Alpha Protocol has been delayed.

Hmmm, what happens if he had already played Space Siege (which came free with the Steam Preorder)?

Apparently, nothing. It was removed from "My Games." We could debate the "value" of Space Siege as an influencing element into my decision to purchase the AP pre-order.

It's unfortunate. There is the real possibility, that come June 2010 SEGA will dedicate even less resources towards this game for promotion then it has now. Will magazines, such as PC Gamer and XBOX Magazine re-run their previous previews? It is difficult to build up tremendous hype just prior to release, go quite, let the expected delivery date pass, have everyone find out about a delay through game retailers such as GoGamer.com and Gamestop and then announce we will instead...do it all over again in "Spring 2010?"

Really?

When it's business, it's business. When it's us playin' AP, then it's us playin' AP. Right now, it's business.

*goes reinstall deux ex* ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Hmmm, what happens if he had already played Space Siege (which came free with the Steam Preorder)?

Apparently, nothing. It was removed from "My Games." We could debate the "value" of Space Siege as an influencing element into my decision to purchase the AP pre-order.

Just curious if that's a potential exploit haha

It's unfortunate. There is the real possibility, that come June 2010 SEGA will dedicate even less resources towards this game for promotion then it has now. Will magazines, such as PC Gamer and XBOX Magazine re-run their previous previews? It is difficult to build up tremendous hype just prior to release, go quite, let the expected delivery date pass, have everyone find out about a delay through game retailers such as GoGamer.com and Gamestop and then announce we will instead...do it all over again in "Spring 2010?"

Really?

I'd argue there really wasn't that much hype, and certainly not "tremendous hype" prior to the release. The focus of talk on these boards was that, outside of us being excited here, no one had really seen a whole heck of a lot for advertisements for the game and were pleading for Sega to actually start promoting it.

Regardless, I'd be surprised if Sega spent less resources promoting the game for the Spring release as opposed to now, given the general idea is that the delay is due to some sort of release strategy. If they were going to give up on the game, they'd just release it now and collect what they can. Unless they don't feel they could recoup the manufacturing costs, in which case it'd probably be best to just cancel the game.

Sitting on the game, to do nothing of any value with it later, doesn't help Sega's bottom line at all.

I'd argue there really wasn't that much hype, and certainly not "tremendous hype" prior to the release. The focus of talk on these boards was that, outside of us being excited here, no one had really seen a whole heck of a lot for advertisements for the game and were pleading for Sega to actually start promoting it.

Regardless, I'd be surprised if Sega spent less resources promoting the game for the Spring release as opposed to now, given the general idea is that the delay is due to some sort of release strategy. If they were going to give up on the game, they'd just release it now and collect what they can. Unless they don't feel they could recoup the manufacturing costs, in which case it'd probably be best to just cancel the game.

Sitting on the game, to do nothing of any value with it later, doesn't help Sega's bottom line at all.

Well, I read a number of reviews in Print and online which of course were the reason for my decision to pre-order the game. So, they reached me quite effectively and I am a casual gamer. In addition, atleast through the print medium, I saw just as many advertisements as many other games which have been released. Maybe not on TV, it that's where you expect to get your advertising.

The point regarding resource allocation is that a lot can happen between now and the 6-8 months that the game is purportedly scheduled for release. There is little doubt in my mind that considerable money has already been spent on advertising and promotion. To crank that all up again, costs more money. How much more would you expect them to spend when strategies on their whole catalogue of offerings could change in that time-frame? Depending on what other games are released at that time, how successful will they be at getting Print and Online Media to re-run previews when little has changed with the game? How many people will care if all the media time and space is devoted to promote another game being released like WOW: Cataclysm?

I hope it works out for them, I really do.

Edited by Shepyrd

Well, I read a number of reviews in Print and online which of course were the reason for my decision to pre-order the game. So, they reached me quite effectively and I am a casual gamer.

That's nice. I'm unaware of any actual reviews for the game though. Who gave it a final review?

I saw just as many advertisements as many other games which have been released.

Anecdotal and biased. You're interested in the game and would therefore be more likely to notice ads for this game. I only remember ever seeing one ad for Halo ODST. I have a feeling that Halo ODST was more marketed than that though.

Maybe not on TV, it that's where you expect to get your advertising.

Now that you mention it, good point! This is a game with console versions that was completely devoid of any television marketing campaign.

The point regarding resource allocation is that a lot can happen between now and the 6-8 months that the game is purportedly scheduled for release. There is little doubt in my mind that considerable money has already been spent on advertising and promotion.

There is doubt in my mind. Who wins?

To crank that all up again, costs more money. How much more would you expect them to spend when strategies on their whole catalogue of offerings could change in that time-frame?

What if what if what if. What if the game actually isn't polished enough to the point that Obsidian would be essentially releasing their third buggy game in as many attempts?

I'm sure we're all a fan of KOTOR 2's final state.

I understand you really want the game now. But unfortunately it's not happening.

Edited by alanschu

Anecdotal and biased. You're interested in the game and would therefore be more likely to notice ads for this game. I only remember ever seeing one ad for Halo ODST. I have a feeling that Halo ODST was more marketed than that though.

I don't think you understand. but, that's ok. I only became interested in the game after reading previews in magazines I trust such as PC Gamer and XBox as well as, reading previews online at sites like 1Up. While Halo had more advertising, perhaps, I am not interested in purchasing that game. I'm not even sure they are comparable.

What if what if what if. What if the game actually isn't polished enough to the point that Obsidian would be essentially releasing their third buggy game in as many attempts?

I'm sure we're all a fan of KOTOR 2's final state.

You can bash Obsidian if you like, I'm not sure what purpose that serves you, but, whatever lifts your spirits. Based on the News Release it appears Obsidian did their part and turned in a finished product, which Sega has decided will be released much later. Now, if they intend to keep working on this Title at Obsidian, well, that would be a different story.

I understand you really want the game now. But unfortunately it's not happening.

Want? Wanting something has very little to do with it. I expected the game for which I pre-ordered. I have since cancelled that pre-order and frankly, after eight months when it is released, I may not care that much about this game because I may have plenty of other gaming options to keep me busy.

Yes, for we all want Alpha Protocol goodness to dabble in those themes of loyalty and to find out whether this is true for a spy :

post-26660-1256229126_thumb.jpg

:lol:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

*rages about delaying a finished game*

Not that that's too unusual. Review copies of Dragon Age were out months ago.

From what I understand, the PC version of the game was finished months ago but the 360 version was unfinished, and the desire for simultaneous release is what caused the delay. We are not aware of any such arrangement with Alpha Protocol.

*rages about delaying a finished game*

Not that that's too unusual. Review copies of Dragon Age were out months ago.

From what I understand, the PC version of the game was finished months ago but the 360 version was unfinished, and the desire for simultaneous release is what caused the delay. We are not aware of any such arrangement with Alpha Protocol.

The game was finished - but then they decided to go back and include new stuff, while the engine was being ported. So it's not as clear-cut as people making it seem. Sure, the PC version could have been released in March, but it would not have had all the content and polish the version that's shipping in two weeks is going to have.

• 1 month later...
The game was finished - but then they decided to go back and include new stuff, while the engine was being ported.

Cool! Tell me, what new stuff did they include?

You'll have to ask them that. All I know is what they tell me. :p

Of course I was a bit saddened to hear the game received its last delay. But ya, in sober second hindsight thought-mode , I'm happy to hear the game was delayed. The extra time might be responsible for making this game sort of good, to something really above average.

I do feel a bit bad for Obs though, as competition wise it would have been much better if they came out when they planned to, before Borderlands and Dragon Age and then the mass of new 2010 RPGS coming out.

Apparently, for Dragon Age they added some 50 or so sidequests. I'm guessing they were the mage's collective/chantry board/blackstone quests, those didn't really seem to fit the game as well as all the other stuff did. Mostly just MMO style 'go there, kill stuff, come back' quests.

Well, I suppose most RPG sidequests are like those :) But these didn't have as much window dressing to convince you they were different :)

Edited by Baeus

I heard they also used that time to finish and completely implement Shale, the character from the Stone Prisoner DLC. Would they have known that they had more time, they would probably have included it directly in the game, but I suppose they saw good anti-second-hand-retails value in that thing at that point...

Of course I was a bit saddened to hear the game received its last delay.

I don't think you heard of the last delay, unlike I did. Supposed to get mine today, wonder if I'm going to. *waves at EA Nordic* :p