New Xbox in 2012?

Masterfade

Form tech news site Fudzilla

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15936/1/

We've learned from industry sources that AMD / ATI has already won the GPU deal for the next generation XboX console. It looks like Microsoft was happy with first Xeons GPU and it wants to continue using the same, especially since the new ATI GPU should keep the compatibility with legacy games.

The consoles refresh was supposed to happen in 2010 but due to the recession both Microsoft and Sony have decided to push its plans for 2012 and keep the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 alive for more than it was originally planned.

We don

I think the 360/PS3/Wii generation is supposed to last about 10 years, but heh, we'll see.

To be honest I think we can stop making better graphics now. At this point whatever they come up with can't be all that much better.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yeah, I've had my 360 since what, 2005 now? 2012 seems like a reasonable time for me to shell out another $400 for a new console. I won't mind so long as they fix the problems with the 360 (backwards compatibility sucked, non-rechargable batteries in the controllers, something the PS3 had)

To be honest I think we can stop making better graphics now. At this point whatever they come up with can't be all that much better.

We can stop improving the hardware when it can do anything and everything we can think of, and not before then.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah, I've had my 360 since what, 2005 now? 2012 seems like a reasonable time for me to shell out another $400 for a new console. I won't mind so long as they fix the problems with the 360 (backwards compatibility sucked, non-rechargable batteries in the controllers, something the PS3 had)

I actually love removable batteries in xbox controllers - I bought a nyko pack with a charger and two rechargables for $15 and now I always have a charged battery on hand, with PS3 I'd have to plug in to charge.

That and the small/non-existent hard drives along with Microsoft's insistence that everything must be playable straight off the disc(I can understand why you would do it in the 90s with PS1, but having it today is ridiculous).

Hard drive space is only a problem with the original 360 Pro. Now, releasing the core/arcade SKU was pants-on-head retarded, especially after xbox1, where every console had a hard drive

Wrong. There's still a ton of improvements to be made.

Personally though, I don't think we will see the Next-Gen consoles before 2015.

Releasing a new Xbox in 2012 or 2013 while remarketing a "Natalized" 360 as a causal platform could be a sound strategy, IMO.

• 2 months later...
I don't think they even make smaller than 200GB 3.5'' hard drives for retail. There's no reason why the 360 HDD couldn't be 500GB and actually be able to hold some games and media like other modern technology.

Well, you can fit a decent amount of stuff on there, just do not install games. It takes up +10 gigs for one game, Fable II takes about 12 and in the name of all things sweet and holy don't install Oblivion.

I actually got mine last month, and installed 2 games, played about twenty, and have 40ish gigs left (Pro)

Edited by kingofsquid

On the other hand, I think once all major core consoles have Blu-ray, 25 gigabytes games will become standard or even 100gb or 250gb once multi-layer Blu-ray technology matures. It's predicted only 16% of PC shipped in 2013 will have Blu-ray drives, so if 25gb games become the norm we'll have to deal with 3 or 4 disc swap of the Baldur's Gate days. The extra distribution costs will make PC even more unattractive for cross-platform releases. If multi-layer Blu-ray discs become the norm, it may mark the end of physical distribution for PC games. Sure, digital distribution should have built up a lot of steam (no pun intended) by then, but I wonder how many people will be ready to download, say, a 100gb game

Just because they're not shipped w/BluRay drives doesn't mean gamers can't/don't go out and buy a blue ray drive. I'm not sure whether availability of BluRay drives itself is a stopping block of any kind, for PC gaming.

Larger download sizes may be an issue for places like Steam, but meh...who's to say internet speed won't increase, or that people may be more patient than you think?

...or better yet, that people would stop making places like Steam so popular for new releases and PC could go back to being more disc oriented again, bluray or not. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2012 seems reasonable.

We're only just starting to get the best from PS3 exclusives, this generation of consoles were always going to be the most challenging in terms of logical shift for programmers.

Going from single to multi-core processors has taken a while, The 360 is an amazing machine, but that's beginning to peak in regards to what people are pushing it to do, there is a little more it is likely to be able to do yet.

The PS3 is a funny beast, takes alot of work to get the best from it, which is why exclusive's tend to perform better than multiplatform machines.

Regardless, my prediction is that we're likely to see the end of optical media, either this next coming generation, or the one after.

Down with retail.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!