces me to pay more just to get through?

How Microsoft-ish.

It's an expansion. You pay for it in game, and now have a new area with a new quest. Like Tales of the Sword Coast, only you'd pay for it and d/l it while in the game.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.