USS New York Makes Maiden Voyage From New Orleans to New York City

Guard Dog

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Really doesn't seem all that amazing to me. :ermm:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I personally 'get' the decision to use WTC steel. I mean the Victoria Cross used to be made from captured enemy cannon metal. There's a resonance to it. And good on them for choosing a marine assault ship. It's booties who fight Al Qaeda, not cruise missiles.

Good on you, fellahs.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I mean the Victoria Cross used to be made from captured enemy cannon metal.

Were they really? What are they made of now?

So what's an assault ship for? What kind of conflict is that likely to be used in?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I mean the Victoria Cross used to be made from captured enemy cannon metal.

Were they really? What are they made of now?

So what's an assault ship for? What kind of conflict is that likely to be used in?

My exhaustive historical research came up with this:

It was originally intended that the VCs would be cast from the bronze cascabels of two cannon that were captured from the Russians at the siege of Sevastopol.[16][17][18] The historian John Glanfield has since proven through the use of x-rays of older Victoria Crosses that the metal used for VCs is in fact from antique Chinese guns and not of Russian origin.[4][17][18] One theory is that the guns were originally Chinese weapons but the Russians captured them and reused them at Sevastopol. It was also thought that some medals made during the First World War were composed of metal captured from different Chinese guns during the Boxer Rebellion but the original metal was used after the war. It is also believed that another source of metal was used between 1942 and 1945 to create five Second World War VCs when the Sevastopol metal went missing.[4]

The barrels of the cannon in question are on display at Firepower - The Royal Artillery Museum at Woolwich. The remaining portion of the only remaining cascabel, weighing 358 oz (10 kg), is stored in a vault maintained by 15 Regiment Royal Logistic Corps at Donnington, Telford. It can only be removed under armed guard. It is estimated that approximately 80 to 85 more VCs could be cast from this source. A single company of jewellers, Han****s of London, has been responsible for the production of every VC awarded since its inception.

I think if I ever get married I shall have the wedding rings made at the same place.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I love how all of Guard Dog's links are from.. Fox News. It's so clich

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

-Elwood Blues

-Elwood Blues

Thomas Sowell