Dragon Age

Gorth

might be a good buy if microsoft actually goes through with that rumored purchase (i consider this extremely unlikely).

i'd recommend selling after the bump though, it wont last more than a few months i'd wager.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I am betting on the success of this game and just bought into EA on Wednesday. May it bring me and the rest of the people who invested many profits. :(

Is anybody else considering investing into EA (the stock symbol is ERTS) before the game is released?

now that you're a stockholder how do you feel about EA using draconian DRM schemes to help you see a return on your investment?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I am betting on the success of this game and just bought into EA on Wednesday. May it bring me and the rest of the people who invested many profits. :(

Is anybody else considering investing into EA (the stock symbol is ERTS) before the game is released?

now that you're a stockholder how do you feel about EA using draconian DRM schemes to help you see a return on your investment?

zing indeed, though really is there any evidence showing that drm makes games more profitable? that seems like what they are hoping for but i cant imagine it being true

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

might be a good buy if microsoft actually goes through with that rumored purchase (i consider this extremely unlikely).

Microsoft has outright denied the rumor (rather than the standard 'no comment' when it might be in the offing), so I doubt that it will purchase EA and am not counting on it.

i'd recommend selling after the bump though, it wont last more than a few months i'd wager.

I agree. I intend on selling after the bump from Dragon Age and the bump from earnings is received (I am betting that there will be a bump - I could also be wrong and lose money... investing is a risky business, but I am tolerant of risk). The earnings report is coming in early November, so I am hoping for a combined Dragon Age/Earnings boost to the stock.

As a stockholder, I remain opposed to draconian DRM and believe that it would decrease my return on investment by generating bad publicity yet failing to curb piracy.In fact, had EA kept its previous DDRM policies, I would have been extremely skeptical in entrusting my money to them, because it would be evidence that they cannot learn from their mistakes and punish their customers. Luckily, EA has reversed course on DDRM after its major fiascos and Dragon Age will not be subjected to that anti-feature and it seems neither will other games (the new Sims, I believe also does not have DDRM). As a gamer, of course, I am also opposed to draconian DRM, so the two dovetail nicely together.

zing indeed, though really is there any evidence showing that drm makes games more profitable? that seems like what they are hoping for but i cant imagine it being true

Neither can I imagine how draconian could possibly help make games more profitable. It has been proven to be utterly ineffective at stopping piracy by various quasi-professional groups. It can stop casual piracy of people copying their disk and passing it on, but it can do that no better than mundane copy protection - ordinary people can bypass neither, whereas quasi-professional groups can bypass both. I believe the negative press from draconian DRM would have led to lower profits and am glad that EA has abandoned it.

Edited by Magister Lajciak

Cool. Thask you. I was just curious if having something to gain or lose financially based on how many copies a company's games sell changed one's views on hardcore drm.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If BioWare want to continue creating their game worlds without exterior aid in the narrative department, they ought to screen The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, the original Star Wars films, Big Trouble in Little China. There's a bright period in popular culture's history when some smart people figured out that you can expand these fictions through suggestion alone, that mystery and ambiguity aren't the enemy. You really don't have to fill in all the holes, or reduce the work until it's a size where all the holes can be filled.

I enjoyed your post, and this bit intrigued me. Would you mind elaborating / expanding on it a little?

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

i hope they never explain who he is outright. there is no way it could be as cool as the things i imagine in my head.

my current theory is that g-man is satan himself, protecting his investment in humanity from the aliens.

(theory is nonsense)

Edited by entrerix

Remember how it's never outright stated who/what the G-Man is, but is constantly hinted at? Makes up half the fun of Half-Life.

Perhaps, but hardly true of the movies quoted - for example Star Wars is one of the most obsessively detailed settings ever and is all the duller for it. We know exactly who Indiana Jones is (OK, elaborated over a lengthy story arc) and so on.

Big Trouble in Little China is an old favourite of mine, though, and it is laden with ambiguity. In fact, Kurt Russell's character is an everyman wanderer type.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Remember how it's never outright stated who/what the G-Man is, but is constantly hinted at? Makes up half the fun of Half-Life.

What, you didn't know? He's actually "The Middleman" of the time... ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Perhaps, but hardly true of the movies quoted - for example Star Wars is one of the most obsessively detailed settings ever and is all the duller for it. We know exactly who Indiana Jones is (OK, elaborated over a lengthy story arc) and so on.

Big Trouble in Little China is an old favourite of mine, though, and it is laden with ambiguity. In fact, Kurt Russell's character is an everyman wanderer type.

-If it isn't true for movies, then why do you say that SW is dull because it isn't ambiguous?

-SW's ambiguity lies(lied) in the background story

-Ij (Ijc, Iij, what?) mentioned specifically Temple of Doom, so it's a safe bet he didn't mean Jones' persona

And Star Wars only became exceptionally detailed _after_ the original trilogy.

A lot of the background universe was fuzzy, no real details on what the Republic had been, for years fans thought the "clone war" had the clones as the evil bad guys fighting against the Republic..

Oh, and Harrison Ford used to get really irritated with Lucas for not giving details on how he was meant to fly the Millenium Falcon.. ;) Apparently being told "just press random buttons and look like you know what you're doing" wasn't focused enough since he had to repeat it all any time he was in a scene in the pilots seat.. Of course, Lucas is happy making fun of himself for basically only using "Bigger" "Faster" or "More action" as his means of directing.. he's really a visual editing director type.

Edited by Raithe

Of course, Lucas is happy making fun of himself for basically only using "Bigger" "Faster" or "More action" as his means of directing.. he's really a visual editing director type.

He should have been more specific when he told Hayden Christensen: "Act!" ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's wishy washy for us. Any numbers that get tossed out by one side are usually dismissed by the other side.

I'd be surprised if the companies didn't have some sort of numbers that conclude it's worth it. It still costs money to implement a DRM, and if they didn't think it worked on some level, I'm skeptical they'd keep investing in it.

The thing that can be said for Hayden.. he had the annoying kid from Phantom Menace beat.. Now there was a reason for the nickname of "Manaquin Skywalker"

Of course, Lucas is happy making fun of himself for basically only using "Bigger" "Faster" or "More action" as his means of directing.. he's really a visual editing director type.

Before I never understood why everyone hated those movies. Then saw them with the original dub.

Long live the pro dubbing actors! \o/

Before I never understood why everyone hated those movies. Then saw them with the original dub.

Long live the pro dubbing actors! \o/

If you want the really bizzare (and for a further trip away from the dragon age subject) .. the Star Wars Revenge of the Sith sold in Hong Kong.. with the english subtitles on the dubbed chinese track.. and it's just.. ;)