Apple's revenue jumped 47% this quarter

Humodour

Apple made comments about releasing a new product before Christmas as well as working on lower-end products (admitting the margins will be smaller but saying they're dedicated to providing cheaper alternatives - read: stealing market share from companies like Microsoft and HP).

Mac sales increased 19%. They also sold twice as many copies of their latest operating system (Snow Leopard) as they expected and they couldn't build enough iPhones to meet demand.

All this in the middle of America's worst recession in decades (America accounts for 50% of Apple's revenue).

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...To_xhAD9BEJCA80

Although I do find it ridiculous that Apple still has the prices for the products in Australia set at the 1 AUD = 0.60 USD exchange rate considering that it only went that low for like a month and is now back to the 0.90 cent plus range.

I'm totally going to order overseas. Except it looks like the iPhone is only sold with an AT&T plan in America. WTF?

Tempted to buy this beast in America once the Aussie dollar goes above parity: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop...mco=MTAyNTQwMTk

I'd save about $4000 compared to if I bought it via the Australia Apple store portal. :)

Edited by Krezack

Apple is rubbish and I would rather gouge my testicles out with an eggbeater than buy anything "i". I have a friend who got an ipod from his parents a few years ago and we still beat him every day because of it.

me has:

Laptop from HP

Mp3 player from samsung

Phone from nokia

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Apple is rubbish and I would rather gouge my testicles out with an eggbeater than buy anything "i". I have a friend who got an ipod from his parents a few years ago and we still beat him every day because of it.

me has:

Laptop from HP

Mp3 player from samsung

Phone from nokia

I feel that at if least half of this thread's posts aren't blind Apple bashing this thread will have been worth it.

Iphone wants a cut of the subscription, which is why it was so late in getting to Europe. Very few companies were interested with the cell market already extremely competitive with low profit margins. People would just order overseas and hack the firmware to accept their existing subscription.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Iphone wants a cut of the subscription, which is why it was so late in getting to Europe. Very few companies were interested with the cell market already extremely competitive with low profit margins. People would just order overseas and hack the firmware to accept their existing subscription.

Can't you order non-locked iPhones in Europe?

I'm totally going to order overseas. Except it looks like the iPhone is only sold with an AT&T plan in America. WTF?

It's because the iPhone uses WCDMA and the AT&T is the only WCDMA carrier in the US.

Until a few months ago anyway, T-Mobile just started rolling it out but they are years behind AT&T.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I just don't understand the appeal of apple products to people who are not totally computer illiterate. They're less powerful, more expensive and have a lot less software available than a PC or even a Linux. Why would anyone in their right mind buy a mac pro for twice the cost of a similar PC would be?

This is coming from someone who worked with macs (graphics & layout design) for years and has owned many apple products. I'll never buy another apple product until they start offering me more than flashy design.

Me owns:

Self assembled PC

Creative Zen mp3 player

Nokia phone

has owned:

Ipod

Powermac G4

Powerbook

Worked with a Powermac, both g5 and Intel, mac mini, powerbook and multiple iMacs, with OS's ranging from OS9 to Snow Leopard.

Man, i envy Apple. They manage to sell even more ridiculously overpriced products in a economic recession.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Good for them?

Also, Nokia phones FTW. The N900 is looking pretty good and running DOSBox on it will be sweet.

The N900 is one sweat-arse phone and if I don't have a new one once it comes out (unlikely) I'll be buying it the first chance I get. It's Nokia, it's Linux, it's a smartphone. What's not to love?

Also of interest, Microsoft quarterly earnings come out Friday.

I think i read somewhere that for every cycle when Microsoft releases a new OS, they will temporarily lose marketshares, while Apple will temporarily gain them.

I except bleak results :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think i read somewhere that for every cycle when Microsoft releases a new OS, they will temporarily lose marketshares, while Apple will temporarily gain them.

I except bleak results :)

Apple's market share has been increasing for years now (since long before Vista) while Microsoft's has been decreasing. I don't know where you got that from. It's certainly not true for the Vista release (Apple gained when Vista was released and kept those gains) and the data from before 2000 when Apple became resurgent is non-existent.

It's true that analysts expect Windows 7 to boost Apple marketshare but I have a feeling Apple would be just fine even without Microsoft donating customers. :p

I just don't understand the appeal of apple products to people who are not totally computer illiterate. They're less powerful, more expensive and have a lot less software available than a PC or even a Linux. Why would anyone in their right mind buy a mac pro for twice the cost of a similar PC would be?

Word. A friend of mine bought a new computer recently for about 2900$. I was very excited about specs until he revealed it was a mac laptop... You could get a faster PC for under half of it's price. But since the world will continue to hold a lot of people who will never bother to learn about computers I guess macs will continue to sell...

Edited by Rostere

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

And thats with Apple making people pay for service packs. Impressive. Upgrading from MacOS 10.5 to 10.6 is like

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The transition to Intel processors as well as a UNIX based operating system were too very good moves by Apple IMO.

I know some students at my University that bought Apples simply because it was Unix with a nice GUI, and the fact that it worked seamlessly with our lab machines (90% of which were running Linux) made it handy for them. And it seemed like the majority of the CompSci professors at my University also used Mac Laptops as well.

Only apple product I have is an iPhone, and I love it. Had E71 before and got sick of worrying about signing all of the apps I wanted to buy, terrible music player, slow internet and having to back up and reinstall every single app every time there was a firmware update.

Fact is, iPhone is the most capable mobile device right now. I easily manage all of the servers at work from this thing, I play great looking games, I write music on it and I never ever had to reinstall anything, set anything up, fiddle with settings, or spend more than 10 minutes updating the phone. I have a family and I prefer to spend my time with my son, not my phone/computer.

As of their computers, once again, I see the appeal. They are easy and time saving for people who go online and upload/edit their photos/videos on their computers, which is pretty much all I do on my laptop now. So, I'm pretty sure, my next computer will be an iMac, just because I don't have time for a PC.

EDIT: Jees, few too many "computers" in that last paragraph.

Edited by vault_overseer

The only thing I like about Apple is that they've shown yet again the necessity of commanding a company's product range rather than just piddling things out at random.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ugh. Don't get me started on those little demons. I went to a reunion on Friday and one guy simply wouldn't leave the damn thing alone.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So, macs are overpriced PCs, iPhones are overpriced, crappy smart phones, and iPods are overpriced, unflexible mp3 players. In general, Apple products are for people who don't know anything about what they're buying and are rich. Did I get all that right?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: