Car accidents for the lose

alanschu

Grrr, stupid snowy conditions had some guy pull out of a parking lot in front of me without me having the ability to stop on icy roads, resulting in accident of doom. Car is drivable, but a fair bit of damage. Here's hoping I don't get any unnecessary insurance drama because I'm not at fault. Though there's no witnesses so it's he said-she said. THe guy didn't seem like a **** though.

On the plus side, the damage cracked my windshield wiper fluid container, so I can't have any windshield wiper fluid at all....

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu----

The apparent temperature yesterday at lunch time was -1.5 Celsius, actual temp 5.5 Celsius. Right now it's 6 Celsius. As far as Spring goes, this is ****.

Meanwhile, the last winter was the 2nd warmest on record and this summer will be one of the hottest on record with similar insane bushfires to last year. And unfortunately this weather pattern is going to amplify as global warming gets worse.

I've never ever been in a snow storm. It'd be fun. Got 3rd party insurance? I think you legally have to have that in Australia to drive.

Edited by Krezack

Fortunately, with comprehensive insurance in Australia, it doesn't matter whether you're at fault or not, the insurance company pays for the damage. My girlfriend has had two accidents (unfortunately her fault) in the last year and no problems whatsoever. Just took if to the panebeaters and they did all the insurance work. She only had to pay the standard excess (around $500.00 iirc). All up in damages with the two accidents combined was about $10K damage.

Grrr, stupid snowy conditions had some guy pull out of a parking lot in front of me without me having the ability to stop on icy roads, resulting in accident of doom. Car is drivable, but a fair bit of damage. Here's hoping I don't get any unnecessary insurance drama because I'm not at fault. Though there's no witnesses so it's he said-she said. THe guy didn't seem like a **** though.

And that was Edmontons first snowfall over the weekend, right? There's usually tons of drivers that need to realize they need more time to do anything when they drive in the winter. After the first few week of it everyone seems to adjust, for the most part.

I like your optimism, Alan. In my experience, dealing with insurance companies sucks. And is probably supposed to be sucky in nature to begin with. Just be glad that you weren't injured, and that the accident didn't happen in the parking lot. Alberta law states that accidents in lots are 50-50, no matter who is to blame. I think.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

The insurance company still pays for your damage here (less any deductibles you might have), but it's a hit against your record and likely results in increased premiums. Depending on how many claims you have had.

I'd much rather HIS insurance have to foot the bill (and he be noted with the claim against his account), than myself.

It's at times like this when I feel great about not having a car (or a licence, for that matter). Sorry to be an ass.

Glad it was nothing serious, though.

And unfortunately this weather pattern is going to amplify as global warming gets worse.
You just couldn't resist, could you?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

And unfortunately this weather pattern is going to amplify as global warming gets worse.

I wasn't aware I was discussing one of your many trigger? ;) You of all people should be able to recognise the validity of the science behind global warming, even if you don't give a damn about it. Certainly in my country there's very little contentious about global warming and I was pretty sure most of the rest of the world (including even America) had gotten past climate change denial as well.

What I said is not original research. I'm pretty much regurgitating Bureau of Meteorology and CSIRO warnings from their own modelling. The lower half of Australia will get more droughts and heatwaves, while the upper half will flood more and suffer more tropical storms and cyclones. Being in the middle of those two zones, my area is probably reasonably blessed in a way since we'll be exposed to both changes but neither as strongly.

I'd much rather HIS insurance have to foot the bill (and he be noted with the claim against his account), than myself.

If it works in Canada like it does in the States, and assuming that your policy had first-party collision coverage ("comprehensive" is for non-collision damage like vandalism, fire, etc.), your insurance company has the onus to 1) pay you according to your policy, and 2) sue the at-fault driver (who would be represented by his insurance company) to recoup both their costs and your deductible. Usually, an out-of-court settlement takes care of step 2.

My friend had trouble with his insurance and the call centre in Mumbai retorted that their system was incapable of making any error. Quite apart from the fundamental impossibility of such an assertion, he pointed out that they had sent correspondence to teh wrong address twice, making numerous spelling mistakes, which had only got to him thanks to the ingenuity of the Royal Mail.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And that was Edmontons first snowfall over the weekend, right? There's usually tons of drivers that need to realize they need more time to do anything when they drive in the winter. After the first few week of it everyone seems to adjust, for the most part.

I like your optimism, Alan. In my experience, dealing with insurance companies sucks. And is probably supposed to be sucky in nature to begin with. Just be glad that you weren't injured, and that the accident didn't happen in the parking lot. Alberta law states that accidents in lots are 50-50, no matter who is to blame. I think.

1. What's this "snow" and "ice" you guys speak of?

2. What's an "Alberta"? Is that, like, a female Albert?

manthing2.jpg

I wasn't aware I was discussing one of your many trigger? :sorcerer: You of all people should be able to recognise the validity of the science behind global warming, even if you don't give a damn about it. Certainly in my country there's very little contentious about global warming and I was pretty sure most of the rest of the world (including even America) had gotten past climate change denial as well.

It's good you have so much faith in your religion. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8299079.stm

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Thanks Fionavar. I am okay. As is the other person. Got the estimate today: $2500. Ouch. I have a $500 deductible which isn't too bad, but is also something I'd really rather not pay at the moment. Hopefully the other side admits fault or things get less rosy :sorcerer:

It's good you have so much faith in your religion. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8299079.stm

Your link shows that things are still debated.

I am very skeptical of the influences of global warming (if only from a "it's not what everyone else thinks" type approach), but I also don't discount the entire idea behind man-influenced global warming because I can find articles that support my belief.

The reason why it goes on is because neither side can prove the other perspective is false (which is what science is all about).

Edited by alanschu

I am very skeptical of the influences of global warming (if only from a "it's not what everyone else thinks" type approach), but I also don't discount the entire idea behind man-influenced global warming because I can find articles that support my belief.

The reason why it goes on is because neither side can prove the other perspective is false (which is what science is all about).

Yeah, that's the way I think as well.

What bothers me is that there's lots and lots of people going on about how serious this is and stuff -- it's another fad for them. And when you start questioning why do they believe that, they either can't answer or recite some pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo that doesn't stand up to closer scrutiny. Most people don't have the scientific background needed to understand the arguments being put forth either for or against it. I am one of those people, but I have enough scientific formation to understand that consensus doesn't equal rigour when science is being discussed. It's not just neocon nutjobs raising doubts about this.

And then I can only wonder why we are accepting models that are admittedly inaccurate to dictate the policies we should follow. It's a sad state of affairs when science is used just as another political weapon.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

On the plus side, the damage cracked my windshield wiper fluid container, so I can't have any windshield wiper fluid at all....

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu----

What a bummer. I know how you feel though, I got a little banged up in one of those myself back in January. Only my truck was totaled. I loved that truck. Hope this comes out ok for you.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What bothers me is that there's lots and lots of people going on about how serious this is and stuff -- it's another fad for them. And when you start questioning why do they believe that, they either can't answer or recitate some pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo that doesn't stand up to closer scrutiny. Most people don't have the scientific background needed to understand the arguments being put forth either for or against it. I am one of those people, but I have enough scientific formation to understand that consensus doesn't equal rigour when science is being discussed. It's not just neocon nutjobs raising doubts about this.

This reminds me of some of the people I know that attack religion (easy enough target) and say that their ideas of cosmology are stupid and how the Big Bang Theory is the obvious explanation, yet they don't understand the Big Bang Theory themselves and certainly don't understand that it was initially criticized because it seemed to indicate some sort of divine intervention.

A friend of mine can be notorious for bashing religion and how they just blindly accept religious explanations for events, yet he has no problems blinding accepting and preferring explanations that go in line with his beliefs. He's especially confident that his logic and reasoning are sufficient enough to explain things, so when things go contrary to how he thinks they will be he gets dismissive, even in the face of empirical facts that go counter to his claim.

A friend of mine can be notorious for bashing religion and how they just blindly accept religious explanations for events, yet he has no problems blinding accepting and preferring explanations that go in line with his beliefs. He's especially confident that his logic and reasoning are sufficient enough to explain things, so when things go contrary to how he thinks they will be he gets dismissive, even in the face of empirical facts that go counter to his claim.

My point exactly.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

My point exactly.

Yeah, I really can't stand it when he just dismisses points addressed against his concern, complete with data backing it up, simply because he chooses to believe something else. I wish he'd at least support his position or at least have something more than his "logic" for why the data is false. Because he believes the world works differently is hardly enough to satisfy me in a discussion.

Edited by alanschu