Dragon Age

Gorth

How big is pre-loading (or downloading) guys? It woudl be cheaper than retail for me but I probably can't handle the bandwidth.

I don't know how big directly, but the game does recommend like 20 GB of HD space.

Though I don't know how many DVDs the retail game ships on, so it could be that it's compressed, or they accounted for save game space or something.

How big is pre-loading (or downloading) guys? It woudl be cheaper than retail for me but I probably can't handle the bandwidth.

The D2D pre-load is 7.85GB.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

Do you mean that the DLC will eventually be combined into an on-disc expansion, or that there will be a major expansion of the game that will be delivered through DLC?

I am sure the first is true, but I was refering to the second. There is a specific DLC team, and they plan on making an expansion as well as regular adventures.

Awesome with respect to the first! :thumbsup: I like the sound of the DLC, but I am not going to buy it straight away, because of the need for online activation (which the main game doesn't need), but if it comes out on a disc as a compilation, I will be able to get it eventually.

As to the second, that's all good, so long as they also release the expansion on a disc. The more content for a good game (and this sure looks to be great) the better! :down:

My D2D pre-load only took about 90minutes at home. The file was around 7-8 gigs. Of course once I install it, it'll chunkify like a Latina hitting menopause (i.e. 20 gigs).

What kind of DRM system does D2D use on Dragon Age? I ask, because if they used some sort of "burn once" or "copy once" DRM, that would allow me to copy/burn the downloaded game to one disc for archival than I would be interested in buying it from them. If on the other hand, they require online activation each time I want to install the game, than I will just purchase the disc version.

My D2D pre-load only took about 90minutes at home. The file was around 7-8 gigs. Of course once I install it, it'll chunkify like a Latina hitting menopause (i.e. 20 gigs).

What kind of DRM system does D2D use on Dragon Age? I ask, because if they used some sort of "burn once" or "copy once" DRM, that would allow me to copy/burn the downloaded game to one disc for archival than I would be interested in buying it from them. If on the other hand, they require online activation each time I want to install the game, than I will just purchase the disc version.

I don't believe the DRM is so much implicit in the D2D system, but rather dependent on the publisher for the game itself. I must've downloaded at least a dozen games from D2D and so most of the time I just backup the installer (which is equivalent to the disc). On the other hand, the last D2D game I uninstalled (yesterday, in fact, to free up some space for DA) was Mass Effect, and upon uninstalling it notified me that Electronic Arts had "unlocked" it so I could now install it on other machines - i.e. implying that I couldn't do so before.

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

This link has information about the digital download copies' DRM - the retail version will only have a disc-check. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm actually surprised they let you run it on as many as 5 machines at once within a 24 hour period.

Home computer, laptop for commuting, work computer... OK, what are the other two I need? :)

Oh, ok, Boss is feeling generous, gets me new computers at work, home and a new laptop too. See, I can't play it on all my computers during that 24h period, I'm getting screwed by draconian drm.

:x

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm actually surprised they let you run it on as many as 5 machines at once within a 24 hour period.

Yes, that is somewhat surprising indeed. Ultimately, though, I don't buy any entertainment software where I still rely on external checks for installation or usage of said games, regardless of the number of activations they offer. My reason for this is that companies go bankrupt, or change their business strategies (see Microsoft, Yahoo and Walmart and their digital music as examples) and shut down old activation servers, etcetera, etcetera - I don't want to rely on something that might not be there in 10-15 years when I want to replay the game (yes, I actually do that with great games, for example, I have replayed Dark Sun: Shattered Lands recently - the company which made it no longer exists, despite having been strong in the field of CRPGs at the time).

Luckily, Dragon Age also comes on discs (I take good care of my discs), so I can just purchase that version and not worry about any activations. :)

That said, digital downloading would be a convenient delivery method for me if they allowed some sort of 'burn once' or 'copy once' feature that would enable me to archive it to (at least) one medium and then install it from that medium just like a normal disc version would - without online activation. It would essentially save a trip to the store, but it might be too much hassle for the publishers to develop something like the 'burn once' or 'copy once' feature for what would be a relatively minor increase in customer convenience. The one place where it would be useful would be for DLC, but as Maria has confirmed, even that is likely to come out on discs eventually, so all is good. :x

I know Lajciak, it wasn't commentary that you shouldn't care about the DRM because it has lots of potential activations or what have you. You have your DRM preferences and that is that. I didn't mean to make a commentary about them.

It was purely a comment of surprise at the online DRM.

Fair enough - I do agree that the number of simultanous possible online activations is now more than reasonable for those that don't mind the reliance on external servers and the potential of future inability to use the software that is my primary concern with DRM. As you pointed out, all of us have some preferences and they may not place the same priorities on the same things.

Regarding piracy, a proper PC release was released last night. Which makes whatever DRM was used one of the least effective in history. (And no, I havent downloaded it, I think Bioware are very deserving of my money.)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Regarding piracy, a proper PC release was released last night. Which makes whatever DRM was used one of the least effective in history. (And no, I havent downloaded it, I think Bioware are very deserving of my money.)

Meh, I still have to wait three days for my pre ordered Dragon Age. :)

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

^ Yes, UK release 6th November, the people I pre-ordered from keep sending me emails about the status of my order.

I'll get it Friday morning, will be busy all day at work and will probably get around to installing it Saturday.

As for piracy, it's stealing and I've never done it. I'm feeling virtuous now.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Isn't that kind of par for the course?

It's too bad and hopefully it doesn't affect early sales in a significant way.

It's too bad and hopefully it doesn't affect early sales in a significant way.
I doubt it will.

Still, I think that releasing a demo would help lower the appeal of warez releases.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Still, I think that releasing a demo would help lower the appeal of warez releases.

QFT.

I never quite found out why they don't make demos or put them out a month or more after game release. It's like they want people to try warez and then hope they'll buy it.

1.13 killed off Ja2.