Where should I travel?

Humodour

So Wals's thread got me thinking about the Australian dollar and how for the next year or so it'll be appreciating against most currencies.

Well, I've never been overseas, and by about December or so this year I'll have over $10,000 saved. I have few debts or monetary obligations (besides owing my mother a netbook - long story), and I'm going totally bat**** cooped up in this town. I say it is time to go on a holiday!

Any ideas? I think I'd like to go for at least 2 weeks. I'm not sure what I'd do overseas, though. I'm a huge fan of exploring, bushwalking, climbing, etc. Love rainforests, caves, and ruins.

Maybe now would be a good time to explore Iceland's glaciers like I've been planning since my senior years of high school. I put it off because it was so expensive there. Their currency tanked though, right? Oh wow, it's still tanking! One year ago 1 AUD was worth 60 krona, now it's worth 120 and rising. Hah! I even know basic Icelandic.

So, yeah, hit me with places to visit but also activities and things to do overseas.

You might try SoCal. Yosemite is nice (admittedly you want to hit it around may rather than "Oh god my face is melting from heat" July/august) and you can get to Disney in a day.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The UK can be good for visitors, but you need to have the inside scoops. Too many rip-offs.

What kind of stuff do you like to do on holiday?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I can recommend New Zealand. Not that far away either :ermm:

...otherwise the Mediterranean. Sicily is interesting, as is some of the Greek islands.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Of course. Thailand. Food, women (local and travelling), beaches, culture and the chance of a good coup while you're there. The beer's OK, too.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Where you should travel depends on how old you are, and how much you hate stereotypical tourists.

Although come think of it the two are probably directly proportional.

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I'm 21. I dislike tours. I love physically getting out there and exploring, especially off the beaten track. I regularly go hiking in the Blue Mountains rainforests here where tourists to Australia sometimes get lost and die because they are horrible individuals.

I'm kind of realising I want to things:

1) To meet new people and experience new cultures and languages and beers

2) To explore new worlds, landscapes, rainforests, caves, volcanoes and glaciers - potentially by myself, and certainly at my own pace.

Kinda mutually exclusive, huh? I guess I should get with number 2 for this trip. It's easier, cheaper, and doesn't require a foreign language.

I'm kind of an Anglophile, so I would also suggest the UK. Lovely place, even if I didn't much care for the food. The history is the big draw for me there. I would think that Australia would provide enough natural wonders to keep you satisfied, but super Cal is right about Yosemite. It's a splendid place, Some of the scenery is breathtaking. Same goes for Hawaii, which I've visited a couple of times. If you're into the night life, Las Vegas would work really well and it's surprisingly inexpensive. Night life is not my cup of tea, but some folks think it's the bomb. Great desert surrounding it, though, which is a big plus for me. Hell, the Grand Canyon isn't that far away if you think about it. Japan is great, and you might even get a chance to check out South Korea if you can hit both places. The flight isn't that bad so you could make it a two for one special. If you try the east coast of the US, New York is a must see. If I remember correctly, crime is still way down from the bad old days and it's really a sight.

Frankly, I'd go to Europe simply because there are so many nations close together. If you want to take the time getting to know different folks and try different cuisine and brews, you've got the most exposure there.

I'm 21. I dislike tours. I love physically getting out there and exploring, especially off the beaten track. I regularly go hiking in the Blue Mountains rainforests here where tourists to Australia sometimes get lost and die because they are horrible individuals.

I'm kind of realising I want to things:

1) To meet new people and experience new cultures and languages and beers

2) To explore new worlds, landscapes, rainforests, caves, volcanoes and glaciers - potentially by myself, and certainly at my own pace.

Kinda mutually exclusive, huh? I guess I should get with number 2 for this trip. It's easier, cheaper, and doesn't require a foreign language.

Try Hawaii. it has every one of these but glaciers.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Ok, thanks for elucidating. Plcaes I'd like to go with those aims would include Poland, Mozambique, and Alaska.

Alaska is full of nutters, and very friendly, but the most expensive. It's also probably not the best time of year unless you like winter sports.

Mozambique is the cheapest, and the food is pretty good, but it requires a bit of Africanista nous, and a willingness to stumble across landmines, snakes, malaria etc.

Poland interests me because there is quite a bit of history, the infrastructure isn't bad, and the food and beer is good. the language doesn't seem too bonkers and I'm certain that if you bothered to learn it they'd be appreciative.

Speaking of languages, if you did decide to go to Thailand (and I don't think it would meet your objectives) then go to the North and learn the northern dialect. Lots of people know southern Thai, but virtually noone knows northern dialect.

-Elwood Blues

If you happen to follow option 1, I'd recommend Eastern Europe. Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia and the like. Gorgeous cities, good beer, a multitude of cultures, and if you get out of town you should be able to see great sights.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

For partying, you cant beat Asia. The things I did and saw whilst carving a path through the Phillippines, Thailand and Singapore will be with me for life, particularly Pattaya Beach Thailand. :o

For cultural crapola like hanging with the natives and touring, I highly recommend Valparaiso Chile. The genuinely nicest people I have ever met, the women are smoking hot, the exchange rate is ridiculous and the nightlife rocks.

Maybe now would be a good time to explore Iceland's glaciers like I've been planning since my senior years of high school. I put it off because it was so expensive there. Their currency tanked though, right? Oh wow, it's still tanking! One year ago 1 AUD was worth 60 krona, now it's worth 120 and rising. Hah! I even know basic Icelandic.

So, yeah, hit me with places to visit but also activities and things to do overseas.

I have 2 long term 'net buddies who live in Iceland. I could ask them whether they think now (or anytime soon) would be a good time to visit or not.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I can recommend New Zealand. Not that far away either ;)

...otherwise the Mediterranean. Sicily is interesting, as is some of the Greek islands.

come to NZ! i can get you boozed :(

also a friend of mine is an outdoor instructor

he keeps bugging me to take time off work and go climbing/kayaking/caving/etc with him

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I think you should go to Millington Tennessee. Check out some of the local bars... make sure you tell them how much the USA sucks while you there, I'm sure they would love to hear your thoughts on it... :thumbsup:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Speaking of which, GD, is it still cool to mention the UK over your way? I get the impression our credentials as loyal ally have faded.

-Elwood Blues

One of them said (about Iceland):

Now in general is a good time to visit because of the currency issues like he mentioned but I'm not so sure of the time of year if he wants to look at glaciers and volcanoes. In December (or now in October for that matter) all of the interior highlands are of limits. Still I imagine that you could go on tours throughout the year to see the waterfalls, geysers and glaciers in the South (generally the biggest tourist attractions). Most of the time the main roads near the coastline are open but they could still be closed by storms and icy conditions on short notice so any visits to the countryside at that time could be interrupted.

If he wants to see glaciers at that time I'd suggest visiting J

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Speaking of which, GD, is it still cool to mention the UK over your way? I get the impression our credentials as loyal ally have faded.

Nah, Brits are always cool. Heck we're not even pissed at the French anymore since Sarkozy came along. Canada is ok because if they get out of line we'll just take another one of their hockey teams away. No one has anything against Scandinavians, Aussies, or Kiwis either. Would that the reverse were true... :thumbsup:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Nah, Brits are always cool. Heck we're not even pissed at the French anymore since Sarkozy came along. Canada is ok because if they get out of line we'll just take another one of their hockey teams away. No one has anything against Scandinavians, Aussies, or Kiwis either. Would that the reverse were true... ;)

I think you chaps rock. Strange notions about government notwithstanding. :p

-Elwood Blues