Uncharted 2

So, I just picked up my pre-order today, and thus far the SP is about what I expected. Basically, it's the game equivelant of a summer blockbuster: short on substance, but plenty of explosions to help you forget that. Gameplay-wise, everything does pretty much what you'd expect, with shooting dudes from behind cover and platforming being the primary activities. That said, I hear that the game kicks into overdrive in the last half, so the best is supposedly yet to come.

Also, having played the MP beta, I can vouch that that aspect s pretty fun and full-featured.

I really wanted to make a thread about this after I saw the Gametrailers review.

If I had a PS3, I would totally buy it. The animation, dialog and cutscenes look really cool. It's nice that they actually gave the voice actors multiple takes and went for some pulpy stuff instead of the usual brown/gray swear/gore/macho-fest.

I haven't even finished Uncharted yet...

I own Uncharted 1, yet don't have a PS3. It was just sitting there on the shelf in all it's $20 non-greatest hits version glory. I had to buy it. Same reason I also own Infamous and MGS4:LE. :ermm:

Edited by Deraldin

I own Uncharted 1, yet don't have a PS3. It was just sitting there on the shelf in all it's $20 non-greatest hits version glory. I had to buy it. Same reason I also own Infamous and MGS4:LE. >_<

Heh. I remember when I walked into EB, saw MGS4, and even though I don't have a PS3 I just couldn't not buy it. I still don't have a PS3, but at least I have played through the game.

I own Uncharted 1, yet don't have a PS3. It was just sitting there on the shelf in all it's $20 non-greatest hits version glory. I had to buy it. Same reason I also own Infamous and MGS4:LE. >_<

Heh. I remember when I walked into EB, saw MGS4, and even though I don't have a PS3 I just couldn't not buy it. I still don't have a PS3, but at least I have played through the game.

My local walmart was clearing out the Limited Edition MGS4. They had 8 copies on the shelf for $20 each. >_<

I have to say that I've been enjoying Uncharted 2 quite a bit. I believe I'm on Chapter 17 of 26 and can say that it deserves the hype it's been given and certainly deserves the scores it's been given so far. I've played quite a lot of the MP when it was in beta, and can't wait to enjoy it fresh and new now, but I want to get through the campaign first.

I have to say that if someone were to buy a PS3, this game and its prequel are two of the first games they should buy for pure enjoyment value.

Just how srs and grimdark is this game? Light-hearted atmosphere (and OH MY GOD SIMON TEMPLEMAN ALLCAPS) is the main reason I enjoyed the original game, so it's a potential deal-breaker for me.

20795.jpg

I've recently been playing Uncharted 1 on a buddy's PS3. It's been a total blast, until now --

I just reached Chapter 17. Why the hell do all "kill-mercenaries" games have to transform into "kill-zombies" games??? It's ridiculous! It makes sense in some games, but it simply killed Uncharted for me. What a waste.

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

All I can say from the demo is that the co-op is really fun. It's kind of like Gears with the cover system (but less enjoyable gunplay thanks to the gamepad), but the character is a whole lot more agile. You're basically running all over the place, jumping and diving in and out of cover, climbing buildings, running and meleeing enemies; it's pretty fast-paced.

One of the co-op modes has you having to pick up a treasure, then bring it back to a location, while fending off endless enemies. Since you have specific objectives, you have to keep moving, while defending against enemies from every direction. Makes the gameplay very dynamic.

I'll be picking up the game at the bargain bin, though. Apparently the co-op campaign only has like 3 levels, and the gold rush as described above (+ survival) only have 4 maps (and no selectable difficulty levels, it seems). Since I don't really care about the sp or PvP, it's pretty limited content.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

All I can say from the demo is that the co-op is really fun. It's kind of like Gears with the cover system (but less enjoyable gunplay thanks to the gamepad), but the character is a whole lot more agile. You're basically running all over the place, jumping and diving in and out of cover, climbing buildings, running and meleeing enemies; it's pretty fast-paced.

One of the co-op modes has you having to pick up a treasure, then bring it back to a location, while fending off endless enemies. Since you have specific objectives, you have to keep moving, while defending against enemies from every direction. Makes the gameplay very dynamic.

I'll be picking up the game at the bargain bin, though. Apparently the co-op campaign only has like 3 levels, and the gold rush as described above (+ survival) only have 4 maps (and no selectable difficulty levels, it seems). Since I don't really care about the sp or PvP, it's pretty limited content.

Why not rent or Gamefly it, play and awesome campaign and be done with it?

Coop has a campaign?

And gold rush gets more difficult with each Round. A round last until you deliver the treasure form its location to the chest. I've gotten to Round 7 and there the 3 of use bit the dust.

I have way more fun in the other Coop mode. But all multiplayer is about fun anyway and leveling up so you get better booster and pwn easier and more effectively.

Besides there's already DLC planned and it might even include new Coop maps.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

There's a *separate* co-op campaign. Demo had one level. Full game apparently only has 3.

Gold rush is a good fun challenge, yes. The problem was that we already got to the last wave (10) within 1-2 days of playing the game. And the full game has 4 freaking maps.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Ahem, demo has a *part* of one level.

Anyhoo, just finished the SP, good times. I think the reason so many reviewers hail it as the best game ever is because, while the gameplay boils down to platforming and shooting, it often does everything in its power to distract you from that. Instead of just platforming, it will have you platform while a helicopter chases you. Instead of QTEs, it will bring up a reticle and have you start shooting during a cutscene. Nowhere is this design philosophy more evident than in the vehicle sections, where you are not actually driving a vehicle but rather climbing on them as they move. In essence, you're just shooting your way through a linear level like with any shooter, but because so much is going on in the environment it is more exciting than it would otherwise be.

UC2 may indeed be a masterpiece, but it is arguably one of pacing and production values more than actual gameplay.

This is not to say the pacing is consistent throughout. At times it will seem like one crazy scripted event after another, and then you'll spend most of the next hour platforming and puzzle-solving in a deserted ruin. For me, there were indeed times where I grew rather tired either of fighting increasingly large hordes or of platforming; particularly as the game neared its end and felt compelled to "challenge" me. That said, it does a good job of keeping things moving in most cases, and depending on your tastes the pacing may be perfect.

As for the story/characters/tone, like the gameplay it's a series of interwoven cliches. The story is faithful to the first game's formula, starting out with a treasure hunt and taking a turn towards the supernatural. Characters exist pretty much for the purpose of banter and occasionally as a prop. As with their combat AI, as long as you don't expect much out of them they add flavor. The sense of humor is similar to the first game, though slightly improved if I may be so bold.

On a personal note, the CQC has been slightly beefed up for UC2, which I found quite enjoyable. Don't expect to do the same cool combos in PvP though, as they were removed from those modes.

To sum up, UC2 has improved on pretty much everything from the first game and added good multiplayer functionality. For me, this elevated the franchise from a competent yet somewhat bland experience to a legitimate contender for PS3's killer app. Because the SP really is just a spectacular wall dressing for the same old mechanics, I can't in good conscience call it the best game ever. That said, I pity anyone who can't enjoy the game for what it is.

I heard that the

supernatural

element was somewhat controversial, but surely it doesn't ruin the whole game? There's still fun dialogue and somewhat fun shooting, right?

Dunno yet. I got pretty p*ssed off but I'm probably going to give it another shot in a few days. The game does deserve a second chance, it's been really good fun thus far.

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

Uncharted 2!? More like Uncharted POO! :down:

Bah, who am I kidding... jealous 360 player. ;)

The last game I bought based on reviews alone was GTA IV, I got about halfway through it before I thought I'd die of boredom, and even that was just because I'd had a medical operation and was immobilised at home for over two weeks. Soyeah, even if it gets glowing reviews, the core gameplay of 'platform/shooter' just. does. not. interest. me. OTOH, if DAO isn't out the next time a doctor decides to mess with my insides, I might pick up the first one from the bargain bin just to see what the fuss is all about. (... like I did with GTA IV) :p

I swear, GTA IV must only be fun to people who've never had to juggle work, girlfriend(s) and friends in real life.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif