Discussion of Dragon Age and such.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

One mandatory NPC (in a party, it will be remembered, of only four) is a mandatory NPC too many.

For the record, I don't know where you got this. I thought it was quite clear at this stage that you're more than able to attempt to solo the game (save a few points here and there). When people say "mandatory NPC" they are not talking about that NPC taking up one of your 4 party slots.

Edited by alanschu

New comic from CTRL+ALT+DEL

pic

They're a poor man's Penny Arcade.

Oh hey, a CAD that was worth the 4 seconds to read!

Bioware was doing fine before they started watering down their gameplay. BG2 was as party-focused as it gets, and you can solo just fine. All it takes is *gasp* careful planning.
Well, you did gain XP 6 times faster if you solo'd.

Maybe you're the one not getting it.

Cheers.

+1 Edited by Oner

Awesome CGI, and I'm actually getting used to the guitar music.

But other than that, not much to say about it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

That comic was actually funny.

It's just the usual CAD featuring humor for the lowest common denominator and the occasional miscarriage. Yahtzee hated on him a while ago.

Also, here's a good comparison of CAD vs PA

OK, you win this one. But PA misfires quite a bit too.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

One mandatory NPC (in a party, it will be remembered, of only four) is a mandatory NPC too many.

For the record, I don't know where you got this. I thought it was quite clear at this stage that you're more than able to attempt to solo the game (save a few points here and there). When people say "mandatory NPC" they are not talking about that NPC taking up one of your 4 party slots.

In which case I'm confused.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The Sacred Ashes trailer is out. This time it's complete and in HD.
Still horrible. The only good part is when the PC blocks the throwing axe(?).

And you guys were complaining about the New **** trailer. :ermm:

I assume (complete speculation) that Alister is the manditory party member. You're both Gray Wardens under Duncan, so if he orders the two of you to stick together, you will.
If there is one, it could be Morrigan too. Didn't they say in her introductory trailer that she'd have a big role in the story or something? Edited by Oner

I assume (complete speculation) that Alister is the manditory party member. You're both Gray Wardens under Duncan, so if he orders the two of you to stick together, you will.

If there is one, it could be Morrigan too. Didn't they say in her introductory trailer that she'd have a big role in the story or something?

I think a writer said she's important, but IIRC David said the mandatory character is of the dude persuasion.

Maybe it's the dog.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

If there is one, it could be Morrigan too. Didn't they say in her introductory trailer that she'd have a big role in the story or something?

I think a writer said she's important, but IIRC David said the mandatory character is of the dude persuasion.

Maybe it's the dog.

I'm pretty sure some preview specified that Alistair was indeed mandatory party member. Of course, I'm running a fever so I could be hallucinating and don't care enough to look it up, anyway.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yeah, but I don't expect fantasy clothing to be realistic in a game (otherwise you'd be carrying around a lot of clothing for a variety of situations)

At least they're wearing cloaks against the cold (albeit apparently with low-cut, cleavage exposing tops in one case)*

*not an issue if they're magic cloaks of warm-snugglyness

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Still confused about this 'mandatory character', being old-fashioned I took mandatory to mean, well, mandatory.

How can you have three NPCs you've chosen in your party of four plus a 'mandatory' NPC?

Mandatory as in you can't kill or tell him to leave, only send 'im to your camp.