Far Cry

Humodour

I bought this for $10 on Good Old Games. Seems fun so far. Quite advanced graphics. Wasn't expecting that.

Bit miffed that it autodetects all my graphics settings as "very low", though. Just to see if it was correct, I set all graphical options to 'very high' and put the resolution to 1680 by 1050.

The game ran flawlessly, and at 30fps. So much for autodetect.

Just a question, though it's not really urgent: does it matter if I don't use stealth? I started using it, but then I realised I could get away with just blowing people away. Does it get a lot harder later and thus make stealth useful?

Or should I perhaps increase the difficulty? Currently at normal but that's second easiest out of like 5 difficulties.

I bought this for $10 on Good Old Games. Seems fun so far. Quite advanced graphics. Wasn't expecting that.

Bit miffed that it autodetects all my graphics settings as "very low", though. Just to see if it was correct, I set all graphical options to 'very high' and put the resolution to 1680 by 1050.

The game ran flawlessly, and at 30fps. So much for autodetect.

Just a question, though it's not really urgent: does it matter if I don't use stealth? I started using it, but then I realised I could get away with just blowing people away. Does it get a lot harder later and thus make stealth useful?

Or should I perhaps increase the difficulty? Currently at normal but that's second easiest out of like 5 difficulties.

Nope. Stealth works very well if you want to use it, but its not required in the least and in some places impossible.

the game does get harder later, especially as you enter the second half. I recommend just keeping it at normal.

Its quite a decent game overall.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You can download Far Cry free from some sites, it's funded by in-game advertising...all legit.
Yeah, I remember that now. You can get that version from Gamershell. I haven't tried it myself, though.

"You will need an Ubi.com account and you must live in the U.S. to play the game

Update:

The promotion is now closed and it is no longer possible to play the game for free. If you are interested in further information on this title, visit the Ubi official website at http://www.ubi.com/"

Not anymore. And apparently never outside the US.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You can download Far Cry free from some sites, it's funded by in-game advertising...all legit.
Yeah, I remember that now. You can get that version from Gamershell. I haven't tried it myself, though.

"You will need an Ubi.com account and you must live in the U.S. to play the game

Update:

The promotion is now closed and it is no longer possible to play the game for free. If you are interested in further information on this title, visit the Ubi official website at http://www.ubi.com/"

Not anymore. And apparently never outside the US.

Meh, just buy it for $10 on Good Old Games.

Far Cry is one of the few games I never completed.

I think it kind of ran into the same territory as Crysis and Oblivion. Technically nice.. but no soul.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Far Cry is one of the few games I never completed.

I think it kind of ran into the same territory as Crysis and Oblivion. Technically nice.. but no soul.

Just like my ex-girlfriend.

Hahahahahaha.

Sheer elegance in its simplicity!

That's what she said!

Far Cry was one of the better pure shooters I've ever played.

Much more enjoyable than Crysis.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It was that whole mix of.. you could be impressed by the technical excellence of it.. but lacking in gameplay that actually pulled you in and made you invest in the story.

At least that's how it came across to me. Although yes, Far Cry did have a touch more soul then Crysis and Oblivion both. But not enough to keep me plowing through.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It was that whole mix of.. you could be impressed by the technical excellence of it.. but lacking in gameplay that actually pulled you in and made you invest in the story.

At least that's how it came across to me. Although yes, Far Cry did have a touch more soul then Crysis and Oblivion both. But not enough to keep me plowing through.

Far Cry was the first game I ever played that showed me how graphics could make a game better.

Prior to Far Cry I had been in the graphics don't matter camp for years.

After playing Far Cry, I left that camp for good.

As far as content goes, eh, FC is a pure shooter. Either you like them or you don't. It does combat well; it has some good level design (some bad ones as well), the mercs are good enemies (the Trigens less so), the stealth part, while unneccessary, is well implemented and works, if you want to use it.

And the enviornment graphics are the best I've ever seen in a game as far as putting you SOMEWHERE and really feeling like you are THERE. Which even more modern games like Crysis and Bioshock fail to accomplish nearly so well.

Far Cry has enemies that can see (and shoot) me through walls. Coupled with the tactic of "hide in the deep brush and shoot everyone as they come close to investigate why their friend just died" and the stealth mechanic seemed pretty meh and borderline broken to me.

The graphics engine for the game is still pretty good IMO though, and I'll agree with that aspect for sure.

These shortcoming became particularly prevalent though, when I was playing the game and I had the difficult set to adjustable meaning that the clairvoyant sharpshooters that track me even after they lose LOS made the game exceptionally frustrating. To be sneaking around in a tent previously undetected, to have multiple hostiles all be precisely accurate while shooting you through the side of the tent was less than awesome.

Far Cry has enemies that can see (and shoot) me through walls.

I never encountered that, but I seem to recall others having the same problems. That would be annoying I agree.

Coupled with the tactic of "hide in the deep brush and shoot everyone as they come close to investigate why their friend just died" and the stealth mechanic seemed pretty meh and borderline broken to me.

While I agree that from a logical and real world perspective the concept of hiding behind a really small bush amd killing mercs without being detected is pretty ludicrous, so is the basic premise of one lone jughead falling off a sailboat and then going on a rampage that kills hundreds if not thousands of mercs and monsters. I thought the stealth system worked well as part of the gameplay

These shortcoming became particularly prevalent though, when I was playing the game and I had the difficult set to adjustable meaning that the clairvoyant sharpshooters that track me even after they lose LOS made the game exceptionally frustrating. To be sneaking around in a tent previously undetected, to have multiple hostiles all be precisely accurate while shooting you through the side of the tent was less than awesome.

Yeah, I heard a lot of bad things about that difficulty setting and never used it. I just played on normal, I think.