Dragon Age

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Tried to download that character generator thing the other day. Told me that the download would take 4 hours. I think I'll pass and wait for the game :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Why are people making such a big deal about the Maxim picture tough? I've witnessed others on avrious forums almost literally have a spazzy heart attack over them.

OMFG *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Tried to download that character generator thing the other day. Told me that the download would take 4 hours.

Really?! Wow... :)

It took me 20 minutes to download. I get the feel that Gorth's interweb connection is not l33t.

I'm pretty sure they only used those models for the ashes trailer, their in game look is quite different.

I'm tickled that Leliana was apparently based on a fetish/burlesque performer. She even dances to a Marilyn Manson song.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

And apparently Russia is huge.
One day I'll tell you about this game where Trotsky took power in the USSR...

This reminds me of the eternal whining over what a game is supposed to be. Hard, fun, easy, fun, good story, shiny, realistic, a game, thought provoking, mindless fun, etc. If I'd be a game dev, I'd have to ignore every media that has anything to say about my games or go insane, just because people can't A) play something that is more in line with what they want B) judge a game for what it wants to be instead of what they want it to be.
Perhaps you could afford the luxury of ignoring the media, but the publisher can't. And you can't ignore the publisher...

Yes, you did. It's just that the good gameplay in Torment wasn't the combat, it was the quest solving and finding out about your past. The problem is that as for almost everyone gameplay is combat, no one actually noticed they were still playing a game when not fighting.
Exactly. I'm surprised that Purkake had to resort to Torment when point-and-click adventures are a much better example of games with no combat whatsoever and a strong focus on story. Still, those games have their own gameplay mechanics, and those must be good enough so that puzzles are fun to solve.

Tomorrow Dragon Age: Journeys, a free-to-play, turn-based RPG based on the Dragon Age IP comes out at 12 PST. Should be interesting.
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks good.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It's good that Bioware used great looking models as inspiration but they totally failed to take right features out of 'em. In game models barely look anything like their real life counterparts. Maybe released character creator have problems creating certain type of face, but that shouldn't be a problem with full developer tools. I also know that Bioware has talented artists so it's odd that character models look so bad.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

It's good that Bioware used great looking models as inspiration but they totally failed to take right features out of 'em. In game models barely look anything like their real life counterparts. Maybe released character creator have problems creating certain type of face, but that shouldn't be a problem with full developer tools. I also know that Bioware has talented artists so it's odd that character models look so bad.

I dunno, I thought they looked ok, but now that I have seen Morrigan's (smoldering) inspiration, I think the character model looks like ****e. Inevitable comparisons to ME1/2's Vanderloo-Shepard and what we've seen so far of Strahovski-Miranda are not flattering to DAO.

Also still facepalming about showing PS3 gameplay for the first time in gamespot's blocky 1fps stream. GNNH.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I dunno, I thought they looked ok, but now that I have seen Morrigan's (smoldering) inspiration, I think the character model looks like ****e. Inevitable comparisons to ME1/2's Vanderloo-Shepard and what we've seen so far of Strahovski-Miranda are not flattering to DAO.

While I still think Morrigan looks good in game, but her real model Victoria Johnson really is damn hot:

victoria-johnson_l1.jpg

;(

Also still facepalming about showing PS3 gameplay for the first time in gamespot's blocky 1fps stream. GNNH.

is probably better, Dragon Age bit starts at 7:50.

Yes, you did. It's just that the good gameplay in Torment wasn't the combat, it was the quest solving and finding out about your past. The problem is that as for almost everyone gameplay is combat, no one actually noticed they were still playing a game when not fighting.
Exactly. I'm surprised that Purkake had to resort to Torment when point-and-click adventures are a much better example of games with no combat whatsoever and a strong focus on story. Still, those games have their own gameplay mechanics, and those must be good enough so that puzzles are fun to solve.

My point was that a game can still be an enjoyable experience despite repetitive and lackluster gameplay, be it combat, platforming, puzzle solving or whatever else. As an example I put forth Prince of Persia, Torment might have indeed been a bad example.

Do you disagree?

You beat me to it. Default Shep is one of the most handsome characters I've ever seen in a game. But how are they going to justify Morrigan's pathological obsession with collagen in-game?

My point was that a game can still be an enjoyable experience despite repetitive and lackluster gameplay, be it combat, platforming, puzzle solving or whatever else. As an example I put forth Prince of Persia, Torment might have indeed been a bad example.

Do you disagree?

I haven't played the last PoP, and I doubt I will. The last game of that sort I played was GoW2, and I was so bored with it that I couldn't bring myself to endure it for more than two or three hours.

But to answer your question, repetitive gameplay is a game breaker for me. In fact, once a game starts getting repetitive (by design or by virtue of a bad challenge curve), my interest level takes a nosedive. If the story or other elements have me hooked and there's nothing better around, I may finish the game. But you can bet I'm not replaying it.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

While I still think Morrigan looks good in game, but her real model Victoria Johnson really is damn hot

Yes(!). 'Cept I agree with 213374U's huuuuge lips comment. Scary!

is probably better, Dragon Age bit starts at 7:50.

Thanks a lot!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Collagen aside, I don't really like the look of crazy Leliana either. In most screenies I've seen of her she looks like she just drank a bottle of vinegar. Wynne must be the only good-looking woman I've seen in DA so far.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

While I still think Morrigan looks good in game, but her real model Victoria Johnson really is damn hot:

victoria-johnson_l1.jpg

:lol:

I don't think BioWare's artist are bad; I think that no video game female is going to look as attractive as a hot woman. If we're just talking a still, computer generated image, it could be done, but nothing that's actually going to move around the screen will rate.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.