Interplay Strikes Back

Masterfade

NMA reports that one Frymuchan, apparently a stockholder of Interplay, posted on Interplay's forum on the financial site Quote.com stating Interplay is countersuing Beth to have the Fallout IP deal declared null and void. Frymuchan's first post is too long to quote entirely, but the second one is short so here you go

BEST PART OF THE FILING.

What really blew me away was that Interplay argued in their court documents that Bethesda breached the contract and messed with Interplay every step of the way (such as sending letters to everyone that Interplay tried to sell the original Fallout games to) to such an extent that the contract is now null and void and therefore the former contract is in effect which states that Interplay owns the Fallout license and Bethesda sublicenses it and only has rights to Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 and Fallout 5. Instead of Interplay oweing Bethesda royalties from Fallout MMORPG, Bethesda should pay Interplay royalties from Fallout 3, in excess of 15-20 million (estimated) as well as damages to Interplay's name, etc. What an amazing, brilliant legal stroke that would be if Interplay pulled this off and REGAINED the Fallout license (AMAZING LEGAL SWITCHAROO) and to boot got a huge, huge settlement from Bethesda to use toward remaking their old games and/or toward Fallout MMORPG.

Go IPLY!!

Oh, there's some colorful bits in Frymuchan's first post that, for some reason, both NMA and the Vault decided not to report.

I'M FEELING VERY GOOD ABOUT INTERPLAY'S POSITION ON THIS AND I LOOK FORWARD TO BETHESDA GETTING SOME VERY, VERY NEGATIVE PRESS FROM NMA AND OTHER SITES WHEN THEY LEARN ABOUT HOW BETHESDA TRIED TO MESS WITH INTERPLAY EVERY STEP OF THE WAY, EVEN TRYING TO STOP THE GAMETAP DEAL FROM GOING THROUGH. Bad, Bad, Bethesda, your greed will be your undoing. NMA and other fallout sites are very very powerful and have lots of members that can boycott and otherwise hit you right back.

GO IPLY!!

Credit should be given to NMA for reprinting Frymuchan's post verbatim on its frontpage, only to omit the part wherein its name was mentioned. Such modesty is exceedingly rare in this age of self-hype.

Edited by Masterfade

I'M FEELING VERY GOOD ABOUT INTERPLAY'S POSITION ON THIS AND I LOOK FORWARD TO BETHESDA GETTING SOME VERY, VERY NEGATIVE PRESS FROM NMA AND OTHER SITES WHEN THEY LEARN ABOUT HOW BETHESDA TRIED TO MESS WITH INTERPLAY EVERY STEP OF THE WAY, EVEN TRYING TO STOP THE GAMETAP DEAL FROM GOING THROUGH. Bad, Bad, Bethesda, your greed will be your undoing. NMA and other fallout sites are very very powerful and have lots of members that can boycott and otherwise hit you right back.

GO IPLY!!

Right, aren't these are the same sites that guaranteed that FO3 was going to be a dismal failure unless it was made just the way they wanted it? :lol:

I don't know why anyone would root for Interplay under any circumstance.

I can easily see some of the NMA / other bat**** insane ppl rooting for Interplay just as a way to lash out at Bethesda for "destroying the franchise". Those ppl will conveniently forget the fact that they've been bashing and cursing Interplay for 5+ years over there... :lol:

Edited by Gorth
Circumventing language filter

Also, VERY, VERY interesting is that Interplay is COUNTERSUING Bethesda. Interplay said that they did disclose the Glutton Creeper deal with Bethesda and Bethesda suddenly terminated the deal with Glutton, which resulted in Glutton suing Interplay. Interplay wants that money back that they had to pay Glutton and legal fees from this.

Hilarious. I didn't know that.

Glutton Creeper had been working on a pencil-n-paper version of Fallout and Bethesda killed it.

I can easily see some of the NMA / other bat**** insane ppl rooting for Interplay just as a way to lash out at Bethesda for "destroying the franchise". Those ppl will conveniently forget the fact that they've been bashing and cursing Interplay for 5+ years over there... :lol:

I think it's less "Interplay is awesome" than "Interplay is the lesser of two evils".

Without a peek at the actual language of the contract in question, it's really hard to say much about this. It seems like the guy who posted this has read a filing IPLY made and assumed that every factual allegation in it is completely true. A dubious approach, to say the least. (It could very well be IPLY's litigation strategy to throw everything at the wall they can think of, hope something sticks, and get a quick cash-out settlement before they drown in legal costs.)

I don't see how anybody is better off with the IP in the hands of a company so lacking in the financial and personnel resources that would be necessary to make use of it.

Interplay messed up Fallout big time. Bethesda messed it up even more.

But considering Interplay was trying to make a Fallout MMO I can't tell which is worse. I'd have to go with Interplay still being the devil incarnate I think.

Iply wins --> No Fallout New Vegas

If someone else than Sawyer were the lead designer of New Vegas, it would not be possible, but that guy really has the worst luck ever.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

If someone else than Sawyer were the lead designer of New Vegas, it would not be possible, but that guy really has the worst luck ever.

Ah, bummer.

Still, it'd be hilarious if that happened, in a sad, desperate kind of way.

I wouldn't be too worried about New Vegas. The chances that a rescission being granted by the court under such circumstance is nil.

Beth would not lose their original agreement for 3 SP games on the franchise though, so NV is not in danger.

Beth would not lose their original agreement for 3 SP games on the franchise though, so NV is not in danger.

Yeah but the three games are Fallout 3, 4, 5 according to the original comments.

That would mean Beth would have to consider NV either 4 or 5 of their contract.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's conceivable Beth then may decide licenses for another two games would be more profitable if they're reserved for in-house projects.

But, really, Interplay has as big a chance in taking back the Fallout IP as Russians have in getting back Alaska. So those points are all pretty moot.

Edited by Masterfade