What Are You Playing Now?

as Calax said, the plot is okay at first, but then you get to the "twist" and you just go blank for a while and think to yourself that surely they couldn't have done something so absurdly stupid :x

a lot of people villify it, but i quite liked the junction system

the draw system on the other hand.... -_-

I have NEVER played FF VIII and so far am enjoying it. I am NOT that far into it yet. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the card game (After I spent.... more hours than I will admit to on learning it.) :aiee:

The Junction system is.... interesting so far. Plot wise I've been enjoying the card game too much... perhaps tomorrow I shall advance with the story.

I am honestly just playing this and looking at RPG mechanics in it that (from a game made in 1999) that are actually better than our "New S*^&" AAA RPG's, out now.

The sheer fact you can COMPLETELY avoid all random encounters by walking on the road (In the beginning area) is..... mind boggling. A jRPG... with a no levelling area. *GASP*.

If you love the card game, then use it to get spells to junction and try to get in fights as rarely as possible. You'll get a lot more enjoyment out of the game, that way.

The one thing to be said for FFVIII is that its game systems allow for various ways to approach the gameplay. It's the only FF game that I've played that allows the player to avoid fighting and still have an effective party for the boss fights. It's very metagamey, though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Damnit, guess I have to get ME1 for the PC then and play through it, again, just to get to see certain characters. This sucks.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Damnit, guess I have to get ME1 for the PC then and play through it, again, just to get to see certain characters. This sucks.

All those delightfully rocky planets are all out there, just waiting to be rolled over again.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

i have probably spent around 100+ hours playing the FF8 card game since the games release... best videogame mini-game EVER, perfect amount of effect on the actual game too (its dead true you can use it instead of fighting enemies to improve your party, i typically beat the game with my party only on level 20 or so)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Also I've played a bit of Civ IV... I actually had a civ come to me and say "LET ME BE YOUR VASSAL MASTER!" after I used tanks to beat up his pikemen.

Voluntary vassaling is fairly common for certain AI civs when they are losing badly and have the tech needed for vassalhood. The more obstinate ones won't do it (Monte, Shaka, etc.), but the more peaceful, tech-focused rivals will do it surprisingly quickly. You've just got to be careful that they capitulate to you and not to one of the other Civs that joined in your war. (There is actually a "dogpile" variable in the AI's warmaking decisions-- they are likely to join in for part of the spoils when a rival is being crushed.)

But if you're rolling pikes over with tanks, you'd probably be having more fun playing on a higher difficulty level.

Well... it was Kublai Khan.

But I'm gonna try a higher diff next time. It's just that when I do I usually get stomped or end up in a massive stalemate.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Apparently Divine Divinity, over time, likes to start randomly crashing. Reinstalling makes it go away for quite a while, and not using the QuickSave (which I did finally get to work) or having 2 chrs. going at once also slows down the return to flakiness, for me. Also, I'm one of those lucky people who can't click on 'statue' magic items w/out a crash. Perhaps some kind of memory leak/bad save system for the revamped versions that will run on XP/Vista? Dunno.

The company supposedly might be working on trying to fix it, which is impressive for an old game.

But it's frustrating. Yet, I and many others who've only recently discovered the game keep on playing anyway. What's a little inconvenience like reinstalling now and then, to play such a fun game? :p

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I haven't played an FF since I got fed up and bored part way through FF9, but I have been looking forward to this one for some reason.

Edited by Asol

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

That and the combat looks fun. -_-

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Hubby still playing TR:Underworld. I think he's got 28 hours on it already. Yes, he's very slow. He also still bobs his head all over the place when he's looking around the screen. Silly man.

About to dive back into Divine Divinity.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I just finished the Bring Down the Sky DLC for Mass Effect. It was good, definitely worth the free download. I was looking at the other DLC, is there just one other chapter, The Pinnacle Station? I thought there was more. Ah well, I'm not convinced to buy that one yet.

Exactly what is in Bring Down the Sky?

it's only like one or two hours about a group of batarians who hijack an asteroid and throw it towards earth. Batarians were only mentioned tangentially in the main game.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Been playing GTA IV - The Lost and Damned on 360. It's pretty funny to drive around liberty city with a chopper as a bad-ass vice president of biker gang and listen roxette's the look from the radio :lol:

I just pulled a massive Company of Heroes online session today... 65% of it was awesome (even when I was losing), the rest was all about how awful online gaming can be if you pick up the wrong gamers on your side.
Reminds me of a "wonderful" game of Starcraft with a french dude on Battle.net. Ugh..

More Shattered Horizon. I still need 4 more wins before Sunday at midnight. I've had horrible luck with skirmish matches since the competition started. 4 maps, 3 game modes. Need one win per map, per mode to get into the draw for that motherboard...

I just finished the Bring Down the Sky DLC for Mass Effect. It was good, definitely worth the free download. I was looking at the other DLC, is there just one other chapter, The Pinnacle Station? I thought there was more. Ah well, I'm not convinced to buy that one yet.

Don't bother with Pinnacle Station, it's quite poor.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I just pulled a massive Company of Heroes online session today... 65% of it was awesome (even when I was losing), the rest was all about how awful online gaming can be if you pick up the wrong gamers on your side.
Reminds me of a "wonderful" game of Starcraft with a french dude on Battle.net. Ugh..

I can see how that went. He probably used classic french tactics such as running away, waving a white flag and hiding. :lol:

I've been playing League of Legends, except I am absolutely terrible at it, and other people have been... very quick and rude about it. Most of the time you'll get the silent type of players, but once or twice you'll get a real jerk.