Dragon Age

Gorth

Isn;'t it time for a lock?

I concur however I suggest any subsequent threads actually be about the game quality/features/story/etc...instead of this abortion.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I don't think a demo tells you how good an 80 hour game is at all. Oblivion was great for the first 8 hours. Assassin's Creed was good for the first act. Risen was great until it became a grind.
And I don't think you have thought that through. Oblivion is the same whether you play 2 hours or 200, the game doesn't change and you get what's advertised - you get bored, but nothing the developers can do can change that. A good demo gives you a good feel of how the game plays. This is 100% subjective and no review can substitute that.

your entertainment dollar or euro is extreme flexible. other games. movie, sporting events, naked mud-wrestling... whatever. take your entrainment dollar and spend elsewhere. available alternatives destroy notion o' force... is a pretty fundamental concept. and fact that this is a luxury item pretty much makes "force" a ridiculous notion. Gromnir were forced into a blind purchase of 2 Broadway show tickets 'cause the alternative were not seeing the show? HA!
What the hell man? Isn't that what I said? The options you are left with are to purchase blindly, or not purchase at all. I'm not saying that automatically grants the right to download the game, or that EA is putting a gun to anyone's head. You are forced into that in the sense that no other options exist.

Also, when they make 80-hour long plays, I'll demand they make a demo, too.

no force. maybe you claim that you were "forced" to buy watermelon blind 'cause they not allow you to demo it before purchase? you keep claiming force, but is not a single reasonable person that would claim that you were forced to purchase. if available alternatives exist, then there is no force. is also arguable, from economic pov, that force is impossible for luxury items. is pretty common for entertainment to be purchased "blind". HA! you not wanna rely on waiting and reading reviews, or playing on acquaintance's computer before purchase? that makes you lazy... or stoopid. not make force. again, you maybe use "force" for effect, but it simply not work. numbers not recognize either/or fallacy any better than he recognizes straw man.

*snort*

and what the hell does 80 hours have to do with anything? if play were longer you would expect to sit maybe through first act and then have option to pay? hey, maybe for season tickets for the Chicago Bears, Gromnir can get first 4 games as sorta a demo for season... then pay for rest if Bears is playing well. am not sure what you mean by a demo for play.

in any event, is no force, so your rationalization is weak.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So any news on the Half-Naked Plant Lady, Maria?

:)

I don't have the game.

I called Fry's and asked if they had Dragon Age: Origns CE for the PC. The lady said 'yes.'

I drove over, the lady said 'I mean tomorrow. Come back tomorrow at 8am.'

"Are you sure you have the Collector's Edition?" I ask.

"Yes, we have 60 copies!" she replies, while showing me a picture of the regular edition.

"The Collector's Edition?"

"60 copies!"

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

So any news on the Half-Naked Plant Lady, Maria?

:)

I don't have the game.

I called Fry's and asked if they had Dragon Age: Origns CE for the PC. The lady said 'yes.'

I drove over, the lady said 'I mean tomorrow. Come back tomorrow at 8am.'

"Are you sure you have the Collector's Edition?" I ask.

"Yes, we have 60 copies!" she replies, while showing me a picture of the regular edition.

"The Collector's Edition?"

"60 copies!"

sounds familiar... and fry's is worse than most. some joker who is typical selling stereo equipment is suddenly working in games department for the day. whatever it says on the computer screen in front of him is gospel... is why we is general patient with such folks. chances are they is never gonna own their own house. getting chewed out by Gromnir would be overkill.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

~boring~
I'm going to throw this post right in your face next time you accuse me of going off on a tangent about semantics, Grommy. The watermelon comparison is silly, even for you. Especially considering that if you want you can sample the fruit before buying it!

So drop the "force" from the arguments. You are still left only with those two options.

and what the hell does 80 hours have to do with anything? if play were longer you would expect to sit maybe through first act and then have option to pay? hey, maybe for season tickets for the Chicago Bears, Gromnir can get first 4 games as sorta a demo for season... then pay for rest if Bears is playing well. am not sure what you mean by a demo for play.
I was just following in on the idiocy of comparing a Broadway play to a videogame. You figure out the rest man, I don't share your enthusiasm for the absurd.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

~boring~
I'm going to throw this post right in your face next time you accuse me of going off on a tangent about semantics, Grommy. The watermelon comparison is silly, even for you. Especially considering that if you want you can sample the fruit before buying it!

So drop the "force" from the arguments. You are still left only with those two options.

I was just following in on the idiocy of comparing a Broadway play to a videogame. You figure out the rest man, I don't share your enthusiasm for the absurd.

Well you know, you could always research your purchase before buying it thus you aren't blind. You can look for reviews, or talk to people you know who have bought the game. You never need to buy blind there are always options. Once you have researched the game you can make an educated guess about if you would like it or not and then choose to spend your money on it or not. Buying blind is a foolish thing to do as all you need to be is a little patient, it isn't like video games are a necessity you can always choose to buy it another day.

Geez, it's a video game. You are paying $30-$60 for it, it's not like buying a house. Some times you get good ones, some times you get bad ones. That's life, live with it. Some times I go to a restaurant and get a bad meal, I don't stiff the waiter afterwards, I just don't go to that restaurant again.

~boring~

actually, you started the absurdity.... is how we ended up with your either/or fallacy. am uncertain why you not abandon the "force" silliness. is not either/or as there is a multitude of options available options competing for your entertainment dollar. is not only two choices and there is no force. watermelon is no more ridiculous. is a blind purchase. you not know if you is gonna get a good or bad watermelon 'til you cut into it and take a bite. damned grocer is forcing a blind choice on you... evil bastards. the real difference is that only person who genuine thinks that the game purchase (sans demo) is a blind purchase is numbers. the game purchase is neither forced nor blind.

"Well you know, you could always research your purchase before buying it thus you aren't blind."

numerous people has made the same comment, but number ignores. is vol kinda obtuse.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

is not either/or as there is a multitude of options available options competing for your entertainment dollar.
You brought entertainment in general to a discussion of DA in particular. When talking about DA, your only options are to purchase without knowing or not purchasing. Please outline any other options that apply to DA, that I haven't listed.

is not only two choices and there is no force.
As far as DA is concerned, it is.

you not know if you is gonna get a good or bad watermelon 'til you cut into it and take a bite.
A Watermelon costs a fraction of what a game costs and there is no way of knowing beforehand if it's going to be good or not.

the real difference is that only person who genuine thinks that the game purchase (sans demo) is a blind purchase is numbers. the game purchase is neither forced nor blind.
You are actually supposed to substantiate your claims, not just repeat them. Does that usually work in court?

"Well you know, you could always research your purchase before buying it thus you aren't blind."

numerous people has made the same comment, but number ignores. is vol kinda obtuse.

How am I supposed to research my purchase? Using your own example, that's like asking the grocer whether I'm going to like the watermelon.

Too easy, Grom!

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

A Watermelon costs a fraction of what a game costs and there is no way of knowing beforehand if it's going to be good or not.

I'm going to have to disagree. There's plenty of footage of the game, there's the previous history of games that play similar, in addition to reviews and word of mouth testimonials. It is not as if someone is just going in and picking a box at random off the shelf. And even if you were, you'd still be able to get SOME idea of the game just by reading the back of the box and looking at the pictures.

Is this going to give anyone 100% certainty that a game is or is not going to "be good" (I'm assuming your talking from a micro-level, subjective personal point of view)? Of course not. But neither would a demo. Would a demo give more information? Sure, but the question there is: Is it worth it?

You may be dealing with imperfect information (since you'll never know until you try it), but it's definitely not a complete absence of information.

Edited by alanschu

Sure, but the question there is: Is it worth it?
We've been over this. We don't know and discussing it further is pointless.

You may be dealing with imperfect information (since you'll never know until you try it), but it's definitely not a complete absence of information.
Were you following the discussion? Aside from the cost issue, the impossibility to know whether a watermelon will be good beforehand is why the example is so absurd. You cannot demo a watermelon without making it unfit for sale but that is not the case with a game. Comprende?

My comments were less directed to the watermelon discussion, but the "either/or" discussion for Dragon Age, and whether or not the game player will know if it is good or not prior to purchasing it.

Edited by alanschu

Hey guys

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

My comments were less directed to the watermelon discussion, but the "either/or" discussion for Dragon Age, and whether or not the game player will know if it is good or not prior to purchasing it.
Fine. For you, purchasing a game you haven't played, relying on hearsay and marketing to form an opinion isn't making a blind purchase. For me, it is. Maybe you have heaps of cash to spare and wasting $50 is no biggie.

Say. Would you guys buy your running shoes without trying them on first, just asking the salesman if they are any good? Would you purchase your shirts just by the impression you first get when seeing them on the coat hanger? A perfume? A car? Etc.

Edited by 213374U

So, anyone who ordered from Amazon received shipping confirmation yet? I paid for the regular copy with release-date shipping (did not want to wait until the middle of the month for CE to arrive), and I haven't gotten my confirmation yet. My order states that it's shipping soon, though.