MPEG 4 Codec

Darth Sithari

VLC is not as good a choice as it seems, its ineffective, unnescessarily resource intensiva and can give artefacts and framedrops when watching video. Its especially bad at HD video. Its like using a swiss army knife instead of proper tools.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I tried the latest version with a 720p x264 film, to my amazement, VLC doesnt seem to have any kind of algorithm for scaling the picture. I got old school bitmap-blocks when I tried to run it fullscreen. I tried looking in the options to enable lanczos3 or even simple linear scaling, but no, gave up after 15min. Complete rubbish.

I run Media Player Classic Home cinema edition x64 with FFDshow on my desktop(slow) and CoreAVC+Xvid on my laptop(fast)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Based on this thread, I had to check out VLC. It seems ok (for general all purpose playback anyway) but I like my Nero+winamp combo better for playing DVD's & music.

I do have one question...where's the "repeat constant/loop" option for playback on VLC? I can't find it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Never heard of 7-zip either. I've been using Nero (DVD) and k-lite (standard w/the media classic player) so long I guess I haven't looked for other options. I only use Winamp for music, I hate their video option.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm with Masterfade on this one. MPC (due to it's superiority when it comes to HD content) and Foobar2000. When I listen to MP3s, that is, but in this day and age of Spotify that becomes increasingly rare.

And VLC for backup when MPC has problems.

(coming to think of it, since I reinstalled my computer a while back, I'm not sure I've installed any media program other than Spotify. The PC has been replaced by Popcorn Hour in regards to movie files)

VLC is not as good a choice as it seems, its ineffective, unnescessarily resource intensiva and can give artefacts and framedrops when watching video. Its especially bad at HD video. Its like using a swiss army knife instead of proper tools.

You're the first person I've ever heard talk about VLC like that, and I suspect I won't hear many after you.

Although they could stand to spruce up the interface (and not with flashy graphics like Microsoft's media player, but simply smart GUI design, including better playlist management).

I don't use it on Linux primarily for that reason - Amarok is simply better (except for those stupid glitchy videos that require VLC's superb error-handling abilities).

Edited by Krezack

I really like VLC's simple hotkeys. Most of the players need like a three key combo to go full screen or switch to next track.

Nero's like that too. I love their DVD playback interface. At least, with my version of Nero. I acquired the OEM suite 3 of Nero 6 when I bought a piece of hardware years ago. Upgraded it once...doesn't have all the capabilities of a full version of course but it's worked fine for basic nub things-CD/DVD burning, making simple slide shows, DVD watching etc-and still does. As long as it works on whatever OS I'm using, I'll keep using it. :D

I never record any video more complex than FRAPS game vids so no need for those features.