Dragon Age

Set equations always confused me. :-

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

As far as I remember those are called inequalities. Well, maybe it's no longer politically correct to teach inequality in high school so they've changed the name to "equation"?

Don't you get technical with me. I have a bass and not afraid of using it.

*rubs the bass*Such a nice bass. Nice basssssssssssssss.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Just saw, what's it, the Ashes video, that everyone seemed to be up in arms about? Is that the one where they're going over a snowy cliff?

It's a cutscene in a Bioware narrative, it's meant to provide some fun Hollywood action, gloriously entertaining in its polished cliche. Which I think it did just fine. Most facial animations (or rather, the expressions themselves were crap), especially the Imoen-chick when she gets the bow, but still.

And I have no idea why anybody's trying to infer gameplay elements from an obvious CGI cutscene, it surely has to plumb the very deepest of pointless arguments when you say 'enemies die too fast in a cutscene' or something. Though maybe people are referring to another movie? I can't keep track of them all now. :-

I imagine the Biowarian Quality equation will be like this, at least for me:

DA > BG > BG2 > ME > JE > KotOR1 > NWN1

Or like this:

DA ≥ BG, DA ≠ NWN1

Translation for any who may have need of it:

DA is greater than or equal to BG, when DA does not equal NWN1.

Edited by Syraxis

For those of you interested in difficulty:

Posted 10/13/09 02:23 (GMT) by Chris Priestly

Who is staring on Nigtmare difficulty? Idiots, that's who.

I STRONGLY suggest you do not try to play the game on Nightmare to start. It is HARD to play on nightmare. Heck, it is hard to play on normal (some encounters more than others obviously). If you try to start on nightmare you will not have fun trying to learn how the combat works. YOU WILL DIE. LOTS.

If you don't think normal is what you want (yes yes, I'm sure you are much more leet than everyone else) try it on hard first. At least until you get through your origin story where you will have a better idea of the combat basics. Then, if it isn't challenging enough for you, switch to Nightmare.

To put it anotehr way, I have played EVERYTHING in DAO. All plots, all encounters. I know what spells or weapons of abilities to use against which creatures and what to expect around each corner. i STILL die all the time on Nightmare.

In the end it is up to you, but I STRONGLY suggest this is not a good thing to do.

:evil:

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I liked the trailer.

edit: Well, I didn't like the "music" but tha't not really all that critical.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If you don't think normal is what you want (yes yes, I'm sure you are much more leet than everyone else)

What a nonsensical and unprofessional way to converse.

Heroes are guys in full plate with swords. Monsters have to act stupid so guys in full plate can attack them with their swords. We wouldn't want anyone but Mr. Int-Is-My-Drop-Stat to kill the dragon.

It seemed pretty clear the mage killed the dragon.

Heroes are guys in full plate with swords. Monsters have to act stupid so guys in full plate can attack them with their swords. We wouldn't want anyone but Mr. Int-Is-My-Drop-Stat to kill the dragon.

But the glowing-blue-eyed-warrior-guy got to "kill" it at the end by stabbing its head. :ermm:

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

^ Yeah Maria is employing a bit of a la Monte style hyperbole there. The PC dumb-ass sword-toting hero gently taps the dragon on the side of it's swede once in the entire combat. It's quite clear that snarky mage chick decides to end the boy's play-time using magic, an inversion of what Maria describes.

Now it's finished, I see shades of 300 (looking over the rim of his shield at the horde.... "steady") and yeah, the muzak is a bit meh. Then again it is punctuated by BG-1 homage type choral stuff. Which is cool. Lastly, Morrigan in that, for some reason reminds me of Miranda Richardson.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

And I have no idea why anybody's trying to infer gameplay elements from an obvious CGI cutscene, it surely has to plumb the very deepest of pointless arguments when you say 'enemies die too fast in a cutscene' or something. Though maybe people are referring to another movie? I can't keep track of them all now. :ermm:

I thought I was the only one completely perplexed by the ridiculously moronic and empty "issues" being argued. The one that got me was something about having to have party members (even though you don't have to take them along and you are only forced to keep 1) or something like that. I equated it to a person saying madden was horse s because you couldn't solo a team with just your quarterback. Then my mind went numb from all the senselessness.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

But the glowing-blue-eyed-warrior-guy got to "kill" it at the end by stabbing its head. :ermm:

Ahh, that's right.

For those of you interested in difficulty:

Posted 10/13/09 02:23 (GMT) by Chris Priestly

Who is staring on Nigtmare difficulty? Idiots, that's who.

I STRONGLY suggest you do not try to play the game on Nightmare to start. It is HARD to play on nightmare. Heck, it is hard to play on normal (some encounters more than others obviously). If you try to start on nightmare you will not have fun trying to learn how the combat works. YOU WILL DIE. LOTS.

If you don't think normal is what you want (yes yes, I'm sure you are much more leet than everyone else) try it on hard first. At least until you get through your origin story where you will have a better idea of the combat basics. Then, if it isn't challenging enough for you, switch to Nightmare.

To put it anotehr way, I have played EVERYTHING in DAO. All plots, all encounters. I know what spells or weapons of abilities to use against which creatures and what to expect around each corner. i STILL die all the time on Nightmare.

In the end it is up to you, but I STRONGLY suggest this is not a good thing to do.

:evil:

If the game lives up to this, that is the best news I've heard about it so far.

It's nice that they tried, but they should probably just outsource the CG or something. They're idea of epic combat is pretty weird and has almost nothing to do with the actual combat in the game.

They did outsource the trailer. It's made be famous california based Blur studios. I have strong feeling of deja-vu, didn't we already discuss about this trailer and in this same board ?

have to go check....

edit - found it http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?s=&am...st&p=979343

Edited by Niten_Ryu

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Is the red-haired archer girl a in-game NPC or just a random character conjured up by the CGI team? She kinda reminds me of Catti-brie.

That's Leliana

If you don't think normal is what you want (yes yes, I'm sure you are much more leet than everyone else)

I can totally sympathise with him.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I liked the trailer. My question is why do dragons always give up their air superiority, strategic view and speed advantage in the air to land on the ground to be distracted and attacked from the flanks? :(

If I was a dragon I would just fly around and breath fire on everything that moved.

Alternate question: why do dragons fly around in random directions and attack the non-hostile environment (in this case snow and ruins) instead of their enemies?

I liked the trailer. My question is why do dragons always give up their air superiority, strategic view and speed advantage in the air to land on the ground to be distracted and attacked from the flanks? :(

If I was a dragon I would just fly around and breath fire on everything that moved.

Alternate question: why do dragons fly around in random directions and attack the non-hostile environment (in this case snow and ruins) instead of their enemies?

Because it looks cool, dragons are obviously vain.

Might as well ask why the bad guys are just standing around waiting to be pushed off a cliff or until an arrow hits them in the forehead, or attacking the power-armoured generic Hero Dude one-by-one in Pterry fashion.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Its a post from a message board not Shakespeare.

I liked the trailer. My question is why do dragons always give up their air superiority, strategic view and speed advantage in the air to land on the ground to be distracted and attacked from the flanks? :lol:

Might as well ask why the bad guys are just standing around waiting to be pushed off a cliff or until an arrow hits them in the forehead, or attacking the power-armoured generic Hero Dude one-by-one in Pterry fashion.

The people pushed off a cliff was trying to swarm the party; the guy hit by the arrow was the spell caster lobbing spells (and, I guess because his hands were glowing about to lob another).

Its a convention of any mass fight in entertainment that people don't dogpile their opponents. For one it'd ruin martial arts films, for another I'm not sure I'd be that eager to jump on a pile when I had no clue where everyone's swords were. :(

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the dragon was frying some of the swarming "orc" horde in the ruins, not flaming the ruins for no good reason.

And if it wasn't the orc horde it was flaming, it probably just wanted to warm the land up a bit before setting itself on it and giving itself a chilly willy belly.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man